Building 15 Comps, Would love suggestions

rune1980

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I have been asked to put together 15 computers for an internet cafe. The computers are to be used for gaming. The price range isnt defined yet, but im looking for an affordable solution. 6months ago i made a computer (e2160 (overclocked), 2gb crucial cas4 ram, gigabyte p35-dsl mainboard, 8800gt top and a sweet modular ps from hyper) the whole system was rather cheap but performs really well. I was hoping to build a system similar to this, but with up to date parts. Anyone have a few mins to recommend a few pieces of hardware? Key words are affordability and ability to play new 3d games, overclockability would be appreciated as well.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
First.. Are you responsible for repair and maintenance? If so, are you paid to repair/maintain?

If the answer to the above question is yes ... refer them to the Dell website, you don’t won’t to deal with that crap unless you are paid for it.

2) What is the price range? This is a must...

3) Overclocking in an internet cafe? You want stability/longevity.. I wouldn’t do this for any kind of business venture.

4) I would go with something like q6600/8800gt and I would wait till the new video cards are released later this month… any savings is good when you multiply by 15 machines. I would ever consider 8800GTS (g92) if I could find a deal on 15 cards.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Also i would purchase from multiple locations.. whichever has the best deals.. shop,shop,shop!

Ram is cheap right now, get the cheapest 4gigs you can find, im sure you could get 4 gigs for under $60 a machine.

Excellent advice there from grieve.

As for AMD, yeah, if the budget is very low and you can't spend $210 on a CPU. Most games care more about the video card than the CPU anyway.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I'm sure with that many machines running in a business that power consumption would be a concern for them which would keep me away from either the Q6600 or overclocking. I just built a system for someone with a E2180 and a 8800GT and it had really good performance for a $500 machine.

Tatts

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Home built computers + Internet cafe = major headaches.

I just priced a computer on Dell similar to or slightly better than what you listed. With Vista Home Premium, 2GB RAM, 19" widescreen monitor, it's $659. Without the monitor, it's $469. And most importantly for a business, that includes 1 year of next-day onsite warranty. I'd be surprised if you could match that price. Even if you can match the parts price, you'd have to give your time away for free.

Restoring a hosed Dell with the restore CD is a piece of cake. If you build these, you'll need to make an image of each installed drive.

I'm not actually suggesting Dell over any other source, it was just a quick place I could grab some completed system prices. I think for a hobbyist, building your own computer is great (all but 2 of mine have been home-built), but you don't do it to save money, you do it for the experience. A business needs to offer reliable services to their customers at the best price, and I think commercial systems do it better.

gadgetnerd

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008

thats why i was saying most internet cafes have companys doing there set ups. all mine by me = alienware and dell XPS

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
E7200 is a MUST. Cool, dual-core, good price and just came out. Nice performer too.

8800GT another MUST on all of them. Cheap, single slot, nice performer, doesnt run hot.

Intel chipset (not motherboard, but chipset). Get a nice brand (asus, gigabyte, DFI) with a P35 chipset which should have everything a cafe web needs.

Any good brand (g.skill, OCZ, corsair) of ram with 4gbs of memory. At least DDR800 to make sure it runs fast.

Go for 320Gbs drives which should be spacious enough for many games. 400Gbs are not that far from price. WD has nice prices and its a great brand.

DVD drives, either ASUS or Sony (sony doesnt support lighscribe though)

Power supplies, you want to have a good brand. I would recommend Corsair (I own 2 and they own) or other choices are Antec or Silverstone.

And lastly, remember if you are looking for performance, GO FOR WINDOWS XP

Do NOT overclock ANY system, leave everything at defaults and you should be fine!
Overclocking would be dangerous and it might take you days to have all systems at estable settings so dont even touch settings. Stock settings should be fine for a coffe web and fast too.

Hope that helps

Peoples! Come on now! Get a clue here.....You call someone like Alienware/Gatway/Dell and tell them you want to buy 15 high-end gaming PC's for an Internet Cafe to be delivered all at once.....please give me your best quote. Do your homework and be prepared to tell them what you have in mind as far as hardware and requirements. Let them also have the option of giving you quotes on their idea of decent bank of high-end gaming rigs.

Spending the time shopping around and buying parts seperate and building them all yourself thinking you are going to save money is just completely ridiculous.

Call a few of these places and tell them you are shopping around for the best performance/deal and you ARE going to buy them, and see what kind of reponses you get, you will be surprised.

Buying 15 rigs will also get you support and even complete installion of the new PC's if you desire. Have them quote installation and setup as an additional option.

rune1980

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
As i said, the system i build for myself 5months ago was

cpu e2160
gpu 8800gt (g92)
ram 2gb crucial cas4
mb ga-p35-ds3l
psu hyper (modular)

The system im gonna build 15 copies of, is gonna be an equivalent to that, just up to date. The price range is 600-800$ give or take a few bucks.
As for the overclocking being non worthwhile, id have to disagree. mines been running flawlesly at 3.2ghz (stock 2.0) for half a year now.

rune1980

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
The plan was to save him some cash. As for the time used assembling them, thats my free time, just doing him a favor not trying to earn a living, i build elevators for cash =)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

I agree 100%

Although if you have 15 identical machines, you will need only 1 image.... which you could place on a CD.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

jitpublisher, I think you are right.
A dealer will give you a more economical deal on 15 machines then you can get if you build them from scratch....If it isn’t better it will be damn close, but you gain a year of service as well.

The OP really needs to realize he is going to be on the hook for these machines forever until they physically die in 3-7 years.

LESSON #1 – Never do computer work for friends! They’ll just keep calling… Does your mechanic friend fix your car for free EVERY time?

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
when your talking 15 machines in a biziness, energy use becomes more important.

toward that end, definatly get and 80+ PSU and a low wattage CPU in a low wattage mobo. a more energy efficient vid card.

if cutting back on energy usage is important to you, I'd at least consider AMD. if its very important to you, get a bunch of big laptops.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

OP- They are exactly right. Call up Dell, HP, or even Maingear and tell them you want to buy 15. They will offer you a great deal and a warranty which has more behind it then the money in your back pocket.

Also, listen to us and do NOT overclock business machines. Your ONE machine has been running flawlessly, but it does not run 24/7 and get abused like systems in an internet cafe. As others have said with 15 heat and energy are concerns and overclocking only exacerbates that.

Well, you are not going to save that much money doing it yourself. Overclocking 15 machines for a business, holy cow almighty what are you thinking?

It's your time, your friends money, and you both are going to share in the multiple and ever-lasing headaches that are going to arise from this situation, as most likely a ruined friendship to top it off.
Building a PC for a friend now and then is one thing, building a bunch of complete systems for a business is quite another.

You know, it will not hurt to shop around and just see what we are talking about, at least call a couple of places and see.

You ought to be commendated for so graciously offering to help a friend out, but you have to look at it realistically.