Sign in with
Your question

IDE to USB adapters?

Last response: in Storage
September 30, 2009 7:37:17 AM

I have a a few IDE hard drives (27g - 80g) that are just sitting on a shelf. They are there for a number of reasons, from crashes/errors to just being out of an old PC.

Some of the hard drives have some data I would like to get. I looked into one of those external IDE USB enclosures, tried it, but wasn't impressed. At the time when I needed to access a crashed hard drive... I just swapped out two HD's and ran a Live Linux CD and hooked up my WD 500 passport external drive and then transferred the files I needed. It works fine, but it's a pain to keep swapping out HD's.

How can I just have some sort of adapter where I can plug the USB into the IDE and copy it with out booting off the drive? (Kind of like a hot-swap I guess). I would like to be able to use this PC, then just plug it into the USB and be able to get the files I need. This PC is running XP sp3.

Any ideas/suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks

More about : ide usb adapters

September 30, 2009 8:00:17 AM

Also, obviously this is just a temp fix... I was wondering if there was a way I could use these HD's as some sort of.. file server, but just with this PC, not on a network or anything.
m
l
a c 155 G Storage
September 30, 2009 1:56:36 PM

If its just ide you need. This lets you start drives without resting windows. This kind of device can be found all over and even comes with a power supply to run the drive.

ALWAYS set the drive to MASTER or this will not work

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!