punchie13

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
hello everyone! ive been good this month and my girlfriend allowed me to spend 400 bux on an upgrade! :love: my main concern was upgrading from the kiddie 2 duo (2.13) im currently using. so immediately i cut into that budget 190 bux and choose the 8400 wolfdale. well, the only problem with that is my p5w dh deluxe doesnt support the 45nm cpu's!! :fou: my mind is made up though! i want that cpu!! :) so i decide to scrap the p5w (anyone need a mobo/cpu combo :sol: ) i ended up going with an asrock Penryn1600SLI-110dB mobo. 80 ducketts oem (yeah newegg) between me and my roomie we have enough "nuts and bolts" to make up for the missing accessories. and im keeping my fingers crossed the bargain shopping pays off :sarcastic: anyways, after a sata cd-rom drive, some arctic silver 5, and the cleanup kit, and shipping i was at $317!! :bounce: so...with a little extra lovin...i managed to get her to let me go "a lil" over budget and make one more pick..a 150g raptor 10000rpm hdd. (80 bux over budget aint that bad ;) ) which leads me to my question....i still want to use my 400g wd 7200rpm. from what ive gathered, because they are 2 different models, i cant run any type of raid config.?.? if i cant, thats cool. i would still like to use it(400g) for storage, with the raptor just having windows, games, and other frequently used programs on it. so when im done putting everything together i would like to install windows as if both drives were new. so how do i erase and reformat the 400g im currently using, so that when im done installing windows on the raptor, this one (400g) is completely empty, formatted, and ready to....uh...store stuff lol. thanks in advance for all your help.

hhhmmmm...what do you mean from "ive been good this month and my girlfriend allowed me to spend 400 bux on an upgrade!", did the money come from your girlfriend? :( wished I have one like that too. Naahhh......I like to buy everything out of own sweat, and buy her a thing or two.

Read this if you wanna be sure about RAIDs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks
If it is still not enough put the key word RAID configuration on google or yahoo.

akhilles

Splendid
That's disinformation. Pretty much all P965 & P975 can support 45nm cpus. The question is, does the manufacturer throw their support behind the new cpus? ASUS does. And if you're a regular visitor to overclocking forums, those guys LOVE P965 and abuse them to the max. Say 5-7Ghz overclock. With mods & exotic cooling.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5W%20DH%20Deluxe

Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00GHz,1333FSB,L2:6MB,65W,rev.C0) ALL
Flash your bios to that or newer prior to cpu upgrade. Oh yeah, your budget is very low. I'd pick up an E7200 for $130 and a good GPU like 9600GT. Holy fork! You got the best memory. It's begging to be overclocked. You might wannt throw in a good cpu cooler like Xigmatek HDT-S1283.

gadgetnerd

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008

lol :sweat: propbly controls his money :kaola:

Question: Why are you upgrading? Is it a general upgrade itch, or are there specific games or apps that don't run well enough to enjoy? With a limited budget, it seems to me you're wasting a lot of it buying a Raptor.
What video card do you have now? What games do you want to play, and at what resolution?

punchie13

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
LOL...to jitpublisher...dont be jealous. maybe instead of being "honorary poster" you can try being an "honorary exerciser" let me give you some advice since you seem to like roaming around forums and clustering up space with your high school girl gibberish......put down the cheeseburgers....quit smoking....get out of that damn pc chair...and get some exercise!!! i know ur old as hell...but its not to late!! LOL! and to guanyu210379...i can assure that everything i own, i own because i work my ass of for it!! does my girlfriend control my money...hell yeah she does. im a poor money manager, i can admit it!! and because of her im able to wake up one morning and decide i want a new cpu,(and no, i dont "need" it) and know that i have the money for it, without sacrificing anything! i mean holy crap fellas...i didnt realize mentioning a girlfriend on here would cause such an uproar! some of you guys should get out more often. also...maybe you guys know something the asus tech doesnt...i asked him specifically about the wolfdale, and he told me no. not even with the newest bios 2704 (which i already have btw) believe me though, im skeptical also. he mentioned something about the fsb of the wolfdale being 1333....but that doesnt make sense because my 6400 is running at 1600 right now! regardless, i will try it in the p5w first, but if it doesnt, then at least i wont have to wait another couple days for new board. and jtt283, yes, its just an itch. everything runs fine, i play all my games at 1680x1050 (if they have it lol) eventually, ill convince her to let me spend 5-6 hundred on a 9 series card. but for now, the 7900gto 512mb runs like a champ (it will be 2 years in oct w/ it) games include:crysis, met gear, cod4, i love rainbow6 vegas2. but you dont understand jtt283..i want that wolfdale!! LOL! so thats why im going through this. i do appreciate the fact that you seem to be the lone grown up on the page though. holy crap! even you, guanyu210379, managed to post something useful in between your bundles of mis-information. but, ive already read the arcticle already. setting up raid wasnt even my question! damn! i really wanted to keep goin, but me and my hot azz girlfriend are going to eat lunch, and go swimming. oh yeah....trust me...im buyin lunch! LOL!! to those of you who were helpful...thank you. to those of you who werent (jitpublisher)...good luck!

punchie13

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
HOLY SHAT!! LOL!! you guys are pathetic!! LOL!! LOLOLOLOL!!! look at you freaks profile pix!! LOLOLOL!!! and your callin me a homo! LOLOLOL!! oh...i get it...the whole revenge of the nerds thing! i gotchya!! LOLOLOLOL!! buttpirates are probably im'ing each other!

punchie13

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
"This is the funniest thread that I have ever had since my first day joining this forum."

says it all!! LOLOLOL!! try going outside and gettin some sun......powder! LOLOL

Oh, I understand entirely about the upgrade itch. I think I've alleviated mine for quite some time by building my current rig, featuring a Q9450. My GPU is "only" an EAH3850, but it handles my needs well enough that I don't sense any impending need to scratch. Maybe I'll feel differently when GW2 comes out, but I doubt it.
Make sure your PSU is of sufficient quality to handle your upgraded system. 500W-600W is probably enough (check http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp) but make sure the quality is good. It's an outdated list, but you might start at http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon, choosing one from tier-3 or better.

TRENDING THREADS