How much is this CPU/Ram bottlenecking my graphics/games?

Hi everyone. :hello: This is my first post on the forums, and I'm not quite sure that this is the right section,but my question is indeed CPU related, so here goes...

I recently purchased a Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP with 512 mb to go into my current system, which is a Intel D865Perl with a 478 2.8 ghz Pentium 4 HT (512/800) with 1 gig of DDR 400 running in single channel and a 550 watt PSU.

Anyway...

I'm wondering how much this CPU and Ram is bottlenecking my game performance. I'm considering upgraging to a 3.2 Pentium 4 since they're pretty cheap on ebay right now and upgrading to 2 gigs of dual channel since my friend's giving me a good deal. I'm almost satisfied with my rig's performance right now, but I just wanted to know how dramatic those 2 upgrades would be for my frame rates in games.

I mainly play the Orange Box and Doom 3, but want to get my frame rates in Bioshock and UT3 closer to a constant 30fps (which I'm very close to) without turning settings down. Something like buying a better board isn't much of an option, but I'm mainly interested in maxing out the potential of my current system anyway.

What's your take, guys? Would dual channel ram and a 400 mhz faster processor make much of a difference? I'm not expecting a miracle, but I just wanna see my motherboard's full potential. Thanks a bunch! :)
8 answers Last reply
More about bottlenecking graphics games
  1. I would doubt that they are bottlenecking you that much. They may help, but in Bioshock and UT3, I bet the real bottleneck is the HD2600 Pro. It's a good card, but it isn't all that fast.

Adding another gig of RAM could help though, not because of speed but because of quantity.
  2. You aren't going to be getting a whole lot more...probably more with extra RAM than a different processor in that system. Also, your graphics card is probably holding you back as well, but with an AGP system, its really hard to recommend a card since they are hard to find and/or very overpriced anymore.

I would say 2 gig RAM would be your best bet first. I would say different GPU, but you a) just bought that one and b) its AGP.
  3. I do not think your CPU will bottleneck the system. I think your 2600 Pro AGP will bottleneck it. You should get 2GB of RAM for gaming first, try newegg.com.
  4. A friend of mine's selling me two 1 gig sticks for 50, so I think that's my best bet for now. Also, will upgrading to dual channel make a noticeable difference? I hear that Pentium 4's run much better with dual channel.
  5. ...uhh.

Barring a major upgrade, consider looking at an HD 3850 AGP card and some extra RAM. If you upgrade everything, you'll end up spending enough money that you might as well buy a new system on the cheap.
  6. deathbyguitar said:
    A friend of mine's selling me two 1 gig sticks for 50, so I think that's my best bet for now. Also, will upgrading to dual channel make a noticeable difference? I hear that Pentium 4's run much better with dual channel.

The dual channel probably won't make a difference, but the greater quantity of RAM probably will.
  7. Would it make a difference in framerates, studdering, or both?
  8. People often underestimate the difference a new cpu can make.

I had a Pentium D 3GHz paired with a Radeon 2600XT and in guildwars when I would stand in the middle of a huge crowd in town my FPS would be about 30.

With my new E2220 when I stand in a huge crowd my FPS is 58 (keep in mind I have vsync enabled so my max is 60)

So yea it helped some in that game.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs