How do I create a DOS boot CD-ROM for bios upgrade?

I need to upgrade my bios via CD-ROM, and I can't figure out how to create a bootable CD-ROM for the job. Any help here would be great. THanks.
15 answers Last reply
More about create boot bios upgrade
  1. I would certainly never suggest trying to update your BIOS from a CD. During a BIOS update, your old BIOS is copied first and written to the drive, in other words you need to do the update from a writable drive. If you don't have a floppy drive, I would highly suggest you spend $10 and buy one and use it for your BIOS update. I have had good success using some manufacturers Window's version of the updater, although I do prefer the old DOS-only method. Anyway, it does require you to use a drive that is writable during the update. You may be able to get away with it, but updating your BIOS can very easlily leave you with a dead motherboard if it's not done correctly. FACT. It happens to people all the time.
  2. Newer boards have a built-in BIOS flash utility accessible from the boot screen (like BIOS settings) and can access USB keys; might be less of a waste to get a USB key than a floppy.
  3. usb is just as good as floppy, but faster...i killed my 2900xt by flashing from cd because i couldnt save my original bios and i had an unsuccessful flash. floppy is ok if you can stand the slow read and write times.
  4. Oh, I didn't know that it could be done with a flash drive. How do I do that?
  5. Depends on the board, what MB do you have.

As an example, this is the intruction for Gigabyte's Q-Flash utility.
  6. It is an Asus P4S8X-MX
  7. Your board has EZ-Flash, which is kind of like Q-Flash, but I don't know if it supports USB keys. Take a look at page 2-3 of your user manual for instructions (or here for pdf); it seems you have to press <ALT>+<F2> at boot to enter EZ-Flash.
  8. Ok, well, it doesn't seem like I am able to boot from USB, so what is this EZ-Flash thing and how do I use it?
  9. Van Halen Man said:
    Ok, well, it doesn't seem like I am able to boot from USB, so what is this EZ-Flash thing and how do I use it?

Answer:
    Anonymous said:
    Take a look at page 2-3 of your user manual for instructions (or here for pdf); it seems you have to press <ALT>+<F2> at boot to enter EZ-Flash.
    If you cannot boot from USB, EZ-Flash might not be able to see the USB key either...
  10. Ok, well EZ-Flash can't boot from USB either. It says checking floppy, then once it realizes there is not floppy, it says checking CD-ROM. Is upgrading from a CD-ROM using EZ-Flash STILL a bad idea? Becuase I REALLY don't want to upgrade with a floppy drive....
  11. Van Halen Man said:
    Ok, well EZ-Flash can't boot from USB either. It says checking floppy, then once it realizes there is not floppy, it says checking CD-ROM. Is upgrading from a CD-ROM using EZ-Flash STILL a bad idea? Becuase I REALLY don't want to upgrade with a floppy drive....
    I'm not sure it's THAT much of a problem, but if you have no way of backing-up the current BIOS, if the new flash fail, you might be the proud owner of a motherboard-shaped-brick.
  12. I got the motherboard from a friend and he upgraded the bios when HE had it, and he gave me a disk that had the original bios and the current so that should be alright.
  13. Make sure all the BIOSes are on the CD because if the flash fails, you must not reboot.
  14. Quick question: Was the Flash drive formatted with FAT32? If you use NTDS it will fail.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets BIOS Boot CD-Rom DOS Motherboards