Sign in with
Your question

System hangs on ASUS bios page.... Please help.

Last response: in CPUs
July 25, 2008 11:57:18 PM

Hello everyone,

My system just froze and became unresponsive. It hangs withing 3 seconds of power-up at the ASUS BIOS screen, it says press f1 or tab but nothing works.

Events leading to this:

-a week ago my cpu utility registed the failure of my cpu fan
-i noticed that it worked half the time
-i bought a new cooler and installed it today
-turned on the system and got the ASUS screen with f1 or tab and nothing working
-the hard drive light is solid red but nothing seems to be accessing

my current system is:
athlon x2 3700 socket 754 ASUS k8v-se Deluxe via chipset board
2*512 (1gig) pc3200 ram ULTRA
2*74 gig raptor RAID 0
1*western 100 gig
ATI all in wonder 9800pro
plus peripherals
power supply is ULTRA xconnect power supply, I believe 400 watts

what do you guys/gals think this may be, how can I troubleshoot further?
If this is CPU problem than I assume getting a new one will get my system back up and RAID 0 will be intact BUT if its the mother board than what can happen to my RAID 0 configuration if i've been using the on board RAID controller?
Will I have to get the same motherboard or will a new system upgrade
can see this RAID 0 configuration?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

a b à CPUs
July 26, 2008 1:42:21 AM

Reset your cmos by pulling the battery and shorting the jumper.

Then try to boot into the bios with 1 stick of ram installed.

If that works, set the values for your ram, (voltage, speed) save and exit.

July 27, 2008 3:33:51 AM

First, AFAIK, there were no "x2" Athlon 64s on socket 754, so you've probably just got a single-core Athlon 64 3700+ CPU.
Second, which controller's ports are your Raptor RAID 0 drives connected to - the VIA or the Promise?
Third, when you installed the new CPU cooler, did you clean off the old thermal compound ("goop") from the top of the CPU? Did you apply fresh compound (or did your new cooler come with compound pre-applied)?
Fourth, does your case have a speaker, and is it connected to the MB's 2 "speaker" output header pins? (this is different from "audio" output) If not, connect the case speaker or a cheap speaker from radio shack to the "speaker" pins so you can hear if there is an error "beep code" being sounded when the system hangs.
Related resources
July 28, 2008 4:44:50 PM

I didn't think much of the thermal compound and didn't clean it up before installing the new cooler?
Is it now too late to clean the CPU and reattach the cooler again?
I think it is an overheating problem, because there was a situation where after power up and 2 minutes waiting at the bios screen the computer shutdown by itself. If the cpu did overheat but shutdown could it still be OK? or theres a good possibility that's its fried.

The RAID 0 is on the promise controller, so can I assume that any promise controller will be able to read back the array?

The speaker is connected but there are no beeps!

thanks everyone

a c 127 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 28, 2008 4:51:49 PM

^You could have fried the chip. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't those chips not have a IHS and the die was exposed? if so it could have possibly gotten very hot and overheated and the CPU *might* be dead.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 28, 2008 5:15:27 PM

^Or maybe I am thinking of the Athlon XPs that were the ones without the IHS. IDK.

Yea if he did he is going to be hard pressed not to just build a new system. $500 bucks for a age old CPU is enough for a new system that will whomp that one to death.
July 28, 2008 6:45:08 PM

vlad0123 said:
I didn't think much of the thermal compound and didn't clean it up before installing the new cooler?
Is it now too late to clean the CPU and reattach the cooler again?

It does not hurt to try.
vlad0123 said:
. If the cpu did overheat but shutdown could it still be OK? or theres a good possibility that's its fried.
It's hard to tell. IIRC, those CPUs have a safety auto shutdown if they overheat.

vlad0123 said:
The RAID 0 is on the promise controller, so can I assume that any promise controller will be able to read back the array?
Not ANY Promise controller, but a Promise controller with a compatible chip should work. I would contact Promise and ask them what plug-in Promise controller boards would be compatible.

!