I7 920 oc runs too hot,help please

hasteveha

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I have the i7 920,I'm trying to get it to 3.6, but it keeps rebooting, or getting 79 degress. I used bclk 180, and vcore to 1.2, 1.25,1.3, 1.3125, it'll either run really hot, or reboot.What setting do you reccomend to get it to 3.6 I'm using a xigmatek dark knight cooler.

XMP Profile 1: 1066MHz 7-7-7-20 1.5V
XMP Profile 2: 1800MHz 9-9-9-28 1.65V
XTC Heatspreader
1.65V EVP
Capacity 6GB (3 x 2GB)
Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cas Latency 8
Timing 8-8-8-24
Voltage 1.65V
That's the ram i'm using.
Brand OCZ
Series XMP Ready Series
Model OCZ3X1600LV6GK
I'm not sure how to optimize the ram either.

If anyone else knows let me know please thanks

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
What temp program you using to monitor, best to use 2 different ones also to get accurate reading, Core temp and real temp, Next, whats are your idle temps etc? and how long does it take for you to get to 79C, Need details man...then i can help... thanks

hasteveha

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I'm using real temp, I'll try core temp. Right now with everything stock, temps are system 45, cpu 36, core 0 31,core 2 27c .etc . I just put everything default, except vcore 1.25 and 180 bclk. Idle temps now 44,40,42,40 with turbo disabled. I just started up prime 95 on blend, bam crash.

I just ran xmp profile 2, and it made vcore 1.22 and bclk 150, it's going at 2.70ghz temps runnings occt with custom,large data set on
min temp 46,42,44,41
max temp 73,69,70,66

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Idle temp looks right, what CPU COOLER are you using? WHat Case also? Spread thermal paste right? HSF all the ways down? Got enough fans in case, blowing right direction,

hasteveha

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I'm using the xigmatek dark knight, antec 1200. I put arctic silver on. HSF? Yeah all the fans are blowing, i'm ordering more.

I changed the bclk to 167, left turbo on, and turned vcore to auto.

min temp
I can occt custom, 1 hour, large data set, prio high, checked hyperthreading as dual core,

when I ran the test, the vcore went from 1.24 to 1.26
after about 6 minutes
max temp 78,73,75,69

I got scared and stopped it when it got to 78. Should I let it keep going?

What motherboard do you have? I found that turning off the Line load calibration helps with temps. It boosts vcore when under load, which helps stability but generates heat.

Also, Those temps look fine. Download OCCT 3.0.1 and run a custom test with a Large Data set, High priority, and check the Hyperthreading box. let it run and see if it make it an hour. Let us know your idle and load temps. Don't panic because OCCT registers temps about 3C higher than coretemp or realtemp.

I hit 85C load in OCCT and idle at 55C. So your temps are fine. I use a Thermalright U-120 eXtreme cooler. the i7 just runs hot, don't compare it to the core2

hasteveha

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I have the Asus P6T V2. I'll turn off line load. Yeah I was running OCCT 3.0.1 with those settings, I use to use an asus program to monitor temps, and when it hit 79 it would make an alarm noise, so I would get scared and stop the test. I also use a Dark Knight cooler

I've hit 95c with my i7 already when I first installed it and was playing with the OC. I can run 4.2GH'z but it hits that 95C mark. I was hitting about 90C before my thermal paste started to settle a little and now I hit around 85C according to the OCCT temps. Talking with a buddy you don't want to push that 90C mark in OCCT. Granted you will NEVER hit that in the real world, but you want to make sure it's stable. But 80C is fine with that cooler. Try that Line Load setting, set it to disabled. It is ment to help vdroop but all it does is books the vcore on load. Vdroop is normal and only a few higher end boards have GOOD vdroop prevention.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
unless I misread, no one has suggested turning HT off...it makes a dramatic difference in load temps and has little use in real-world apps today.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
HT adds performance in a very select number of programs...I don't know many programs that can utilize 8 cores. I personally have it on as well but it's something to definitely consider if you're worried about temps.

HT shows absolutely no performance gain in games, and in a select few actually knocks a few FPS off.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
yeah...multi-threaded applications...the i7 is a quad-core processor to begin with. HT gives it 8 cores, 4 of which are virtual. My point is not many programs use more than 4 cores...

villan

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Hey your temps are low right now i have mine clocked at 3.8 and with real temp and CPU load at 100% im up to 99c,97c,97,94c i have 7 SP2004 running and i dont see no smoke coming from it and its been at that temp for 15mins now.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Guys,

Respectfully, this thread contains several misconceptions. Let's get this straightend out and into perspective.

hasteveha,

Have you read the following Guide? Intel Core i7-920 Overclocking Guide - http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-920-overclocking.html

Overclocking requires that processor and bus stability thresholds be established prior to finding memory stability thresholds, for which there are tested and proven methods. Temperatures are about understanding Intel's voltage and thermal specification, and not exceeding them.

Core i7 specifications:

Vcore Max = 1.375
Tcase Max (CPU temperature) = 68c
Tjunction (Core temperature) = 73c

Regarding Hyperthreading; when enabled, it can increase temperatures by as much as a whopping 33%. It's advantageous only for extrteme processor intensive games such as Flight Simulator X, or for audio / video encoding applications: Real World Gameplay CPU Scaling - http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTY0NCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Regarding processor longevity; excessive Vcore and temperatures will adversely affect overclock ceiling and CPU longevity over time, which is a process sometimes referred to as "Electromigration". Intel's term is "Processor Degradation" which is explained in the following article: The Truth About Processor Degradation - http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3251&p=6

Regarding Line-Load Calibration; for your Asus P6T Deluxe V2 it should be enabled. Some of the more recent motherboards have improved designs for Vdroop compensation over older models. Formerly, Vcore would decrease sharply by as much or more than 64 millivolts from idle thru load, which required a higher Vcore setting in BIOS to provide stability at load.

The latest developments in Vdroop compensation allows a lower Vcore to be set in BIOS, which either remains constant from idle thru load, or increases by a minimum increment of 8 millivolts. The result is tighter voltage regulation and lower Vcore at idle and moderate loads, which in turn produces lower temperatures: Intel Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines and Specifications: Vdroop Explained - http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=126

Regarding overclocking and temperatures, there are many variables involved, so let's outline the basics.

Core i7's have a single CPU temperature sensor (Tcase), and four Core temperature sensors (Tjunction). For all Core i7's, Intel's Thermal Specification is 68c, which is shown in their Processor Spec Finder - http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBCH

68c is maximum CPU temperature (Tcase Max), NOT Core temperature, which is a common misconception among many users. Also, there's a 5c Gradient between CPU temperature (lower) and Core temperature (higher), which is shown in the following Intel document - http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0709/0709.1861.pdf

Although maximum Core temperature (Tjunction Max) is 100c, which is for Throttle and Shutdown protection, the corresponding CPU temperature would be 95c; far too hot for sane operation. As such, CPU temperatures above 68c and Core temperatures above 73c should be considered as an "overtemp" condition.

SpeedFan shows CPU temperature AND Core temperature, while Real Temp shows Core temperatures ONLY. Both programs allow calibrations. Intel has stated that the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) used for monitoring Core temperatures are accurate at very high temperatures, become less accurate as temperatures decrease, and may be unreliable at idle temperatures.

On the other hand, the Analog Thermal Diode used for monitoring CPU temperature is linear from idle thru high temperatures, which is why, as per agreement with Intel, motherboard manufacturers do not include Core temperature in their monitoring utilities found on the installation disk, such as Asus Probe.

Never assume that default temperatures are accurate. The accuracy of CPU temperature is determined by BIOS calibrations, but can be closely calibrated in SpeedFan. The accuracy of Core temperatures are determined by Intel factory calibrations, but can be closely calibrated in SpeedFan and Real Temp.

Prime95 Blend, or OCCT (Linpack), or CPU Burn Test (LinX) are cyclic workloads that produce fluctuating temperatures, some of which are extremely high at 115% workload. While these are useful for stability testing, they're inappropriate for thermal testing. Prime95 Small FFT's is the standard for thermal testing, because it's a steady-state 100% workload. Since thermal saturation is reached within 7 to 8 minutes, a 10 minute test is adequate. Keep in mind that ambient temperature plays an important role, and even the most processor intensive games or applications will rarely exceed 70% to 85% sustained workload.

From the Core i7 and Core 2 Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core-core-temperature-guide

Scale 4: Quad
Ci7 9xx: Tcase Max 68c, Stepping C0, TDP 130W, Idle 16W<--Core i7
QX6x50: Tcase Max 65c, Stepping G0, TDP 130W, Idle 16W
QX6800: Tcase Max 65c, Stepping G0, TDP 130W, Idle 16W
QX6700: Tcase Max 65c, Stepping B3, TDP 130W, Idle 24W
QX9650: Tcase Max 64c, Stepping C1, TDP 130W, Idle 16W
QX9650: Tcase Max 64c, Stepping C0, TDP 130W, Idle 16W
QX9775: Tcase Max 63c, Stepping C0, TDP 150W, Idle 16W

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--65--/--70--70--70--70-- Hot
--60--/--65--65--65--65-- Warm
--55--/--60--60--60--60--Safe <--
--25--/--30--30--30--30-- Cool

Any care to comment?

Comp :sol:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
PsychoSaysDie,

I've configured BIOS Profile 1 to use HT for Flight Simulator X, but I routinely run BIOS Profile 2 with HT off at the following low power setting:

Turbo Off
EIST On
Speedstep On
CPU Ratio 20
BCLK 150
DDR3 1200 @ 6-6-6-15
3.0 Ghz
Vcore 1.000
All other voltages maunal @ minimnum
Idle 170 Watts / 25c CPU / 29c Core @ 22c Ambient
Load 229 Watts / 39c CPU / 44c Core @ 22c Ambient

3 Ghz @ 1 Volt is sweet! :love:

Comp :sol:

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Very interesting stuff Comp...great info!

At psycho,

Maybe try reading something before spewing hateful comments. I still stand by turning off HT for people with load temperature issues...especially for those who will not utilize its functionality.

Grnkjr0

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hey

I do not think the reason to why the orginal poster is crashing when running prime95 is a heat issue, but rather a memory multiplier/uncore frequenzy problem. Try setting Uncore frequenzy to be at least twice your RAM speed and then the next on ladder. Start with Vcore at 1.36 and memory to 1.64. When your overclock is stable set memory voltage lower until you crash and then set it one step higher.

What you need to do is enable BCLK and set it to 170 (3.4 GHz with turbo mode on you get 3.6 GHz) and then set the Uncore frequenzy to the double of your memory and then some. If your RAM are running 1600 memory frequenzy, Uncore frequenzy needs to be set to x21 which is 3400. Then change the QPI link speed to x36. You might need to set QPI/Vtt voltage to like 1.3 or a little higher - but try to set it Auto for starters. Are you still not booting you can change the CPU Vcore to around 1.40, (mine on 190 BCLK needs like 1.37), but that should not be needed, it is most likely your memory Uncore frequenzy that is the problem.

P.S

You could disable turbo and set BCLK to 180 - you decide. My X-58 Gigabyte UD4P can do 200 BCLK with turbo enabled - on air - 3.6 GHz should not be a problem.

Poul