Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

E5200 overclocking problem

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 5, 2009 3:51:58 AM

I have a ASUS p5q se plus mobo with 4 GB of ddr2 corsair XMS2 RAM plus the E5200.

When I try to overclock to just FSB 250 X 12.5 with just 1.25 core voltage it doesn't present me any errors. But After I apply new specs and reboot, the PC sometimes reaches the desktop then displays a blue screen or some other times at OS loading it presents me the blue screen which reads that it will begin memory dump. Then I need to manually reset my PC to be able to use it. This only happens when I try to overclock. If everything is left as is it runs perfectly.

I am guessing that the DDR2 RAM'S need to be overclock as well to balance the CPU's overclock. But I really don't know how to begin.

Any Ideas as in what the problem may be??
May 5, 2009 6:48:15 AM

I assume your ram is ddr2 800? If so than with e5200 at stock, fsb : ram ratio is set to 1:2, giving 400mhz(ddr2 800) memory speed. When you raise the fsb to 250 memory speed becomes 500mhz(ddr2 1000), and that probably causes your system to crash.

Have a look here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/240001-11-howto-ove...
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2009 7:06:20 AM

Read the OC stickys. Try more v-core
Related resources
May 5, 2009 6:43:21 PM

MaDMagik said:
I assume your ram is ddr2 800? If so than with e5200 at stock, fsb : ram ratio is set to 1:2, giving 400mhz(ddr2 800) memory speed. When you raise the fsb to 250 memory speed becomes 500mhz(ddr2 1000), and that probably causes your system to crash.

Have a look here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/240001-11-howto-ove...



I tried overclocking at 250 FSB but still no result.

I decided to try a lower FSB like 224 and it worked. No blues creen or anything.

I noticed something rather odd. I check with CPU-Z and it is showing me the my RAM timing is 5-5-5-15 when manufactures specs say its 4-4-4-12. Is this the problem that is causing me not to reach FSB 250?

Also I looked for FSB:RAM ration setting in BIOS and could not find it. Also used CPU-Z to see the ratio and found out that its at 3:5. I'm guessing that this might have something to do with the problem at higher FSB.

These are the settings I have:

2.8 GHZ

224 x 12.5

PCIE --100MHZ

Core voltage -- 1.26v

RAM Voltage -- 2.1v (specific manufacture voltage)

All I looking for is to be able to OC to 3 GHZ.

May 5, 2009 9:20:08 PM

Look, if you read the guide everything will become clear. You wont find Ratio Setting in bios, those different memory speeds you can choose from are your ratios. With fsb 250, memory speed of 250mhz(ddr 500) is your 1:1 ratio , and you should set it to that when overclocking CPU, to prevent overclocked memory from causing problems.

You can change timings manually in bios to those specified by manufacturer, theyre not always set correctly by the mobo.

Read the guide. Than carry on trying.
May 5, 2009 9:35:38 PM

Looking at the settings you posted, I can tell that your problem at this point is probably your vcore.

I could try explaining what to do here, but I think it would be alot better to just refer you to the stickys. Most of the answers to your questions can be found in there, and if after reading through that you still have questions, you can come back here and we can help you from there.

While reading the stickys, you should note that the BIOS on a motherboard will vary from one manufacturer to another, so settings might be labeled differently than what you might be looking for.
May 6, 2009 3:47:46 PM

evilshuriken said:
I could try explaining what to do here, but I think it would be alot better to just refer you to the stickys. Most of the answers to your questions can be found in there, and if after reading through that you still have questions, you can come back here and we can help you from there.
Exactly.

And bios shown in the guide is Amibios which you have on your mobo too, so its pretty much identical
May 7, 2009 12:30:41 AM

Got it. Overclocked sucesfully to 3.0 GHZ.

I adjusted Vcore to 1.26825

Adjusted RAM voltage to 2.1v(manufactures Specs.)

Also change timing to manufactures specs. It was at 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12. No problem with RAM memory dumping anymore.

Used CPU-Z to see ratio at used the formula (2xFSB/ratio) which mine was 3:5[which in my case would be 2x240/(3/5)]

Manually adjusted RAM MHZ to 800. It was automatically raising it to 960MHZ at that was causing my system to crash.

Look on the web for safe Vcore Range.

All in all is was tricky but got it overclock to 3.0Ghz with amazing low Temp. Core Temp read only a 40C peak.

Now since it worked im itching to go for more. Most likely will buy better fan for processor first.

Thanks for all the help. Any one how also got problems with overclocking E5200. These are my system specs so that you can refrence:

ASUS P5Q SE Plus

4GB Corsair ddr2 800MHZ

E5200 processor(obviously)

ATI Radeon HD 4350 (1GB)

680W power supply

Happy overclocking!
May 7, 2009 5:10:57 PM

evilshuriken said:
Looking at the settings you posted, I can tell that your problem at this point is probably your vcore.

I could try explaining what to do here, but I think it would be alot better to just refer you to the stickys. Most of the answers to your questions can be found in there, and if after reading through that you still have questions, you can come back here and we can help you from there.

While reading the stickys, you should note that the BIOS on a motherboard will vary from one manufacturer to another, so settings might be labeled differently than what you might be looking for.



Should I update BIOS to latest version?
May 8, 2009 1:17:27 AM

MaDMagik said:
Exactly.

And bios shown in the guide is Amibios which you have on your mobo too, so its pretty much identical



I got a problem. I overclocked it to 3.0 GHZ and it starts off fine. But after a while It restarts with no error message or blue screen or anything that would tell me what is wrong. It just restarts.

I up dated bios because in previous motherboard I installed a new processor and it would restart just like that and all it needed was a BIOS up-date.

Any idea what might be the problem??
!