Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

"AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition" vs "Intel Pentium D 945"

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 26, 2008 5:28:49 AM

I'm building a new computer from a barebone kit on tigerdirect.ca, and I'm having a hard time deciding what to get, mainly because of the processors. The two kits in question are http://tinyurl.com/62umzs and http://tinyurl.com/6fq3ss. Basically, I would like to know which motherboard+processor combo would be better for gaming. I know that with overclocking, the Intel can reach a much higher stable speed, but I don't know much about overclocking and would probably just leave them alone out of fear of screwing something up. So I guess what I'm saying is, overclocking aside, which of those two am I better off with?
July 26, 2008 5:40:20 AM

Also, it would be nice if I could get a comparison for the stable overclocked versions of each, assuming it's just an average heat sink/fan being used. I'm not sure exactly how those motherboards would handle overclocking, but I might try to learn more about doing it and try it out for myself once I complete my computer.
July 26, 2008 5:47:50 AM

The X2 5000+ would kick the Pentium D's ass.

I imagine you would have to overclock the Pentium D qutie a bit just to reach the Athlon X2 5000+ at stock speeds. Once (if) you overclock the Athlon it will blow the Pentium D out of the water while consuming less power!

Use this link to get an idea of performance: http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-328-6.htm
Related resources
July 26, 2008 5:54:31 AM

The Athlon64 X2 architecture stomped the Pentium4/D like the Core2 stomps the Athlon64 X2.
July 26, 2008 5:55:17 AM

Pentium D are way slower than athlon X2. Definitely get the X2 5000+.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 26, 2008 6:10:05 AM

Another vore for X2 5000,it blows away any PentiumDs.
July 26, 2008 6:17:34 AM

amd + ati for life
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2008 10:48:54 AM

Why not a low end core2 cpu and mobo ??

How swel does that would out on cost vs performance for the OP ??

E2 or E4 maybe ??
a c 112 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 26, 2008 11:56:49 AM

The AMD all the way. Tough to beat $200 for that barebones

The Athlon X2 5000+ BE is better than the Pentium D. The Asus is a better mobo than the Biostar (especially the onboard IGP - geforce 6100 over VIA Chrome9).

The Blackie can OC to 2.8-3GHz by simply increasing the cpu multiplier. With a little clock/multiplier tweaking you may reach 3.2GHz.

How much do you think you will spend on your video card?

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 26, 2008 12:41:20 PM

Definetly any AMD X2 over any Pentium D.
When you mention Intel Processors are great overclockers, the Pentium D should be left out that conversation. You can do it, but you have to have a very good cooling solution.
July 26, 2008 12:57:25 PM

You probably have not been around when PDs hit 6 GHz just on water and didnt break a sweat.

@ OP:
Should you decide to OC (which would be rather adventurous with the given motherboard though), the PD will easily outrun the X2.
Stock however, the 2 will trade blows, but both are quite outdated anyways. Get some of the new stuff instead.
July 26, 2008 1:52:11 PM

JeffPeach said:
I'm building a new computer from a barebone kit on tigerdirect.ca, and I'm having a hard time deciding what to get, mainly because of the processors. The two kits in question are http://tinyurl.com/62umzs and http://tinyurl.com/6fq3ss. Basically, I would like to know which motherboard+processor combo would be better for gaming. I know that with overclocking, the Intel can reach a much higher stable speed, but I don't know much about overclocking and would probably just leave them alone out of fear of screwing something up. So I guess what I'm saying is, overclocking aside, which of those two am I better off with?


I would say Neither.
You still need a HDD, CPU Cooler, OS, Mouse and Keyboard etc....
That will run you over $200 and your system will still be assempled with cheap parts.

Try Something from Outlet.Dell.Com such as this.............


Inspiron 530
(System Identifier: EWR7E2VK)


Inspiron Desktop 530 Mini-tower: Intel Pentium dual-core processor E2200 (1MB, 2.2GHz)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

System Price : $299.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memory
2 GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hard Disk Drive
320 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Certified Refurbished
Certified Refurbished
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Base
Inspiron Desktop 530 Mini-tower: Intel Pentium dual-core processor E2200 (1MB, 2.2GHz)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Media Bay
16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware Upgrade
USB Keyboard
No Floppy Drive
Dell Optical USB 2-button Mouse
No Modem
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 26, 2008 1:56:55 PM

I know it's not one of your original picks, but if I was buying a new system right now, if you are on a very tight budget I'd have to agree with many other's here and suggest you look at a system with even a low end Core 2 Duo.
July 26, 2008 3:52:14 PM

Thanks for all the help. That's the answer I was hoping for, because I just love the tower that comes with the AMD. Although, some of you are suggesting getting something with a Core 2 Duo. I searched around, and I did find this one here: http://tinyurl.com/63wyfh. Would you suggest this one instead?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2008 11:40:40 AM

JeffPeach said:
Thanks for all the help. That's the answer I was hoping for, because I just love the tower that comes with the AMD. Although, some of you are suggesting getting something with a Core 2 Duo. I searched around, and I did find this one here: http://tinyurl.com/63wyfh. Would you suggest this one instead?


Yes. A Core Duo at the same Mhz will outperform the AMD by 15%-20%. Some things, like video encoding it will be as much as 30% faster.

On a side note, you had asked about overclocking and how these would do if they were overclocked.
The motherboards you are getting in these thrifty barebones kits are not going to be good overclockers.
They are just the basic low end boards that will work quite well, but the features on them are limited and they will not be overclocking friendly. If you are into or think you may want to overclock, skip these kits and put together something from scratch. While these kits are very good prices, you pretty much get what you pay for with these, which ain't much. The PSU for instance, is not going to be of high quaility.
If you decide to plug in a top of the line GPU, you may be in trouble with the PSU supplied in these kits.
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2008 2:12:02 PM

Yes the X2 will be cheaper by a few dollars but the E2 or better cpu will kick it all round the room ... even more so if you overclock it a bit ... which is dead easy and safe ... even on a cheap mobo.

Fanboism is ok for a general discussion but it is just stupid when an OP is asking for a bit of advice.

A cheap case with a 400W PSU can be found anywhere.
July 27, 2008 3:21:15 PM

Thanks, you guys have been of great help.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2008 11:37:23 PM

Reynod said:
Yes the X2 will be cheaper by a few dollars but the E2 or better cpu will kick it all round the room ... even more so if you overclock it a bit ... which is dead easy and safe ... even on a cheap mobo.

Fanboism is ok for a general discussion but it is just stupid when an OP is asking for a bit of advice.

A cheap case with a 400W PSU can be found anywhere.


He initially asked about X2 and PD 945, not C2D. No fanboism, when it is clear an X2 would beat PentiumD.
a c 112 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2008 11:58:46 AM

For the cost of E4600 barebones you could purchase the X2 5000+ BE barebones along with an HD4850
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2008 12:07:07 PM

flyin15sec said:
He initially asked about X2 and PD 945, not C2D. No fanboism, when it is clear an X2 would beat PentiumD.


It depends, the low-mid end X2s would compete against highest end Pentium Ds... but PD's are quite hard to find and obsolete
a c 127 à CPUs
July 28, 2008 5:13:09 PM

^True. Unless he found a Pentium D 805 and had a good cooler and OCed it like THG did. That thing was whomping on the FX and EE from both Intel and AMD and only cost 10% of their cost.

But I doubt he will find one.

As for whats good, in the original question a X2 5000+ will best the Pentium D. But a Pentium DC will easily keep up with and when OCed beat the 5000+ X2.
a c 127 à CPUs
July 28, 2008 5:26:43 PM

^lol

You could just get one with a mobo with a 1066FSB and OC the FSB through the NB. I am sure it can handle it no problem.

Oh and thats not much of a barebone kit. Barebones in my day were the case + mobo and thats it. The rest was up to you.
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2008 8:40:36 AM

jimmysmitty said:
^True. Unless he found a Pentium D 805 and had a good cooler and OCed it like THG did. That thing was whomping on the FX and EE from both Intel and AMD and only cost 10% of their cost.

But I doubt he will find one.

As for whats good, in the original question a X2 5000+ will best the Pentium D. But a Pentium DC will easily keep up with and when OCed beat the 5000+ X2.


But it would be hard to find a permanent supply of liquid nitrogen
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2008 11:39:57 AM

Someone else already made the brillant suggestion that you could overclock a Pentium D to 6Ghz, on ONLY water cooling. Okay, whatever, but all of you who think so much of the Pentium D's do realise that you would HAVE to clock a P-D to 6 Ghz to even begin to keep up with a 5000 X2, don't you?
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2008 11:57:19 AM

hehe might not be 6GHZ but a Pentium D in this day and age?

I'll pass
!