Buying an Overclocked CPU

rdrifter

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
I am building a home server, and I need some help to select a lower power CPU. I have narrowed down my choices to Intel E2140 and saw one in eBay...but according to the seller its overclocked so if I buy this can I set it back to its original setting?...

Thanks

:)

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
CPUs do not come overclocked. The motherboard adjust the power and stuff to make it run faster. when you install it in your system, it will run stock speed.
good luck!

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
he might have meant that "it was overclocked" rather than "it is" because as customisbetter said, it is defintely the motherboard that decides if a chip is OC'd or not

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
An overly descriptive ebayer, maybe even a bit of a scammer.

"Overclocking" is popular, so ad the word to your description to capture more bidders. I bet you can find somebody that overclocked their powersupply or even their case.

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Before we all get emotional over the issuew why don't we ask what the overclocked speed is compared to stock speed, it's common for even computer shops to sell overclocked systems, a moderate overclock won't hurt the cpu or other components. If however it's and extremely high overclock and I mean EXTREME, then don't buy it, cpu's brick themselves into a range etc etc.

rdrifter

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
thanks alot for all your replies....

According to him, he was using it with Watercooling. 1.4V Vcore and getting 3Ghz. and its MO stepping, but I don't know if its good or bad.

As far as the seller is concerned, looks ok to me. will try it get it around 20 or max 25

Thanks
:)

Mondoman

Splendid
rd - an Intel Celeron 430 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116039) will be MUCH lower power than an e2xxx CPU, and only costs $40 brand new with free shipping and free heatsink/fan, and warranty.
Meanwhile, you have a significant chance that the overclocked e2140 from ebay has been damaged, and will end up costing more than the Celeron once you pay for the CPU cooler and shipping.
If you go for the ebay CPU, at least make sure the seller offers a 14-day or longer warranty so you can verify that the CPU operates correctly.