How to lock a tower up so no 1 can use it

gadgetnerd

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8206250

the case is

Dimensions 25.2" x 9.8" x 21.1"

i live with roomates is why i want to lock up my system it is tooless = why i need a case like this i plan on drilling holes in to it to vent it out. ill only put the tower in it when i sleep/ work

or does anyone else have a better way to do this.

i didnt care if they tuched my 1grand pc but my new one im building is about 3 grand and i dont want them tuching it.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
If you password protected the OS so they could not use it, would this be enought to keep them from touching it, or are you concerned about theft or vandalism or attempts to circumvent the PW?

gadgetnerd

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
yea im worried about them tuching the goodies inside. i know they wondnt steal it but the tuching of high priced parts of ppl who dont know about pcs worrys me.

and no i cant do door locks. and deadbults

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Damn dude. Just get new roommates lol... Better yet, snap the fingers of the first one that does touch it and dare your other roommates to make the same mistake. Can you not just lock your bedroom door? Even with vents cut out, the ventilation would be poor in that container I'd imagine. I also wouldn't see it that hard to steal the entire cabinet. If there's two people, that cabinet would easily be carried away. I'd just install a cheap camera and monitor the room lol.

Edit: Wow, ya'll had a mini conversation while I was typing this small post lol...

Edit 2: Actually, if they know nothing about computers then you could easily just put a bios password on the computer so they can't even boot it into Windows. Of course, all you'd have to do is remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes to erase the password but if they don't know about computers, then they won't know about that. There are also cases that have locks on them, but I don't know if you'd want to buy another case. You might even be able to just put a locking mechanism on the case itself so that they can't open the side door to get in.

gadgetnerd

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
yea when i get the case im going to look at it and stuff befor i buy something that can fit and lock it. and yea i saw those locks that go on screws but mine dosnt look like it had any in the back to close the side idk ima look at it.

was thinking of drilling 2 holes in the desk and tie a lock around it. lol

like i said they woldnt steal it just dont want them tuching the 9800s if the gts dont come out and the cpu and crap.

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I have an old thermaltake Xaser III case with a lock for the front door and side access panel.
Very handy for keeping family members' kids out of it when I'm not around. Most common issue with kids was that they just HAD to push the power button whenever I left it running some batch encoding job or downloading torrents.
So yeah I suggest getting a case with a lock feature, not sure about cases now adays but that Xaser's lock mechanism is very well built.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
My roommate's little nephew likes to stick f***ing screwdrivers into USB ports. I told him the first time he tried that $h!t on one of my computers when his brother brings him to our apartment will be the first time he get's his @$$ fried.

But, if you're any good at welding or know anybody, yo can easily weld on a couple of loops to a run a lock through. It's a cheap suggestion.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
If you have roomates that would unscrew the side panel of your pc just to poke around inside, I doubt if any anything short of wrapping a chain around it and securing it with a padlock will stop them - course they might consider that a challenge they can't resist.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Just like prison, as soon as you get it built, just go out and the beat the hell out of one of them at random and then point at the computer. They'll know what you mean... Even cheaper suggestion than mine last one.

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Just lock the bedroom door or lock the system somewhere in that cabinet you are planning to get. But I gotta admit, like the above post, who are these people that would require you to take extra precaution?

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Seriously, you just need to shank one of them while they're in the shower. It doesn't matter who, but you need to make your message clear that you're not going to be their bitch. Kill or be killed man.

1971Rhino

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008

+1

G

or... just tell them "NO TOUCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

most normal people who aren't complete jerks get the point...

try that

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Wow, I just realized my last post was about as grammatically incorrect as a coherent sentence can be, lol, my bad.

Anyway, there's a a couple of movie quotes that pertain to my rather barbaric method of computer protection.

"Is it better to be feared or respected?
Well, I say... Is it too much to ask for both?"

and

"They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only need to fire once. That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far."

Listen to Tony Stark, lie he does not.

TRENDING THREADS