Your question

Changing from IDE/ATA to SATA

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 1, 2009 3:18:53 PM

I have an old Dell Dimension 8200 P4 with an IDE harddrive that is dead. I ordered a new Seagate drive, not knowing that it is an SATA, so it cant connect to the current cable or power supply. Is there a converter cable or kit that will allow me to replace the old drive with this new SATA drive? It will be the only drive in the computer other than the floppy and CD drive.

More about : changing ide ata sata

a c 127 G Storage
October 1, 2009 4:35:40 PM

You can buy SATA -> PATA adaptors, but i recommend against them. Instead, a cheaper and better alternative could be to install a SATA controller in your current pc. That can be a PCI device if your pc does not have PCI-express; meaning you have a very old pc but since you don't have any SATA port this is a possibility.

If your system does have PCI-express, you can also buy a PCIe adaptor which can be a little faster though its minimal unless you run RAID which you are not planning to as you stated.

Simple PCI SATA controllers would be using a JMicron JMB363 or Promise/Silicon Image chipset.

Note that you need Windows XP SP1 or later, in order to use modern drives larger than 128GiB.
October 1, 2009 5:42:22 PM

sub mesa said:
You can buy SATA -> PATA adaptors, but i recommend against them. Instead, a cheaper and better alternative could be to install a SATA controller in your current pc. That can be a PCI device if your pc does not have PCI-express; meaning you have a very old pc but since you don't have any SATA port this is a possibility.

If your system does have PCI-express, you can also buy a PCIe adaptor which can be a little faster though its minimal unless you run RAID which you are not planning to as you stated.

Simple PCI SATA controllers would be using a JMicron JMB363 or Promise/Silicon Image chipset.

Note that you need Windows XP SP1 or later, in order to use modern drives larger than 128GiB.

So there is a choice between an adaptor and a PCI SATA controller card? If so, are you saying that the controller card is better than the adapter? If so, do you mind explaining the difference?

Thanks in advance.
!