Weird Sound problem

tromba

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Gigabyte 965-S3, Intel e6600 cpu, M-Audio 24-96, SB Fati1ity, 4 Gig RAM, lots of HD space.

Sometimes sound plays back, sometimes it doesn't. Adobe Audition ALWAYS works on playback. Winamp seldom works on playback. Most of the time any sound from browsers (Opera, IE or Firefox) don't work (silent YouTube for example).

ALL control panel settings for sound are for the M-Audio. The Windows volume control has the sliders up. and here's the weird thing I found today. I found the wave slider down while Winamp was "playing". Turned it up and WinAmp played!!! Went back to Winamp, "rewound" to the beginning of my mp3, pressed play and NOTHING. Went back to Windows volume control and found out if I CLICK on the slider that is ALREADY in position, the music starts!!! CLICK ON A SLIDER THAT IS ALREADY UP????? -- DON'T MOVE IT JUST CLICK ON IT!!!!!

Like this: http://herrick.huntingdon.edu/weird.htm

What's going on with this?

tromba

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Haven't gotten any responses here so does anyone have a suggestion WHERE to ask this question??

I removed my Fatal!y and now am on the Realtek on the motherboard. SAME PROBLEM. Nothing works until I open the Gigabye mixer and CLICK on the volume slider that is already UP. A WMV file will then play and if it automatically starts over it plays without sound UNTIL I click the slider again.

My 2nd floor windows don't open wide enough to push this piece of trash out....

Can someone help or should I just throw it THROUGH the window??????????

Tug

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005
It sounds like the audio portion of your windows installation is corrupted. If I was actually smart, I could tell you what part was corrupted but we have to work with whatever was doled out to us. Here are 2 suggestions that may or may not do anything for you:

1. You could try figuring out the problem by using DirectX. Click Start -> Run -> type dxdiag in the box.

2. Have you tried a repair of your Windows installation?

Here is one site that deals with a repair install for XP (do you have XP?):
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Sometimes the repair fixes stuff and sometimes it doesn't

I tend to keep computers around longer than some people so they have time to get bogged down with games the kids put on them and other crapola that computers attract over time. I eventually format the C drive and do a complete install. Things tend to run a lot faster for a while anyway.

Good luck

tromba

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Just tried that and it failed the sound test -- couldn't hear anything except M-audio card that usually works.

Haven't tried that, but I'm afraid to try and and mess up something I REALLY need....
I do also, but this is "only" about a year and half old and is a fairly recent problem. I suspect some update or something in the last few months screwed something up.....

Tug

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005
The only other thing I can think of is doing a "system restore" to some time you can remember the audio problem not being there.

tromba

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
It's been a hit and miss thing for months and months. Sometimes I just live without sound. Forward all my "sound" email to my gmail account where I can get it on my laptop or Mac where I have sound.