Phenom II X3 720

sspazz34

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Hey everyone, I found this on ARSTECHNICA.COM

Link:
http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/03/amds-phenom-ii-x3-720-now-with-25-percent-more-rawr.ars

Now keep in mind this is from March 1st so there may be some more recent info available. I am in the process of building a PC and this is the CPU I would like to OC.

Excerpt from Arstechnica.com CREDIT to JOEL HRUSKA:

"If you're a tweaker hemming over whether or not you want a Phenom II X3 triple-core processor, recent rumors around the Interweb may finally push you into the "Yes" camp. The word on the street is that certain Phenom II X3 720 cores—specifically, those manufactured on the fourth week of 2009 (batch number 0904") can be unlocked simply by turning on Advanced Clock Calibration in the BIOS. It's not clear yet whether the trick works with all motherboards, but various users have reported success using boards from Asus, Gigabyte, Biostar, and DFI.

As with all overclocking, the usual caveats apply—there's no guarantee it'll work, the triple core might not be stable (or might need to run at a lower clockspeed), you may have to tune other motherboard settings to improve stability, etc, etc, blah blah blah. Point is, the already interesting Phenom II X3 720 now carries a tantalizing hint of something more in addition to its own overclocking headroom. Four cores, after all, is good. Four cores plus 400MHz, well, that's even better. "

Please read the full report for more

Hope this helps