GTX 280 Viewing Temp

Fofo

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
Well I just finished building my computer and I have one question.

There are no OC or Temp options in nvidia control panel. I have updated to the latest drivers yet neither options exist, even under advanced mode.

If anyone can help that would be great, I do not plan on OCing but I am just curious what the temperature is at.

Thank You

Fofo

Distinguished
May 18, 2008

Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted.

Fofo

Distinguished
May 18, 2008

I will definitely bookmark the website. As of now I am a little scared to OC the 280, I just oced my Q9550 a couple minutes ago to 3.2ghz and its temp is at 34 degrees....I will OC the Videocard soon enough.

Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it.

YEye, the thing is I have nvidia control panel and I know all about NVmonitor, but it is not there, the option does not exist that is why I was so confused.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
What brand of card do you have?

I have an Evga card and I ran the EVGA's precision software. Works well for monitoring and oc'ing for me (a noob)

robx46

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I've got an eVGA as well. That EVGA software is nice. Love how simple it is and the hot keys are simple as well. I hit a button when I want my OC with fan @ 100. The when I'm done gaming I hit another key that brings takes away the OC and puts the fan back on manual (quiet). Very easy.

If you don't have eVGA, lots of progs will give you accurate temp readings. I personally use everest since it reads out all pc temps, voltages, fan speeds, and is a great info tool as well.
Unlike cpu's, it seems any monitoring software will give correct temp readings for you.
Rivatuner, everest, and the evga tool all read the same for me.

And it is true...if you have good cooling on the card you can possibly hit 700mhz core. I have very average cooling and I was on 700mhz core, but after about 45 minutes did get some small artifacts. Had to bump it down just a couple notches and now I'm fine. Crysis for 90 minutes, maxed out, no artifacts, yet still close to 700mhz.

Considering my air cooling is very mid-range, I still like my temps on the GTX 280. Usually 48c idle, while gaming around 80c. At absolute max I haven't even seen temps hit 85c yet, even with the OC. And we had a couple pretty warm days here. But if you want to see temps rise well beyond what you'll see in gaming, run FUR stability test for a good 40 minutes, max rez and 16xAA! Luckily though, no game will stress your card like that.

Oh, and memory seems to OC very well too. I'm not even done finding my max memory OC yet, I'm still bumping up here. Right now things are stable with my memory at 2450mhz. I'm going to shoot for 2500mhz, or close to it, and I think I have a decent shot at it.

Can't speak for the ATI cards, but from what I hear they run hotter and likely won't OC as well as the new NV's (just assuming). Good temps are very valuable, and also some of these OC's effectively make your card even more of a beast, thus making a $650 card run like a nearly $800 card (if there was an $800 card to compare to!). Or you could look at it like these OC's give more "bang for your buck". 700mhz core and 1500mhz memory is quite a bit of extra "bang" if you can manage it!