Should I buy or should I wait?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
September 8, 2005 2:24:10 PM

With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models? The new
models will be cheaper (list price) and more advanced than the previous
models of the same company, I would assume (I know I'm going to hear
from Jeff on that blanket statement).

Is it better to wait a month or two or get one that is on sale now? The
sale is from a regular price of about $4,000.00 to $3,400.00 and the TV
has a ATSC tuner built in (which is important to me).

Everyone's opinions are welcomed.

More about : buy wait

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 2:48:49 PM

In article <GZ-dnYALzNkX1L3eRVn-gw@rogers.com>,
"tim@nocomment.com" <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:

> With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
> better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models?

Face it: there will ALWAYS be new models coming out right around the
corner.

The best you can do is dive in.

The idea of spending several thousand dollars for a unit in this kind of
environment is kind of silly. Two years later, enough will have
happened with the technology that you'll just want--or worse, need--to
get a new one.

What kind of TV do you want?
September 8, 2005 2:53:21 PM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article <GZ-dnYALzNkX1L3eRVn-gw@rogers.com>,
> "tim@nocomment.com" <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:
>

>>With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
>>better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models?
>

> Face it: there will ALWAYS be new models coming out right around the
> corner.
>
> The best you can do is dive in.
>
> The idea of spending several thousand dollars for a unit in this kind of
> environment is kind of silly. Two years later, enough will have
> happened with the technology that you'll just want--or worse, need--to
> get a new one.
>
> What kind of TV do you want?

I'm flexible but saw this one on sale. As I said, I'm not in a real
hurry and would prefer to wait if the next generation are coming out in
a couple months anyway.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&...
September 8, 2005 3:12:12 PM

<tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
> With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
> better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models? The new models
> will be cheaper (list price) and more advanced than the previous models of
> the same company, I would assume (I know I'm going to hear from Jeff on
> that blanket statement).
>
> Is it better to wait a month or two or get one that is on sale now? The
> sale is from a regular price of about $4,000.00 to $3,400.00 and the TV
> has a ATSC tuner built in (which is important to me).
>
> Everyone's opinions are welcomed.

since the 1080p models are out, I'd say grab one. this will be the ultimate
resolution until a new standard is introduced (not likely anytime soon).
there is already adequate hd programming available and hd-dvds are just
around the corner.
September 8, 2005 3:14:39 PM

tim@nocomment.com wrote:
> With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
> better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models? The new
> models will be cheaper (list price) and more advanced than the previous
> models of the same company, I would assume (I know I'm going to hear
> from Jeff on that blanket statement).
>
> Is it better to wait a month or two or get one that is on sale now? The
> sale is from a regular price of about $4,000.00 to $3,400.00 and the TV
> has a ATSC tuner built in (which is important to me).
>
> Everyone's opinions are welcomed.

You'll always end up getting something cheaper and more advanced if you
wait. But at some point, if you actually need the equipment, you'll
have to make a buying decision. My suggestion, if you don't really need
a new TV urgently, would be to wait until just after Christmas when a
lot of stores are sitting on inventory and running sales.

Cheers,
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:05:10 PM

tim@nocomment.com (tim@nocomment.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I'm flexible but saw this one on sale. As I said, I'm not in a real
> hurry and would prefer to wait if the next generation are coming out in
> a couple months anyway.
>
> http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&...

OK, now I'll answer. Even in Canadian dollars, that's not a great deal
unless you are dead-set on a plasma.

With 50" 1920x1080 pixel displays coming out in the next few months for
US$4000 MSRP (or less), it seems silly to me to pay US$2800 for a 42"
1024x768. $1000 more will get you a lot bigger picture and a lot more
resolution.

Also, Circuit City has the same set for US$2500 right now.

--
Jeff Rife | "What's goin' on down here?"
| "Oh, we're playing house."
| "But, that boy is all tied up."
| "...Roman Polanski's house."
| -- Lois and Stewie Griffin, "Family Guy"
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:22:59 PM

tim@nocomment.com wrote:
> With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
> better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models? The new
> models will be cheaper (list price) and more advanced than the previous
> models of the same company, I would assume (I know I'm going to hear
> from Jeff on that blanket statement).
>
> Is it better to wait a month or two or get one that is on sale now? The
> sale is from a regular price of about $4,000.00 to $3,400.00 and the TV
> has a ATSC tuner built in (which is important to me).
>
> Everyone's opinions are welcomed.

That depends, are you a football fan? You'll get untold pleasure of
watching this season in HD than waiting until it's nearly done.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:48:46 PM

tim@nocomment.com wrote:
> Larry Bud wrote:
>
> > tim@nocomment.com wrote:
> >
> >>With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
> >>better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models? The new
> >>models will be cheaper (list price) and more advanced than the previous
> >>models of the same company, I would assume (I know I'm going to hear
> >>from Jeff on that blanket statement).
> >>
> >>Is it better to wait a month or two or get one that is on sale now? The
> >>sale is from a regular price of about $4,000.00 to $3,400.00 and the TV
> >>has a ATSC tuner built in (which is important to me).
> >>
> >>Everyone's opinions are welcomed.
> >

> > That depends, are you a football fan? You'll get untold pleasure of
> > watching this season in HD than waiting until it's nearly done.
> >
> Hockey, if anything. And hopefully CBC will be showing it in high def.
> Anyone know for sure?

I don't think CBC is high def, could be wrong though.

ESPN shows some hockey games, don't they. You might want to check
their schedule to see if it's worth it to you.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:49:26 PM

tim@nocomment.com wrote:
> Larry Bud wrote:
>
> > tim@nocomment.com wrote:
> >
> >>With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
> >>better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models? The new
> >>models will be cheaper (list price) and more advanced than the previous
> >>models of the same company, I would assume (I know I'm going to hear
> >>from Jeff on that blanket statement).
> >>
> >>Is it better to wait a month or two or get one that is on sale now? The
> >>sale is from a regular price of about $4,000.00 to $3,400.00 and the TV
> >>has a ATSC tuner built in (which is important to me).
> >>
> >>Everyone's opinions are welcomed.
> >

> > That depends, are you a football fan? You'll get untold pleasure of
> > watching this season in HD than waiting until it's nearly done.
> >
> Hockey, if anything. And hopefully CBC will be showing it in high def.
> Anyone know for sure?

Not to mention the new Fall network shows start in a couple of weeks.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:07:31 PM

<tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
> With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
> better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models? The new models
> will be cheaper (list price) and more advanced than the previous models of
> the same company, I would assume (I know I'm going to hear from Jeff on
> that blanket statement).
>
> Is it better to wait a month or two or get one that is on sale now? The
> sale is from a regular price of about $4,000.00 to $3,400.00 and the TV
> has a ATSC tuner built in (which is important to me).
>
> Everyone's opinions are welcomed.

On the other hand, there are deals to be had right now. www.6ave.com has
the Sharp Aquos 37 inch LCD LC-37D5U for U$2236. This set has TV Guide and
all the tuners.

Tam
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:21:30 PM

tim

I got best buy to sell me the 42 inch samsung plasma for 2850, and its
listed at $3500.

You can negotiate with those guys.

> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> In article <GZ-dnYALzNkX1L3eRVn-gw@rogers.com>,
>> "tim@nocomment.com" <tim@nocomment.com> wrote:
>>

>>>With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
>>>better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models?
>>

>> Face it: there will ALWAYS be new models coming out right around the
>> corner.
>>
>> The best you can do is dive in.
>>
>> The idea of spending several thousand dollars for a unit in this kind of
>> environment is kind of silly. Two years later, enough will have happened
>> with the technology that you'll just want--or worse, need--to get a new
>> one.
>>
>> What kind of TV do you want?
>>
> I'm flexible but saw this one on sale. As I said, I'm not in a real hurry
> and would prefer to wait if the next generation are coming out in a couple
> months anyway.
>
> http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&...
September 8, 2005 7:38:49 PM

Larry Bud wrote:

> tim@nocomment.com wrote:
>
>>With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
>>better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models? The new
>>models will be cheaper (list price) and more advanced than the previous
>>models of the same company, I would assume (I know I'm going to hear
>>from Jeff on that blanket statement).
>>
>>Is it better to wait a month or two or get one that is on sale now? The
>>sale is from a regular price of about $4,000.00 to $3,400.00 and the TV
>>has a ATSC tuner built in (which is important to me).
>>
>>Everyone's opinions are welcomed.
>

> That depends, are you a football fan? You'll get untold pleasure of
> watching this season in HD than waiting until it's nearly done.

Hockey, if anything. And hopefully CBC will be showing it in high def.
Anyone know for sure?
September 8, 2005 7:48:08 PM

tim@nocomment.com wrote:

> Larry Bud wrote:
>
>> tim@nocomment.com wrote:
>>
>>> With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
>>> better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models? The new
>>> models will be cheaper (list price) and more advanced than the previous
>>> models of the same company, I would assume (I know I'm going to hear
>>> from Jeff on that blanket statement).
>>>
>>> Is it better to wait a month or two or get one that is on sale now? The
>>> sale is from a regular price of about $4,000.00 to $3,400.00 and the TV
>>> has a ATSC tuner built in (which is important to me).
>>>
>>> Everyone's opinions are welcomed.
>>

>> That depends, are you a football fan? You'll get untold pleasure of
>> watching this season in HD than waiting until it's nearly done.
>>
> Hockey, if anything. And hopefully CBC will be showing it in high def.
> Anyone know for sure?

This might be of interest regarding dual broadcasts (HD and SD) of
sports events etc.

http://www.cbc.ca/hdtv/hdtimes/winter2005.pdf
September 8, 2005 8:28:44 PM

Larry Bud wrote:

> tim@nocomment.com wrote:
>
>>Larry Bud wrote:

>>>That depends, are you a football fan? You'll get untold pleasure of
>>>watching this season in HD than waiting until it's nearly done.
>>>

>>Hockey, if anything. And hopefully CBC will be showing it in high def.
>>Anyone know for sure?
>

> I don't think CBC is high def, could be wrong though.

Yes they are. Just not sure about all of the hockey games. They showed
the Hockey World Cup in HD and SD, as the recent link I provided attests to.
We have a few stations broadcasting OTA in Toronto including CBC but not
all cities, as of yet.

> ESPN shows some hockey games, don't they. You might want to check
> their schedule to see if it's worth it to you.

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 1:14:36 AM

Tam/WB2TT wrote:

> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
>
>>With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
>>better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models? The new models
>>will be cheaper (list price) and more advanced than the previous models of
>>the same company, I would assume (I know I'm going to hear from Jeff on
>>that blanket statement).
>>
>>Is it better to wait a month or two or get one that is on sale now? The
>>sale is from a regular price of about $4,000.00 to $3,400.00 and the TV
>>has a ATSC tuner built in (which is important to me).
>>
>>Everyone's opinions are welcomed.
>

> On the other hand, there are deals to be had right now. www.6ave.com has
> the Sharp Aquos 37 inch LCD LC-37D5U for U$2236. This set has TV Guide and
> all the tuners.
>
> Tam

Hi,
Please keep in mind the original poster is in Canada.
I am looking around for 42" LCD or Plasma panel as well.
Tony, VE6CGX
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 11:28:56 AM

Larry Bud wrote:
> tim@nocomment.com wrote:
> > Larry Bud wrote:

> > > That depends, are you a football fan? You'll get untold pleasure of
> > > watching this season in HD than waiting until it's nearly done.
> > >
> > Hockey, if anything. And hopefully CBC will be showing it in high def.
> > Anyone know for sure?
>
> I don't think CBC is high def, could be wrong though.
>
> ESPN shows some hockey games, don't they. You might want to check
> their schedule to see if it's worth it to you.

I beleive ESPN dropped their NHL game coverage. In the US at least
games will be covered on the Outdoor Life channel (or words to that
effect).
September 9, 2005 3:13:06 PM

mister-hand@hotmail.com wrote:

> Larry Bud wrote:
>
>>tim@nocomment.com wrote:

>>>Hockey, if anything. And hopefully CBC will be showing it in high def.
>>>Anyone know for sure?
>>
>>I don't think CBC is high def, could be wrong though.
>>
>>ESPN shows some hockey games, don't they. You might want to check
>>their schedule to see if it's worth it to you.
>

> I beleive ESPN dropped their NHL game coverage. In the US at least
> games will be covered on the Outdoor Life channel (or words to that
> effect).

I was looking for free OTA games.
September 12, 2005 8:20:46 AM

"Tam/WB2TT" <t-tammaru@c0mca$t.net> wrote in message

> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
>> With the new crop of TVs coming out soon for the holiday season is it
>> better to buy a TV now on sale or wait for the new models? The new models
>> will be cheaper (list price) and more advanced than the previous models
>> of the same company, I would assume (I know I'm going to hear from Jeff
>> on that blanket statement).
>>
>> Is it better to wait a month or two or get one that is on sale now? The
>> sale is from a regular price of about $4,000.00 to $3,400.00 and the TV
>> has a ATSC tuner built in (which is important to me).
>>
>> Everyone's opinions are welcomed.
>
> On the other hand, there are deals to be had right now. www.6ave.com has
> the Sharp Aquos 37 inch LCD LC-37D5U for U$2236. This set has TV Guide and
> all the tuners.
>
> Tam

FYI Costco has this same model for $1995.
!