Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hdd Issue install windows Vista

Last response: in Storage
September 30, 2009 4:40:48 PM

I just build a barebone system. I have set up the bios. I am using a 1 tera byte sata hddrive. In the bios I have turned Sata support to enabled. I have made sure Raid and Achi type drive is turned off. The bios settings show my Ide Dvd Rom and primay master and show my Hdrive as master also. When I boot into the Vista install and get the the select a hddrive page it cant see the harddrive. I have tried setting the drive up as achi and let windows vista loaded the drives using the guide from the motherboard book to complete and still does not see the Hdrive. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Oh and 1 more I have reseated the cables from Sata port 1 to 2 and still to no avail the bios always detects the drive but then Vista can not see it
a b G Storage
September 30, 2009 4:51:10 PM

Format the HDD with another tool, after, try again.
m
l
September 30, 2009 5:47:43 PM

Would I use the tools I downloaded from the Hatachi website or is there some other boot able program I need to do this
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 30, 2009 6:59:02 PM

Download Hiren's boot, is a CD that have many programs, including the programs to do the partitions and format the HDD.

Or this:

http://www.acronis.com.mx/homecomputing/download/diskdi...

Is good too.
October 1, 2009 1:34:14 PM

Saint19 thanks for the help. I downloaded hirens boot was able to use partition magic partition and format the drive so windows could detect it thank you very much. If i had known about this boot disk I may have saved my old computer also. I am going to rebuild it and see if the disk helps with the issues I have there and possible give my daughter her own computer so again thanks for the advice greatly appreciated.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
October 1, 2009 1:36:13 PM

Vista doesn't need drivers when you select AHCI, it should work without any additional configuration or setup. Regardless of what data is on the disk, it should always be detected and given a partition table you can edit. Are you saying this is not the case?
m
l
October 1, 2009 4:02:57 PM

sub mesa said:
Vista doesn't need drivers when you select AHCI, it should work without any additional configuration or setup. Regardless of what data is on the disk, it should always be detected and given a partition table you can edit. Are you saying this is not the case?

It was a brand new harddrive in a brand new system that did not detect under the vista install untill I booted and ran the partition magic I had a few issues there 2 at first reported bad. I ran a harddrive diagnostic utility and then when I ran partition magic a second time everything detected ok. It may have picked up in windows after I did that but I didnt want to waste any more time
m
l
a b G Storage
October 1, 2009 4:12:43 PM

Personally I don't use partition magic, I had bad experiences with this. I use special Fdisk, or acronis. The first is really good, and easy to use.
m
l
!