Sign in with
Your question

Pc turns off after 5 seconds

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b Î Nvidia
June 27, 2008 7:32:29 PM

So For some weird reason my pc stopped working. What it does is when I turn it on it just shuts itself off after like 5 seconds or so. It was working fine earlier in the day. I was gaming on it and I shut it down then went back hours later and i turn it on only to find that it shuts itself off after 5 seconds. IDK y it just stopped working. My system specs are below.

CPU: Q6600 @3ghz (never gets above 60c even after hours of gaming)
GPU: BFG 9800gtx ocx
Mobo: XFX 680i LT
RAM: 4gb OCZ
HD: Seagate 160gb(everytime it shuts off this makes a beep sound?)
PSU: PCP&C 750watt Quad Silencer (generally this component would be the issue right? but this is quality stuff could it just snap?)
Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated I just built this pc like 2 months ago so its all relatively new. Thanks

More about : turns seconds

June 27, 2008 7:45:02 PM

Can you get into the BIOS at all? Are you sure the case speaker is connected to the motherboard?

You could try taking the little battery off the motherboard for 5 mins to reset the BIOS.
June 27, 2008 8:02:58 PM

Check that your HSF hasn't come loose from the MB.
Related resources
June 27, 2008 8:20:08 PM

You couldve had an hectic power surge that couldve damaged your psu. But the chances are miniscule. The bios and heatsink issues are usually the culprit
a b Î Nvidia
June 27, 2008 8:49:24 PM

Thanks for the input guys... I know that the case speaker is not connected to the mobo because I didn't put it on it. What will that do to help me? Also I will try the battery thing, that resets the Bios? Also I am pretty sure that it wasn't a power surge cuz its connected to a power surge protector and if it was a surge wouldn't it have completely messed up my psu? Not work at all. Cuz it turns on for a couple of seconds. Thanks for your help
a b Î Nvidia
June 27, 2008 8:53:45 PM

Also forgot to mention i reseated the CPu Heatsink and thats all good but how do u recommend to take out the battery on the mobo cuz i dont want to break anything. Thanks
June 27, 2008 9:11:13 PM

Well if something is wrong with the hardware the motherboard will use the speaker to give you a series of beeps, and the pattern of those beeps can tell you what's wrong. Connect the speaker if you have it and see if it beeps at all when you turn the computer on. I'd do that before you try the battery thing.

To take the battery out unplug the power from the computer then gently lift the battery out of its holder with a toothpick or knife or whatever else you have on hand.
a b Î Nvidia
June 27, 2008 11:50:09 PM

DOOD!!! The battery thing worked like a charm..Yes! Thanks alot. I guess I need to get watercoolong if I am going to oc the q6600 past 3 ghz. I'm thinkin the thermaltake 760i would do it just for the cpu. Thanks alot man!
!