Well, first to start, I'm not a pro and I'm not 100% sure it's a refresh rate problem, but I've had this problem for a while and I've asked couple place and people tell me it might be a refresh rate problem.
So first of all, my problem is, after a while that I use my computer (no games), my display starts getting wierder and wierder symptoms.
First, backgrounds on some websites start having problems rendering (i have to scroll up and down), then some programs with invisible borders become pink or some other color. After that, I can't take screenshots anymore... and there's alot of other symptoms too.
When I do a DXDIAG display test (after these problem start happening), I get these errors.
No problems found.
To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 39 (SetDisplayMode to 640x480x16): HRESULT = 0x80004001 (Not implemented)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x88760827 (error code)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
But all these problems seems to fix after I format.. then after couple hours it starts again.
Then, if I try playing a game.. it goes WAY faster, after couple minute, i start getting problems, then the game either crash, or in some rare cases, I BSOD and it's linked to nv4_disp.
Lemme put some info here, that could maybe help you guys find the problem.
1. I have q6600 @ 3.3ghz (I think it's OV'd a little)
2. I had OC'd my GPU up to 750, at first I had no major problems, but then these problems started and i went back to 675 (default)
3. I had the dumb idea to install DX10 for xp.... but then I system restored back to my dx9.
4. I have already tried cleaning DX. Installing back 8.1 from CD then installing back 9.0c. Didn't fix it.
5. I had beta nvidia driver for a while, but I cleaned it completly and installed stable release of it. Still didn't fix
6. Someone recommanded told me to try 1024x768 for a while because he though it was a refreshrate problem. I was in that for a day, I didn't get the problem (I didn't play games tho). Maybe it's because I was only for a day and it would have taken more time, but when im in 1680x1050, it does it every 2-3hours.
I'd apppreciate any kind of help. Or atleast, knowing if it's a hardware problem / software problem would help too. (So at worst, I can format / warranty)
Like I said, I already tried updating video driver. I have 175.19
Also, it run's at 50degree in my usual task, and gets to a max of 60 I think when I play games.. (but this problem happens when I'm not even playing games).
I'm thinking more of something.... filling up and not emptying correctly? Idk might sound dumb, but yea, the more it passes, the worst it gets, then when i restart it fixes it all... (So it's probably not the heat)
Meh, could be a better ambient temperature / better cooling.
Also, my CPU running at 50degree with a huge heatsink could be somehow inceasing the case temperature by a little.
Still, usually a GPU could go up to 70-80... those 5 degrees shouldn't be causing this problem.
Yep, those temperatures aren't a problem. It's likely because of that dx10 you installed. Probably didn't clear properly. Contrary to what most people think, system restore isn't a full backup, and some leftover may remain somewhere. There's is always formatting...
I have two slots, actually i'm gonna try the other one, you think it might fix it?
I have lifetime warranty.. but i don't wanna be sending and waiting like weeks? if it's not a hardware problem.. I want to keep that as last resort. And like I said, i have no idea if it's a hardware or software problem.
probably software related... does it do it on the desktop? or in anything else?