ATI 4800 and Ray-Tracing

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Could it even keep the temp. cool with 100% ray-tracing?

nvida has single true GPU Design!!!!

Evil ATI use double cheesburger 487X2 to keep up.

Evil ATI also use single slot cooler cuz they can't figure out how to do double slot like Nvidia, ATI steal nvidias cooler design for 4870

NVIDIA4LYFE!!!!!!

/thunderman

hsetir

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008

hahahaha, quote of the millenium.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I think they should worry about getting FPS up before adding more features to games that we don't need. The kind of ray tracing that video cards can do has to be filtered to fake light fall-off so why not just use a map?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Ray-tracing is the future, not a feature. Spell it right next time. :lol:

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You are giving him what he wants. It's like giving a child candy when he is bad, it doesn't work.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah he's joking. There was a troll who went by the name of thunderman around here a while ago that made posts exactly like that. I mean EXACTLY like that...

As for ray tracing, from what I've read it's not the end all be all solution. It's definitely good for stuff like reflections, refractions, and hard shadows but last I heard z-buffering is better for determining primary visibility.

G

why? its fun watching them make complete a**es out of themselves XD

I have no idea what ray tracing is lol

CSA_Myth

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Back to the OP... Wow I am really impressed with the performance the article speaks of with the 4870. Ray-tracing in Real-time and holding 60 fps with AA, not trying to act like an ATI fan boy or anything, it is just very impressive to me.

As someone who renders in Maya a lot, I thought we were still years away from that kind of performance. Just goes to show how powerful these cards are getting. Just wonder if we can get our hands on the software that interfaces with DX9, I doubt it but it is cool technically all the same.

I have no idea what ray tracing is lol

Ray tracing can achieve a very high degree of realism, near as we can currently get to photo realistic with current technology. However Real time Ray-tracing is normally very slow and was something that was unheard of recently, even so you were talking about graphic computers with multiple gpu's and multiple processors.

For some comparison (even if it is a bit different) on June 12, 2008 Intel demonstrated real-time ray-tracing with Enemy Territory: Quake Wars running in basic HD (720p) resolution (same resolution as the Transformer Trailers), ETQW operated at 14-29 frames per second. The demonstration ran on a 16-core (4 socket, 4 core) Tigerton system running at 2.93 GHz. I would like to see what the 4870 could do with that demo.

Plain Old Me

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
RT is the future. It will be interesting how Larrabee performs on RT though, as well as on regular rasterization. But who knows? Maybe we will see developers flocking to RT soon, but there needs to be an API that natively supports it...

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'm glad that you see, not that your understanding or mine matters. Others will embrace Ray-tracing (RT) when it becomes painfully apparent.

At least someone sees it.

There will be transitional pains, life hurts.

romulus47plus1

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008

? All he does is saying nVidia cards rocks and I love nVidia etc.
[strike]
Anyway, can DX10 stream processors run Ray-Tracing? I read it runs in DX9 pipelines.[/strike]
Oh, I reread the whole post. 4800 runs RT 100%. Will RT be applied in games?