GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4

here is my other hardware:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
GIGABYTE GV-R485-512H-B Radeon HD 4850
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I keep getting pulled between those two, but I am not sure whats best for the setup. I don't plan on OCing and I have a budget for $1200. I will be playing games at a res of 1280x1024.
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2008 6:26:02 PM

Well I can't vouch for the GigaByte board, but I have the P5Q Deluxe. It's a great overclocker (unfortunately you won't appreciate that feature), lots of features. It's cheaper than the GigaByte board. Since you game at 1280X1024, the 4850 is going to be overkill (except maybe Crysis), so you're not likely going to want to CrossFire where the X48 would be the better choice. So my vote would be the P5Q Deluxe.
August 16, 2008 6:43:26 PM

The the x48 board. Stronger chipset, stronger specs, does not bottleneck in cf mode.
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1472/7/page_7_benchma...
The chipset is the heart of a motherboard. X48 is a high end chipset, while p45 is mainstream. You're comparing a toyota to a bmw, no matter how well dressed, they're still a breed apart.

As for 4850 being overkill, it's not. On average, 4850 perform the same as an aging g92 8800gts. It was a mid range card that's never meant to be on the bleeding edge, even when first released.
Related resources
August 16, 2008 6:46:19 PM

The gigabyte X48 for sure.
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2008 3:59:28 AM

You missed the point I was trying to make dagger. He games at 1280X1024, the 4850 will be more than enough for any game at that resolution, therefore no need for CrossFire. I am well aware of the benchmarks that TweakTown has done concerning CrossFire, I was never arguing that point. I was simply stating that at the resolution he games at, CrossFire in pointless for all of today's games except for Crysis, where it should just be able to handle it with everything turned to high. I wasn't implying that the 4850 was overkill in general, just at the stated resolution.

August 17, 2008 4:30:20 PM

techgeek said:
You missed the point I was trying to make dagger. He games at 1280X1024, the 4850 will be more than enough for any game at that resolution, therefore no need for CrossFire. I am well aware of the benchmarks that TweakTown has done concerning CrossFire, I was never arguing that point. I was simply stating that at the resolution he games at, CrossFire in pointless for all of today's games except for Crysis, where it should just be able to handle it with everything turned to high. In wasn't implying that the 4850 was overkill in general, just at the stated resolution.

Playable frame rates at a given resolution is relative. As games gets heavier the largest resolution you can get useful fps at will decrease over time. What's enough today won't be tomorrow. It would be more useful to be able to add a second for upgrade when it becomes needed.

Aside from that. P5Q Deluxe cost $200 plus tax and shipping. That's the same price as x38/48 boards. How can you actually recommend someone spending the same amount of money for less? :sarcastic: 
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2008 6:14:56 PM

Well in Canada the GigaByte board is $50 dollars more than the P5Q Deluxe. Fifty dollars for a feature you may never use is quite a bit. I bought into the whole CrossFire thing when I built a C2D system as soon as they came out. At the time the only choice was 975X (P5W DH Deluxe). I was using that motherboard right up until last month. You know what I've discovered about multi card systems. Either you go multi card at the start, or you find that it makes more sense to replace the one card you have with a new faster single card from the next generation of cards.

As for recommending the P5Q Deluxe, I have personal experience with it. A month ago, I was in the same dilemma and I chose the cheaper route. Cheaper doesn't mean less in this case though. The P45 is quickly becoming the bell of the overclocking ball. They can reach amazing FSB speeds. Also they are built on 65nm vs 90nm. From what I've read and experience personally they run quite cool. Not that it's a big deal but you also get the newer ICH10R. So there are few reasons to recommend the P45.

When it comes right down to it, I don't have anything invested in convincing anyone one way or the other. When it comes right down to it, it's one person's opinion versus another. The person requested the advice has to weigh the merits of all the advice given and choose for themselves.
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2008 6:22:54 PM

dagger said:
Playable frame rates at a given resolution is relative. As games gets heavier the largest resolution you can get useful fps at will decrease over time. What's enough today won't be tomorrow.

Wow that's really profound and insightful. Did you figure that all by yourself? I would hope the newest generation's mid range card can play today's games well, and satisfactorily play games released a year from now. Games do advance, but except for Crysis, they don't normally outpace the tech available dramatically.
!