Audio is not working as front panel audio cable is not connected. Help with conn

sparkvish

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hello,
I had recently replaced my asrock conroe mobo with a generic one, (millenium 945). After installing all the drivers, there was still no sound.
I found that the problem was that the front audio panel cables were not connected.
the port on the mobo was a 14 pin block, whereas my older mobo had a 10 pin block. How do i fit the cables?
the cables are labelled:
Line out FL
Line out RL

Mic in R
Gnd

Mic Power (L)

Line out FR
Line out RR

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
:)

Solution
Thanks for the pics.

I found this text over at wiki.freekgeek.org .... "The front panel audio usually comes in either a 10-pin or a 14-pin Connection. Either way, most of them are hooked up the same way. If there is no front panel audio on the chassis, There must be jumpers between 5 and 6, and 9 and 10, or the back audio may not work."

So knowing that, I would connect the panel in the configuration I mentioned earlier. It should work fine.

LokalHero

Honorable
May 2, 2012
pin 1 - mic in
pin 2 - grd
pin 3 - mic power
pin 4 - N/C
pin 5 - FL
pin 6 - FR
pin 7 - N/C
pin 8 - N/C
pin 9 - RL
pin 10 - RR

N/C = Not Connected.

This is the usual configuration for front audio, though it would be wise to double check with your motherboard manual.

LokalHero

Honorable
May 2, 2012
My God that's a shitty board...

I can't seem to find a manual for you online.

I would require a half decent pic of the pin layout on the board in order to give you an idea.

The specs of the board state it is AC97 too, so I wouldn't have thought all 14 pins would be required. And to state the obvious, you ARE looking at the right header on the board, right?

sparkvish

Honorable
May 17, 2012

Im going to post the pics of the cable now, taking a pic of the board now..

LokalHero

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Thanks for the pics.

I found this text over at wiki.freekgeek.org .... "The front panel audio usually comes in either a 10-pin or a 14-pin Connection. Either way, most of them are hooked up the same way. If there is no front panel audio on the chassis, There must be jumpers between 5 and 6, and 9 and 10, or the back audio may not work."

So knowing that, I would connect the panel in the configuration I mentioned earlier. It should work fine.

Solution