Sign in with
Your question

Core Clock jumping around? Temp Problem?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 26, 2008 6:09:51 PM

I have a QX6700 and I started seeing some choppiness in some less demanding games so looking around I read i should get RM clock to check whats up with this showing in CPU-Z also.

From what I am seeing, the core clock is frequently jumping from 2666 my normal speed and down to 1600mhz. Is it supposed to be jumping back and forth like that? The throttle number remains at 2666 ish mostly but i really dont know what that is.

I have the CPU at 10x multipler at 266fsb and 1.3375 V, but at the same time the CPU core drops to 1600 the VID number drops to 1.1625. CPU-Z seems to show my voltage at 1.288V despite it being set to 1.3375 in BIOS.

Idle temps are 70C and during gaming it gets to about 79. Im pretty sure this is hot as hell but I have no idea.
Alienware watercooling called:
1 | TC LCS SINGLE PROCESSOR LIQUID COOLING SYSTEM VFAN

1 | TC LCS COLD PLATE RETENTION MECHANISM INTEL KIT W/VREG

July 26, 2008 6:26:57 PM

it sounds to me as if it is overheating and throttling performance, those temperatures are WAY too high, since for most processers 70C is too high as a load temperature, are you sure there is nothing wrong with the water cooling system? I'm not good at diagnosing them, never having had one, but might there be a bubble or something in it?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2008 6:27:51 PM

seriously? do some reading... your like the 5th person to ask this question in the last week....

PS... Read the stickies at the top of the forums....
July 26, 2008 6:28:23 PM

yes, its too hot. Speedstep kicks in when you are idle OR overheating, causing the drop in speed. Examine whatever cooling devices you have and adjust as necessary.

could be imroper mounting, or it has come loose. OR fan not spinning up
!