Blinking (standby?) light on A8N5X, and nuthin' else

kclark2001

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
Except for the blinking green light on my mobo, my computer is lifeless.
MB = Asus A8N56
PS = 550W
CPU = AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+
Plenty of fan on the CPU

Asus says the light indicates it's in standby mode. Is there any way I can shake it out of its stupor?

Repair shop said it was either the PS, Mobo, or CPU (please oh please don't tell me I need to replace the CPU... :ouch: )
Cleared CMOS /swapped in another PS/swapped in a duplicate mobo/stripped out all extra cards and drives, etc - still, no life..

Any other ideas before I spring for a new CPU? And why are the 939s so much more expensive than the new AM2's? Ergh.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Supply & demand. DDR is more expensive than DDR2. DDR2 will be than DDR3. Best place to look for old parts is ebay or craiglist.

Has this pc been working flawless? Or is it just put together?

If the pc is in standby, press power button to turn it on.

Double-check your connections and any jumpers against the manual. Reseat cpu hsf & ram. Try each stick of ram in each slot.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Well it seems that you have switched everything other than the cpu, although i've never seen a cpu die. It's a long shot but possibly the actual power switch on the case...

kclark2001

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
Hey, THANKS for the Replies, and sorry for being so late in responding- I just got back in town yesterday.

I've reseated everything but the jumpers, but it's worth a try. It's a mongrel computer. And I'll definitely check out the power switch, wouldn't that be nice to resolder a wire and have it work again!