billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Ok so I have been playing swap the power supply lately and I have been getting really good at switching them out (unfortunately). I need to choose one before my newegg refund runs out and then i have no choice at all.

PSU 1: OCZ EliteXStream OCZ800EXS 800W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341013

PSU 2: IGMATEK MC NRP-MC851 850W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V Ver. 2.92 Power Supply 100 - 240 V cUL, CE, TUV, FCC - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817815003

I started out with a OCZ GamerXStream 700 W, was too noisy, RMA'ed. They offered to send me back the 800W one and that was cool. I bought the Xigmatek to cover the time id have without a PSU and thought I would either return it later, or sell the OCZ one Ebay if I liked it more.

Well now I can't decide. The Xigmatek is modular, so all the cables look very nice, good airflow, except the thing runs hot. I would say, 5C + hotter, and it heats up the case. The fan does a kinda crappy job sucking air in and through the PSU. Processor gets about 50C while playing COD4, VGA's get to about 70C (until fans kick in and level it off).

The OCZ is not modular, so even though i did my best, the cables are still kinda all over. They didn't wrap the molex, SATA or PCI-E cables , only at the very beginning of the cable, so it looks kinda ridiculous. But the thing works nice, doesnt get too hot, little warm, but thats normal. The fan sucks in some good air. Seems a bit noisier to me though. And there is no blue LED in it like the Xigmatek, which i kinda of like.

So, basically I need help deciding which of these to keep. Base the decision on whatever you like because I can't decide. Oh yeah and system is specs is in the signature.

Thanks

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Sounds like OCZ is winning, which was kind of expected. I can manage all the extra cables in the case so they are outa the way. Any suggestions about where to get/what to use to wrap those cables to clean things up?