Driver Loaded Can't find Hardware (Code 41)

rev

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004

I'm trying to find the CD-RW/DVD drive on this PC - Win XP Home Ed. SP-2 ,
and I'm sure the CD drive is operational, but something is aparently not
configured correctly because I don't see the CD listed in Explorer. I do see
it in System, but not as D:\ but as the device's long name, and there is an
error message "The driver is loaded but Windows was unable to locate the
hardware for this device. (code 41)" I went into BIOS setup and set the Boot
sequence correctly, but was unable to boot from the Windows XP CD. Then,
after rebooting like fifty times with the setup cd in the drive, I finally
got the message to hit any key to boot from the CD. So I did that, and I ran
set up... and I encountered other problems unrelated to this message... My
primary purpose in this project was to extract the owners applcation data
documents .wav .doc .jpg... but there was no way to extract any data to CD
(can't see CD) and plugging an external CD burner into a USB port produced
the same error, while a flash disc on my key chain worked fine.
Now, I have loaded Windows XP on the same partition as the existing XP
operating system and am going to format a clean partition and load Windows...
I can see and use the CD-RW/DVD on the new version of the OS, but still
encounter the same behavior on the originally existing version... Please
help... Much thanks in advance.
--
Everything in EXCESS!!! If you want to taste the flavor of LIFE, Take BIG
Bytes. Moderation is for monks…

Hi there, have a look at this article

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code
39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
Includes Code 41

"Rev" <revinfreddyfloyd@yahoo.com.(OrSomeThingLikeThat)> wrote in message
> I'm trying to find the CD-RW/DVD drive on this PC - Win XP Home Ed. SP-2 ,
> and I'm sure the CD drive is operational, but something is aparently not
> configured correctly because I don't see the CD listed in Explorer. I do see
> it in System, but not as D:\ but as the device's long name, and there is an
> error message "The driver is loaded but Windows was unable to locate the
> hardware for this device. (code 41)" I went into BIOS setup and set the Boot
> sequence correctly, but was unable to boot from the Windows XP CD. Then,
> after rebooting like fifty times with the setup cd in the drive, I finally
> got the message to hit any key to boot from the CD. So I did that, and I ran
> set up... and I encountered other problems unrelated to this message... My
> primary purpose in this project was to extract the owners applcation data
> documents .wav .doc .jpg... but there was no way to extract any data to CD
> (can't see CD) and plugging an external CD burner into a USB port produced
> the same error, while a flash disc on my key chain worked fine.
> Now, I have loaded Windows XP on the same partition as the existing XP
> operating system and am going to format a clean partition and load Windows...
> I can see and use the CD-RW/DVD on the new version of the OS, but still
> encounter the same behavior on the originally existing version... Please
> help... Much thanks in advance.
> --
> Everything in EXCESS!!! If you want to taste the flavor of LIFE, Take BIG
> Bytes. Moderation is for monks…

rev

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004

Thank you!
I did not see this pop on any of my numerous searches for Code 41, error
code 41, and several variant searches using the exact text of the error
message. I wished I would have seen this before making the MAJOR mistakes I
did... it's cost me much time. Thanks a lot!