Need help oc 5200+

jtsanda

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
Hi all. I need to know what would be a good multiplier and voltage setting for overclocking my cpu? Its an AMD Athlon 64 5200+ x2 with stock speeds at 2700mhz and multiplier is set to 13.50. I'm kind of a noob at overclocking via multiplier, cause I've always done it by upping the fsb. I can't get it anymore stable than 2900 and I'd like to increase that some. I know all about prime95 and temperature monitoring, so i'm not totally lost.. I just need to know what some good settings would be if anyone knows any.

Thanks for the help. :D

You can't increase the multiplier unless it's a BE chip. Read the overclocking sticky. If it's the Brisbane model then you should at least hit 3.0GHz with the stock cooler though you may have to use a voltage of 1.4v.

jtsanda

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009

Thanks for the info! :D
I do have the Brisbane model, but it wouldn't let me go past 2.9 when i increased the fsb. Thats why i figured I'd have to change the multiplier and vcore. So if i just increased the vcore i should be able to achieve 3.0 by just increasing the fsb?

jtsanda

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
ahha! i figured it out... i thk.
i disabled Cool -n Quiet in the bios which, (so far) has allowed me to achieve higher frequincies. Right now I'm at 3.025ghz and I've already ran a few benchmarks. I did however managed to get it up to 3.2 but it bod'ed me after a few minutes. :{ gave me some kind of memory error. probably has to do with the crappy stock ram i have installed.

Well, make sure increase the memory divider by lowering your ram speed. If you have your RAM set to DDR 800, then your memory divider is 7 so your RAM speed is the clock speed divided by 7. If your RAM is what's limiting you then set your RAM speed to 667, which will raise your memory divider to 8 or 9. Make sure you manually loosen your RAM timings to their DDR2 800 values as your board my try to tighten them to it's 667 values if you have the timings on auto.

Also make sure that your HT link speed is set to 800MHZ or a multiplier of 4. Depending on your board having a higher than 1GHz HT link speed could make it unstable, so lower it until you have your final CPU over clock, then raise it back up to see if it's stable or not. If you set the HT link to 800 in the BIOS, or a multiplier of 4 depending on your board, then you can raise your FSB to 250 before going over the 1GHz link speed. Also lock your PCI-E speed to 100MHz if you can.

jtsanda

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009

well i can't set my ram divider cause i'm using software to oc. my mb is a poc dell. it does however stay fairly stable on the ht link well over 1,000. i think i'm at around 1,100 right now and i don't have any problems. did an orthos run on each processor simultaniously and didn't get any errors after several minutes, so i think i'm pretty stable at 3.0

dell sucks

Oh, I guess you're using the overdrive software then. If the motherboard is based on an ATI 700 series chipset or an nVidia 700, 7000 series chipset then yeah usually a higher than 1.0GHz HT link is o.k. though for overclocking I still recommend lowering it until you settle on your final CPU overclock. While I never liked using software to overclock I do think that you can lower the RAM speed somewhere in there to help you overclock more. Those ol windsor cores can usually overclock a little more, but of course it all depends on your board and CPU sample :D. Hopefully next time you get a PC to overclock you won't have gotten a prebuilt ^_^