Why not USB charging?

September 27, 2004 4:17:31 AM

The AC adapter of my Zire 31 puts out 5 volts, and so does a USB port.
The Zire 31 connects to a computer via the USB port, but (as far as I
can tell) the 5 volts that's available isn't used to power the Zire or
charge the battery. When I travel, I usually take my laptop and my PDA.
Being able to charge the PDA from the computer would save carrying the
separate AC adapter for the Zire. In addition, my laptop runs off 220 as
well as 115 volts, so all I need for international travel is a plug
adapter. The Zire adapter is 115 volts only, so USB charging eliminates
even more stuff when traveling internationally.

I've found a couple of vendors who make cables which split off 5 volts
from a USB cable to a separate connector to power the Zire, and one of
them will get my money for sure.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Palm didn't design the Zire 31
to automatically charge when connected to a computer via the USB port.
Is there some reason for this that I'm missing?

Roy Lewallen

More about : usb charging

September 27, 2004 1:54:12 PM

Roy Lewallen schreef (27-9-2004 9:17):
> I can't for the life of me figure out why Palm didn't design the Zire 31
> to automatically charge when connected to a computer via the USB port.
> Is there some reason for this that I'm missing?

My Zire 31 went up from ~ 30% battery to ~ 70% battery after I had it
connected by accident to the USB port once for 3 hours, so I'm guessing
it does recharge on the background or my Palms battery was acting
strangely, but since I never tried it again I can't fully say it did really.

Huub
September 27, 2004 4:45:42 PM

"Roy Lewallen" <w7el@eznec.com> wrote in message
> The AC adapter of my Zire 31 puts out 5 volts, and so does a USB port.
> The Zire 31 connects to a computer via the USB port, but (as far as I
> can tell) the 5 volts that's available isn't used to power the Zire or
> charge the battery. When I travel, I usually take my laptop and my PDA.
> Being able to charge the PDA from the computer would save carrying the
> separate AC adapter for the Zire. In addition, my laptop runs off 220 as
> well as 115 volts, so all I need for international travel is a plug
> adapter. The Zire adapter is 115 volts only, so USB charging eliminates
> even more stuff when traveling internationally.
>
> I've found a couple of vendors who make cables which split off 5 volts
> from a USB cable to a separate connector to power the Zire, and one of
> them will get my money for sure.
>
> I can't for the life of me figure out why Palm didn't design the Zire 31
> to automatically charge when connected to a computer via the USB port.
> Is there some reason for this that I'm missing?
>
> Roy Lewallen

The T|E recharges via USB, but at a trickle. The icon does not show. The
Zire probably works the same way.
Related resources
September 27, 2004 9:36:50 PM

My Clie Peg TJ37 recharges very well from USB using one of Global Source's
GS-In-Sync cables. Takes just a few hours from a nearly flat battery.

Mike
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 11:26:00 PM

"Alan" <alan@erols.com> schreef in bericht

> The T|E recharges via USB, but at a trickle. The icon does not show. The
> Zire probably works the same way.

Then again, can this be turned off? It will decrease the notebooks battery
time.

Rens
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 5:36:17 AM

Roy Lewallen <w7el@eznec.com> wrote in news:10lffkc7jh77mf3
@corp.supernews.com:

> The AC adapter of my Zire 31 puts out 5 volts, and so does a USB port.
> The Zire 31 connects to a computer via the USB port, but (as far as I
> can tell) the 5 volts that's available isn't used to power the Zire or
> charge the battery. When I travel, I usually take my laptop and my PDA.
> Being able to charge the PDA from the computer would save carrying the
> separate AC adapter for the Zire. In addition, my laptop runs off 220 as
> well as 115 volts, so all I need for international travel is a plug
> adapter. The Zire adapter is 115 volts only, so USB charging eliminates
> even more stuff when traveling internationally.
>
> I've found a couple of vendors who make cables which split off 5 volts
> from a USB cable to a separate connector to power the Zire, and one of
> them will get my money for sure.
>
> I can't for the life of me figure out why Palm didn't design the Zire 31
> to automatically charge when connected to a computer via the USB port.
> Is there some reason for this that I'm missing?

Yes, you're missing that the Zire 31 IS charging when it's connected to the
USB port, at least most USB ports. Some USB ports don't provide enough
power, and some don't provide any. Most hubs, for example, don't provide
power. One computer at work has 2 USB ports built in to it, and one
charges my Zire 71 and the other doesn't. A standard USB port should
charge the Zire 31, though, but it does it more slowly than the wall-wart,
because it provides less voltage and less current.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 5:37:54 AM

"Rens Kempen" <renskempen@hotmail.com> wrote in news:cj9ifl$nlk$1
@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

> "Alan" <alan@erols.com> schreef in bericht
>
>> The T|E recharges via USB, but at a trickle. The icon does not show. The
>> Zire probably works the same way.
>
> Then again, can this be turned off? It will decrease the notebooks battery
> time.

Probably not, but it depends on the notebook. Some may allow disabling the
USB port voltage, but I doubt it. The Palm can't do anything about it. If
you plug in accessories, you need to plug the notebook into AC power.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 2:10:27 PM

Stan Gosnell wrote:

> Yes, you're missing that the Zire 31 IS charging when it's connected to the
> USB port, at least most USB ports. Some USB ports don't provide enough
> power, and some don't provide any. Most hubs, for example, don't provide
> power. One computer at work has 2 USB ports built in to it, and one
> charges my Zire 71 and the other doesn't. A standard USB port should
> charge the Zire 31, though, but it does it more slowly than the wall-wart,
> because it provides less voltage and less current.

Thanks to all who commented. Sure enough, the Zire 31 *does* charge when
plugged into the USB port, although slowly as several folks mentioned. I
was misled by a figure in the manual that showed the unit connected to
the AC adapter and the USB port at the same time, and no mention I could
find in the manual about its charging from the USB port.

I did some web research on USB ports and believe that all USB ports have
to be able to supply 100 mA at 5 volts -- although they won't, say, if
connected to a laptop that's in a suspended mode. Devices can take up to
500 mA, but have to communicate via the bus that they're using that much
(as I interpret what I read). So my guess is that the Zire 31 consumes
100 mA or so, meaning that the battery would charge in about 10 hours if
it's turned off. It doesn't look like the USB would furnish enough to
replace the current taken out of the battery when the unit is on, so it
wouldn't run indefinitely from USB power. The third-party cables
probably violate the USB standard by using more current without
requesting it -- but that shouldn't be a problem unless you also have
some other power hog connected at the same time.

I think hubs are supposed to furnish power, too, but I know some are
limited to 500 mA total for all ports unless you attach some external
source of power to the hub, since that's all the hub can legally get
from the computer. Some of the hubs I have can be used with or without
an external power supply, and I believe they work that way.

Think I'll get me one of those third-party cables.

Thanks again!

Roy Lewallen
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 5:36:27 PM

Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9571D18E4ACBstanghalpc@204.52.135.40>...
> Roy Lewallen <w7el@eznec.com> wrote in news:10lffkc7jh77mf3
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
> > The AC adapter of my Zire 31 puts out 5 volts, and so does a USB port.
> > The Zire 31 connects to a computer via the USB port, but (as far as I
> > can tell) the 5 volts that's available isn't used to power the Zire or
> > charge the battery. When I travel, I usually take my laptop and my PDA.
> > Being able to charge the PDA from the computer would save carrying the
> > separate AC adapter for the Zire. In addition, my laptop runs off 220 as
> > well as 115 volts, so all I need for international travel is a plug
> > adapter. The Zire adapter is 115 volts only, so USB charging eliminates
> > even more stuff when traveling internationally.
> >
> > I've found a couple of vendors who make cables which split off 5 volts
> > from a USB cable to a separate connector to power the Zire, and one of
> > them will get my money for sure.
> >
> > I can't for the life of me figure out why Palm didn't design the Zire 31
> > to automatically charge when connected to a computer via the USB port.
> > Is there some reason for this that I'm missing?
>
> Yes, you're missing that the Zire 31 IS charging when it's connected to the
> USB port, at least most USB ports. Some USB ports don't provide enough
> power, and some don't provide any. Most hubs, for example, don't provide
> power. One computer at work has 2 USB ports built in to it, and one
> charges my Zire 71 and the other doesn't. A standard USB port should
> charge the Zire 31, though, but it does it more slowly than the wall-wart,
> because it provides less voltage and less current.

Hi,

Paul from palmOne here. Just to confirm, this from palmOne's Knowledge
Library:
"The Palm(tm) Zire handheld has a lithium-ion rechargeable battery
that is charged with the included power adapter, or through the
mini-USB connector through trickle charge. However, some systems may
not support trickle-charging, such as laptop computers."

Best

Paul

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Paul Novotny
paul.novotny@palmOne.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Start earning rewards today.
Register for free at
http://paysback.palmone.com/
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 5:36:35 PM

Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9571D18E4ACBstanghalpc@204.52.135.40>...
> Roy Lewallen <w7el@eznec.com> wrote in news:10lffkc7jh77mf3
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
> > The AC adapter of my Zire 31 puts out 5 volts, and so does a USB port.
> > The Zire 31 connects to a computer via the USB port, but (as far as I
> > can tell) the 5 volts that's available isn't used to power the Zire or
> > charge the battery. When I travel, I usually take my laptop and my PDA.
> > Being able to charge the PDA from the computer would save carrying the
> > separate AC adapter for the Zire. In addition, my laptop runs off 220 as
> > well as 115 volts, so all I need for international travel is a plug
> > adapter. The Zire adapter is 115 volts only, so USB charging eliminates
> > even more stuff when traveling internationally.
> >
> > I've found a couple of vendors who make cables which split off 5 volts
> > from a USB cable to a separate connector to power the Zire, and one of
> > them will get my money for sure.
> >
> > I can't for the life of me figure out why Palm didn't design the Zire 31
> > to automatically charge when connected to a computer via the USB port.
> > Is there some reason for this that I'm missing?
>
> Yes, you're missing that the Zire 31 IS charging when it's connected to the
> USB port, at least most USB ports. Some USB ports don't provide enough
> power, and some don't provide any. Most hubs, for example, don't provide
> power. One computer at work has 2 USB ports built in to it, and one
> charges my Zire 71 and the other doesn't. A standard USB port should
> charge the Zire 31, though, but it does it more slowly than the wall-wart,
> because it provides less voltage and less current.

Hi,

Paul from palmOne here. Just to confirm, this from palmOne's Knowledge
Library:
"The Palm(tm) Zire handheld has a lithium-ion rechargeable battery
that is charged with the included power adapter, or through the
mini-USB connector through trickle charge. However, some systems may
not support trickle-charging, such as laptop computers."

Best

Paul

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Paul Novotny
paul.novotny@palmOne.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Start earning rewards today.
Register for free at
http://paysback.palmone.com/
January 5, 2005 6:36:54 AM

hi i've just gotten a zire31. but i live in asia so i can't charge my
palm directly thru the AC adapter. well i've tried doing that by using
a universal plug but somehow my zire doesn't charge thru that. so i
read somewhere about charging it thru the USB cable. can this be done
with the standard USB cable that comes with it? or do i have to
purchase another special cable? well currently it's plugged into my
comp's USB port now but it's turned off so i can't tell if it's
actually charging or not, though this screen saying something about
'low battery' came on for about 2 secs and then disppeared. can't turn
it back on again.

--
frosted
January 5, 2005 8:01:18 AM

frosted wrote:

> hi i've just gotten a zire31. but i live in asia so i can't charge my
> palm directly thru the AC adapter. well i've tried doing that by using
> a universal plug but somehow my zire doesn't charge thru that. so i
> read somewhere about charging it thru the USB cable. can this be done
> with the standard USB cable that comes with it? or do i have to
> purchase another special cable? well currently it's plugged into my
> comp's USB port now but it's turned off so i can't tell if it's
> actually charging or not, though this screen saying something about
> 'low battery' came on for about 2 secs and then disppeared. can't turn
> it back on again.

You are probably looking for one of _these_ babies:

http://www.mynetdeals.com/palm-zire-retractable-usb-syn...

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

frosted <frosted.1id9oa@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in

> hi i've just gotten a zire31. but i live in asia so i can't charge my
> palm directly thru the AC adapter. well i've tried doing that by using
> a universal plug but somehow my zire doesn't charge thru that. so i
> read somewhere about charging it thru the USB cable. can this be done
> with the standard USB cable that comes with it?

A standard USB port will charge it, but it takes longer. Some laptop
ports, and a very few desktop ports, aren't powered, but most are.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 6:14:48 AM

Stan Gosnell wrote:

> frosted <frosted.1id9oa@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in
>

>> hi i've just gotten a zire31. but i live in asia so i can't charge my
>> palm directly thru the AC adapter. well i've tried doing that by using
>> a universal plug but somehow my zire doesn't charge thru that. so i
>> read somewhere about charging it thru the USB cable. can this be done
>> with the standard USB cable that comes with it?
>
> A standard USB port will charge it, but it takes longer. Some laptop
> ports, and a very few desktop ports, aren't powered, but most are.

Interesting. So I never had to carry wires and adapters with me when I
travelled.

Thanks Stan.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

Hi Roy & Stan,
>> A standard USB port will charge it, but it takes longer. Some laptop
>> ports, and a very few desktop ports, aren't powered, but most are.
> ..So I never had to carry wires and adapters with me when I travelled.
I've gone another hop in getting a cigarette lighter plug (that should
be more universal than AC connections in the world) that only supplies power
to the USB connection. That way I can run my Zire 71 as a MP3 player through
the car stereo or other functions on long trips. My thought is (also having
a 110V wall-wart to cigarette lighter socket converter too) that I'm taking
my Palm places that I may not have a computer with a USB port.
David
David@IBMMuseum.com
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:23:09 PM

frosted napsal(a):
> hi i've just gotten a zire31. but i live in asia so i can't charge my
> palm directly thru the AC adapter. well i've tried doing that by using
> a universal plug but somehow my zire doesn't charge thru that. so i
> read somewhere about charging it thru the USB cable. can this be done
> with the standard USB cable that comes with it? or do i have to
> purchase another special cable? well currently it's plugged into my
> comp's USB port now but it's turned off so i can't tell if it's
> actually charging or not, though this screen saying something about
> 'low battery' came on for about 2 secs and then disppeared. can't turn
> it back on again.

Well, how exactly should the Palm draw power from a swithed OFF
computer? Do you really think the USB is powered UP, when your computer
is powered DOWN? :-)
Mark
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 10:52:04 PM

Marek Stanìk wrote:
> Do you really think the USB is powered UP, when your
> computer is powered DOWN? :-)

Recently I saw that my bluetooth adapter plugged into the USB port on my
PC was flashing it's blue led, even though the PC was switched off
(Windows shutdown). I was a bit surprised about that. Afterwards I
realized that the BIOS of my PC allows it to be awakened on certain
events (like wake on LAN), so I am no longer surprised. Does the PC
offer enough power for the Palm to be charged? I don't know.

The Power Unit on the PC has an additional switch, putting this to off
will also stop the bluetooth adapter from flashing.

Regards

Daniel
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:38:41 PM

Daniel Bacher napsal(a):
> Marek Stanìk wrote:
>
>> Do you really think the USB is powered UP, when your
>>computer is powered DOWN? :-)
>

> Recently I saw that my bluetooth adapter plugged into the USB port on my
> PC was flashing it's blue led, even though the PC was switched off
> (Windows shutdown). I was a bit surprised about that. Afterwards I
> realized that the BIOS of my PC allows it to be awakened on certain
> events (like wake on LAN), so I am no longer surprised. Does the PC
> offer enough power for the Palm to be charged? I don't know.
>
> The Power Unit on the PC has an additional switch, putting this to off
> will also stop the bluetooth adapter from flashing.
>
> Regards
>
> Daniel

In this case, the USB has to provide power for eventual USB LAN,
keyboard, modem, or other devices that can be enabled to awaken the
computer. Anyways, I haven't encountered a computer that wouldn't be
able to charge the Palm in about 2 years. If you have the USB cradle,
try putting the Palm in it with the charger disconnected, and see if it
charges.
Mark
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 6:13:34 AM

Marek Stanìk <marekdotstanek@post.cz> wrote in news:cs8dh8$21pc$1
@ns.felk.cvut.cz:

> Well, how exactly should the Palm draw power from a swithed OFF
> computer? Do you really think the USB is powered UP, when your computer
> is powered DOWN? :-)
> Mark

Well, I read that as saying the Palm is turned off, not the computer. I
suppose it could be either, but the Palm should charge while turned off,
if the computer is on.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 6:04:13 AM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:41:11 GMT, Jack
<jackj1//hates> wrote:
> As for charging. I don't know if the Zire31 will charge though the
> USB port or not.
I have a Zire 31. It charges through the USB port. The on-screen
battery indicator doesn't show that it's charging, but after a few hours
it is fully charged.

--
BOFH excuse #270:

Someone has messed up the kernel pointers
!