Vista can't see my DVD drive....

moez

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Here's my story problem. I'm a newbie and have just finished my first build. I have an ASUS P5Q pro motherboard, a Q6600 processor, a samsung DVD RW and an ASUS DVD reader.

The samsung has a SATA connection, the ASUS has an IDE. I initially just hooked the samsung up to one of the SATA ports and set the ASUS up as a master to the IDE connector on the board.

Initially, when I went to load Vista, I couldn't get it to load at all until I put the CD into the ASUS drive and set the ASUS up to be first in the boot order in the BIOS. As a result, I had the BIOS Set up to look first at the ASUS, then the Samsung, then the floppy, then the hard drive (western digital 750 gig drive).

That got it all loaded... but - then I couldn't see the ASUS drive once I got into Vista - only the Samsung. Now, I know that the ASUS works, because I had to use it to load Vista....

I've subsequently gone in and tried to make the following changes; 1) I changed the BIOS to every single variation of boot priorities that I could; 2) I changed the ASUS DVD drive to be a slave instead of the master by changing the jumper and cable hookup.... nothing - I still can't see it in Vista.

I'm hoping that I'm providing enough information to help to diagnose this. If anyone has any ideas as to what else I can try, I'd really appreciate hearing them!

Thanks,
Moez

moez

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and when it tried to boot up, it took me to the screen that said it could not load windows - I'm guessing that it couldn't find my hard drive now (sata). When I set it back everything went back the way it was....

I'm thinking that I'll just return the IDE DVD drive and exchange it for a SATA. The motherboard doesn't seem to have any problems with those...

Thanks again!

Moez

moez

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
It's funny - when I took the IDE drive out of the box, Vista began loading for me about 10 times more quickly!

I think the whole IDE thing was just messing with me too much....

Well, it was my first build and that was the worst thing that I came across... not too bad.

Thanks for the input!

Moez