Sign in with
Your question

Heatsink for Phenom 955 w/ Gigabyte 790FX Mobo

Last response: in Overclocking
May 5, 2009 1:13:51 AM

Recently I ordered parts for my first build which includes the Phenom II X4 955 processor, Antec 900 case, Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard and Xigmatech HDT-S1283 cooler. I choose the cooler because of the Tom's review and a recommendation for a build with a 940 processor.

Well anyways, today I was doing some further research and it seems there's a problem with this cooler blocking the first DIMM slot on some Gigabyte AMD motherboards. I could not find the model number of the specific motherboard(s), but the possibility of it being mine scared me a bit. I've also read of installation troubles due to using push pens, as well as not being able to position it so the fan blows air to the rear of the case. I'm new to this so I'm not for sure if these will be actual problems or if they're minor complaints.

I'd appreciate any insight or new heatsink recommendations that ya'll can give. This site and these forums in particular have been a big help in pushing me to build a new computer.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2009 4:27:45 AM

The memory slot closest to the cpu socket might be a problem. It happens when the memory modules come with the tall heatsinks. Those types of memory heatsinks get in the way. The solution is to use standard size memory modules that have standard size heatsinks.

Here's a tip - Install the memory modules first, then install the cpu heatsink. It will save you some aggravation.

The push pins may or may not be a problem. They can be a little difficult to work with. It just depends. I replaced the push pins that came with my cpu heatsink with #40-4 nylon nuts and bolts. They cost 11 cents each at Ace Hardware. It's a nifty trick I learned over at the ASUS forum. Works good and provides even pressure at all four corners.

Here's a link to a web site with lots of useful information about cpu heatsinks that might interest you:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

EDIT - I just went over to newegg.com and took a look at the photos of your motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There may be another problem. If you look at the photos you will see a blue colored heatsink with the word Gigabyte in white near the cpu socket. It is a chipset heatsink. We had a thread recently indicating that the chipset heatsink also gets in the way of some cpu heatsinks. There were solutions that were posted but I can't remember which cpu heatsinks were recommended to solve the problem. I am inclined to say the Xigmatech S1283 is okay but I'm not certain.
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2009 1:07:21 PM

Whoa,,backup a little there,,Since WHEN did AMD mobo's use push pins,I have been looking at that very[similar] mobo and it does NOT use push pins..
Recommended heat sink Arctic Cooler 64 Pro,using it now on an AMD 7850be,Also recommend the MA790FX-UD5P,as it will use your [probable current] DDR2,,non??.:) 
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2009 2:41:20 PM

dokk2 - It's not motherboards. It's the third party cpu heatsinks. Some of them use push pins.
May 5, 2009 4:51:49 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I looked into it a bit more and for AMD processors you use some sort of mounting clip that is different than push pins. I'm still not sure whether or not it will block RAM slots, but I suppose that's something that I'll find out soon enough.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 6, 2009 4:10:42 AM

Here's an example of a memory module with a tall heatsink that will get in the way:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Click on the image viewer and have a look. You can see a standard size memory module sandwiched between the green heatsinks.The heatsink looks like a comb. The "teeth" extend well above the memory module. These are the type that can definitely be a problem.
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2009 3:44:15 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
dokk2 - It's not motherboards. It's the third party cpu heatsinks. Some of them use push pins.

Agreed,,BUT not on AMD mobo's,,eh what..??..Only on Intel mobo's,,Eugghh...[the pushpins that is..:) ] :) 
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 6, 2009 4:26:32 PM

dokk2 - Some of the older third party cpu heatsinks for AMD processors had push-pins instead of clamps, clips, or screws. They are still available for purchase. Most of the push pins have disappeared from use. Currently it's mostly a variety of clamps, clips, and screws. There doesn't seem to be any international standard

I still use one of the original tower style cpu heatsinks in my AMD system. It came with push pins. Tension springs provided pressure to hold the heatsink in place but the pressure was inadequate. I replaced the push pins with #40-4 nylon nuts and bolts.
May 6, 2009 5:16:50 PM

Interesting... I suppose that's what you get when you combine a Gigabyte with Xigmatech. Sorry for the brain fart, meant Gigabyte.
May 6, 2009 6:09:14 PM

I have the MB, with a Tuniq Tower 120 cooler. The RAM slots are closer to the processor than the last MB I had, and so the OCZ Reaper memory I have is just a tiny bit too close to the cooler to fit. I had to put them in channel 1.

So, it is a very real concern with the combination of MB, large cooler, and tall RAM.
May 7, 2009 11:24:00 AM

LOL that build is almost identical to the one i am to build.
sorry not much help I'm just saying.
May 7, 2009 5:25:31 PM

It is a great build for the money. Be sure to hang around in this thread and post how things go. It would be cool to get a bunch of people with the same general build talking together about it.
May 7, 2009 5:41:07 PM

Definitely. My final piece just came in today, so hopefully I can start working on putting it together tonight or tomorrow.

On a partially unrelated note, do motherboards from Newegg usually come in a sealed box? I noticed that my box was unsealed and looked like it have been previously opened. I checked it and all the parts seemed to be in there, the motherboard itself was in the antistatic bag. I just thought it seemed kind of strange that there wasn't a seal on the box. I know you can buy open box items from Newegg, but this wasn't suppose to be one. I suppose it really isn't a big deal if all the pieces are there and it works. Perhaps it's part of Newegg's quality control, I dunno...
May 7, 2009 10:32:35 PM

Hmm...I've never gotten one in shrinkwrap or anything, if that is what you mean by sealed. Most likely just a sticker over the flap so it doesn't come open.

Check the list of "what's in the box," and if everything is there, I wouldn't worry about it.
!