Power Supply issue?????????????

Reckinball

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Ok first off I previously had the E2160 processor in an Asus P5K motherboard with Corsair ballistix 2 gb DDR2 800 memory. ATI Radeon HD3850 video card, Seasonic S12 650 watt power supply. I was running it at 3.0 ghz. I ran this setup for about a year and a half with no problems at all. Just recently my cpu would not boot up screen would just go black. After clearing CMOS it would boot back to default. It would let me OC it a bit but not near like it was. So i decided to order a new board, memory, processor. So now i have the E5200, MSI P45 NEO3-FR motherboard, G-Skill PI Black 4gb DDR2 800 memory, ATI Radeon HD3850, and the same Seasonic PSU. Now with this setup it does basically the same thing. I can OC the processor from 2.5ghz to like 2.8ghz with no problems. Anything after that it will not boot. MSI board does have the OC jumper on the motherboard. Once i move that to 266FSB instead of the default 200. This lets it run at 3.3GHZ. The board will boot with the CMOS error. I can then go into bios leave the FSB on 266 change the processor voltage to 1.20 and save and exit. This time i am able to enter windows and it will run perfect. Played all my COD WAW games, anything i throw at it with temps at idle running like 25 degrees Celcius. Never exceeding like 42 or 45 during gaming. This is the kicker all works well as long as i restart the system. It will reboot fine doing this. If I shut down the system, and have to restart later it will never post goes straight to black screen. Im thinking it probably has to be the power supply as I have about changed out everything else.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Reckinball

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Yes im running the latest bios. This happened with both motherboards Asus P5K and the New MSI board i just installed

Reckinball

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
ZipZoom..thanks for the reply...

well the first setup was fine then all of the sudden on a reboot it wouldnt boot anymore. This was after a year and a half of running it like that. So i assume i had prob. So thats why i upgraded similar to what i had without spending a bunch of money i didn't have :) Not sure i understand what your referring to as with the ram running at too high speed. It seems that when you move the FSB up the ram goes up automatically correct? So thats why im thinking the PSU might be at fault, especially since i replaced everything else. Just not sure, thats why I was needing some more input...Hard to believe that the Seasonic power supply would work all around except on overclocking once it gets to a certain speed