Centurion 5 Front Panel Connector Question

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I'm building a rig for a friend. Were building using a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L and a Coolermaster Centurion 5 for the case.

The case has a number of from panel connectors such as HD Audio, AC97, PWR SW, HD LED, RESET SW, and then two connectors (one green and one white) that are one pin only labeled + and -. I have absolutely no idea what these connectors go to.

Anyone have a clue? The case instructions and the motherboard instructions do not explain these or their homes.

Also, should I plug the AC97 or HD Audio connector to the motherboard. Not sure which one I'm supposed to use.

quaduser

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
Almost the same question here.. I was thinking of getting a EP35- DS3R though for my Q6600 chip.

Will the front panel remain useless with this board? I only see connectors at the back.. (apart from the usual leads to connect up the LEDs). Can I have USB through the front of the case?

I did notice that the Gigabyte manual for DS3R at least shows some locations for front panel audio on the mobo.. presumably you have to run the wires from the case to the those locations?

coldneutron

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
well, u haven't listed the power LED so that's what they probably r. they connect to the front panel connector on the mobo just like the HD LED, pwr and reset switches.

just checked my case to verify and the green & white are the power LED.

the mobo has HD audio, so use the HD audio connector.

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I was thinking they might be for the power LED, but seems so odd the the rest are clearly marked and this one isn't and the pins are separate. I'll give it a try and report back with good news or bad news.

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006

You should be able to depending on the case. Does the case have front USB ports?

dopefiend

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
hey, i just wanted to help out since i have that same case and i just upgraded to a EP35-DS3L as well, with an e7200. I haven't upgraded my computer for a few years now (Athlon 2800XP+), and when i pulled out the front panel connectors and tried to put it in the EP35, i didn't know what that was for either. turns out it is the power LED connector. for some reason, the m/b has 2 different power LED connectors from what i can see, a 2 and 3 pin. the 3 pin connection is vertical. the centurion only has 2 pin so i connected it to that and it worked! the manual should have which pin is +/-. i still can't figure out the front panel audio though...i've connected the HD connector to the mobo, but i can't get sound out of it. the manual states that for AC97 you can only have either the rear sound port or the front at one time, but it should be able to output both for HD. maybe if you find that out let me know!