Uneven Picture After Service - Help Needed

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
September 6, 2005 4:40:10 PM

A while back, my red bulb burnt out in my WS 55411. Since it was
replaced, the image is uneven (the height of the picture gets narrow as
you move from the center to the left of the screen) and off-center (too
far to the right). I spoke to L Alpert and he provided me with the
service manual for the v20 chassis. I made some adjustments and was
able to slightly improve the image but it is still uneven and slightly
to the right. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
September 6, 2005 11:08:30 PM

Art,

I had the service done about 6 months ago and didn't notice it until
recently. I was very busy with finishing up grad school and planning
my wedding, and I didn't really have time to watch TV. Lately, I've
been watching alot, especially since I got digital cable and I noticed
that the picture shape was slightly off. I took a look at some DVDs
also to make sure that it didn't have anything to do with the new cable
box and I saw the same thing. Anyway, it might just be easier to make
the adjustments myself if possible through the available service menus.
L Alpert recommended Leonard Caillouet as a resource who might know.
Hopefully, he'll come across this thread. If you have any ideas, feel
free to share.

Thanks,
Victor
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 12:58:06 AM

Who did the service for you? Seems if you compensated a tech to do the work
they are responsible to complete it competently.
"victor" <eskenazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>A while back, my red bulb burnt out in my WS 55411. Since it was
> replaced, the image is uneven (the height of the picture gets narrow as
> you move from the center to the left of the screen) and off-center (too
> far to the right). I spoke to L Alpert and he provided me with the
> service manual for the v20 chassis. I made some adjustments and was
> able to slightly improve the image but it is still uneven and slightly
> to the right. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

September 7, 2005 10:10:19 PM

Could always call Thomson, subscribe for the Service Literature after
becoming an authorized servicer, and then do all the pertainent adjustments.
Clearly a job for a professional, mess up the wrong parementres in the
service menu and you migh as well put a eye hook into the top of the set,
IMHO!
> Art,
>
> I had the service done about 6 months ago and didn't notice it until
> recently. I was very busy with finishing up grad school and planning
> my wedding, and I didn't really have time to watch TV. Lately, I've
> been watching alot, especially since I got digital cable and I noticed
> that the picture shape was slightly off. I took a look at some DVDs
> also to make sure that it didn't have anything to do with the new cable
> box and I saw the same thing. Anyway, it might just be easier to make
> the adjustments myself if possible through the available service menus.
> L Alpert recommended Leonard Caillouet as a resource who might know.
> Hopefully, he'll come across this thread. If you have any ideas, feel
> free to share.
>
> Thanks,
> Victor

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:40:13 AM

"victor" <eskenazi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Art,
>
> I had the service done about 6 months ago and didn't notice it until
> recently. I was very busy with finishing up grad school and planning
> my wedding, and I didn't really have time to watch TV. Lately, I've
> been watching alot, especially since I got digital cable and I noticed
> that the picture shape was slightly off. I took a look at some DVDs
> also to make sure that it didn't have anything to do with the new cable
> box and I saw the same thing. Anyway, it might just be easier to make
> the adjustments myself if possible through the available service menus.
> L Alpert recommended Leonard Caillouet as a resource who might know.
> Hopefully, he'll come across this thread. If you have any ideas, feel
> free to share.
>
> Thanks,
> Victor

I noted the thread. What you need is a careful geometry alignment and this
is something that can be tricky if you are not very familiar with the
controls on the specific series of sets, familiar with the concepts of
convergence in RPTV, and very experienced. I would not even begin to try to
talk you through it. There are too many variables involved and the set has
been serviced by someone who obviously did not align it properly. It might
have come out of the box that way and he just matched the red to the other
existing alignments or he might have just screwed it up. If you have some
specific questions I can answer them, but a tutorial on how to fix your set
is impractical.

Leonard
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:41:23 AM

"Art" <arthurgernberg@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Could always call Thomson, subscribe for the Service Literature after
> becoming an authorized servicer, and then do all the pertainent
> adjustments. Clearly a job for a professional, mess up the wrong
> parementres in the service menu and you migh as well put a eye hook into
> the top of the set, IMHO!

TCE is unlikely to provide service literature on the Mitsubishi.

Leonard
!