x8 to x16

_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
hey guys.. need some help about bus interface.. mine is running at PCIe x8 when motherboard supporting at PCIe x16..
can anyone tell me how i can chage to PCIe x16 or what?

_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Thanks a lot.. i knew that x8 is not that much slower, but again i heard that x8 runs at 2gb/s and x16 4b/s..
i don't know.. i might be wrong.. but next week i am getting new motherboard and 4870..
can you tell me any good mobo?

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
What kinda annoyes me is that I have a Gigabyte P35 DQ6 and it says on the box that it has 2 PCI-E X16 slots optimized spefically for crossfire, except once you read the fine print you find out that those "2 X16 slots" are actually 1 X16 and 1 X4 slot... How can you label something as having 2 X16 slots when 1 is 16 and the other is 4..... It seems like pretty basic english to me... Apparently when in crossfire mode both slots run at PCI-E X8 which, for these new cards isn't enough bandwidth to allow for 100% performance. (unless I am mistaken)

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
and for the 4870's, X8 and X8 won't cut it right?

(it doesn't really matter for me atm because I don't plan on going xfire right now, but it still irritates me that they can advertise something that isn't true)

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Ok thanks Orbital. I was feeling that the 5-7% posted above would kinda be enough of a dip to be noticable but according to the link posted it really isn't.

Also, I have a lot of ram so I would think that would help buffer from any issues, as well as having a lot of ram on the video cards themselves.

This is all good info to know if I ever do decide to go crossfire. :)

I guess the only thing that crossed my mind now is, with the 4870's, and soon the 4870X2s that'll end up in systems crossfired, how is the northbridges in todays systems handling all data being shoveled at it from so many sources. The ammount of data that a motherboard has to content with just keeps skyrocketing upwards faster and faster. I know the FSB speeds have gone up but it doesn't FEEL like its keeping up with the ammount of data we're sending at it.