Mouse freezes then 2seconds later disappears then system frozen

Orca389

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
My system Silicon Integrated Systems SIS755. Athlon 64 2800+ with 1gig memory. XP MCE with SP2. Radeon 9250 video.

The system will freeze maybe 3 times in one hour or just once a day. The system mouse cursor freezes its position and 2 seconds later disappears. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work only front panel reset or on-off will work after that.

I've tried different cpu different heatsink and fan checked for overheating. swapped out memory tried just 512meg. Tried Nvdia for video.

It acts like a memory leak that runs out of memory. Had AVG and Zonealarm switched to PCtools antivirus and firewall still the same. Tried reducing all services to minimum.

Might still be a virus but not sure how to find it. I know IT would just say reinstall but that is not fixing just slam dunk without knowing why. System has no ! marks and admin show no conflicts.

Haven't tried Safe mode long enough to know if it happens there. I have run and still do run chkdsk /r from reboot and also from MCE system disk. Usually to fix hang that causes BSOD or reboot issues.

Any Ideas from here would help. Any diagnostics that would find this or something intense like benchmark stuff that would always fail the same play any I may be able to fix this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Orca389

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

Thanks for your help I'm running Malwarebytes full scan now. Its only been 3hours but found one error already.

I had to start safemode twice because it hung so now I have also confirmed it hangs in safemode.
I will get back to you after finishing all your hints in the guide and a day of testing to see if it might be fixed.