DSL Problem

About two months ago I had SBC DSL installed. It was a troublesome
installation due to outside telephone line problems. After three days of DSL
problems (on their end) they considered it to be completely installed. I
have a single private telephone line for this computer. My problem is that
the DSL now disconnects--sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after
several hours. Restarting the PC gets it going again. SBC Tech Support
tells me that their line is free and clear and that the problem must be on my
end. A new Pentium 100 Highspeed Network Adapter has been installed for two
days. No effect. Would this seem to be my computer problem, or does anybody
have another idea? I don't know where to turn next. Thanks much.
5 answers Last reply
More about problem

    Hi,

    It needs to be troubleshot from your end by a technician. Otherwise cancel
    the service as it will not get better until they locate where the problem
    is. While it could be on your end, it is just as likely not. Are you
    connected through a router, or just the DSL modem? Try pinging the gateway
    address when you go offline to see if you can talk to it (start/run ipconfig
    /all to see what the gateway address is). If you can talk to the gateway
    when you are offline, then the problem is from there on out, not on your
    system.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > About two months ago I had SBC DSL installed. It was a troublesome
    > installation due to outside telephone line problems. After three days of
    > DSL
    > problems (on their end) they considered it to be completely installed. I
    > have a single private telephone line for this computer. My problem is
    > that
    > the DSL now disconnects--sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after
    > several hours. Restarting the PC gets it going again. SBC Tech Support
    > tells me that their line is free and clear and that the problem must be on
    > my
    > end. A new Pentium 100 Highspeed Network Adapter has been installed for
    > two
    > days. No effect. Would this seem to be my computer problem, or does
    > anybody
    > have another idea? I don't know where to turn next. Thanks much.

    We really need more information. What is your exact setup, do you connect
    directly to the modem, does the modem do the PPPoE?

    Is there any way you could bypass your house wiring to go directly to the
    modem for testing? Which modem do you have?

    There are other groups with more specific information. Look for sbc to find
    a help group and if you go to the address below and pick which Telco forum
    you need to be in. If you post a question is the SBC forum, it might get
    moved to the special SBC direct forum.

    http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

    Clark

    "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > About two months ago I had SBC DSL installed. It was a troublesome
    > installation due to outside telephone line problems. After three days of
    > DSL
    > problems (on their end) they considered it to be completely installed. I
    > have a single private telephone line for this computer. My problem is
    > that
    > the DSL now disconnects--sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after
    > several hours. Restarting the PC gets it going again. SBC Tech Support
    > tells me that their line is free and clear and that the problem must be on
    > my
    > end. A new Pentium 100 Highspeed Network Adapter has been installed for
    > two
    > days. No effect. Would this seem to be my computer problem, or does
    > anybody
    > have another idea? I don't know where to turn next. Thanks much.

    Hi Rick, Thanks for your well-thought-out reply. Your answer got me onto the
    right track. After checking the Norton Firewall I found that the DSL circuit
    was being held up as a possible intruder. I had to configure it as a trusted
    site. Now everything seems to be working as it should. Thanks again.
    Breadstick

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > It needs to be troubleshot from your end by a technician. Otherwise cancel
    > the service as it will not get better until they locate where the problem
    > is. While it could be on your end, it is just as likely not. Are you
    > connected through a router, or just the DSL modem? Try pinging the gateway
    > address when you go offline to see if you can talk to it (start/run ipconfig
    > /all to see what the gateway address is). If you can talk to the gateway
    > when you are offline, then the problem is from there on out, not on your
    > system.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > About two months ago I had SBC DSL installed. It was a troublesome
    > > installation due to outside telephone line problems. After three days of
    > > DSL
    > > problems (on their end) they considered it to be completely installed. I
    > > have a single private telephone line for this computer. My problem is
    > > that
    > > the DSL now disconnects--sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after
    > > several hours. Restarting the PC gets it going again. SBC Tech Support
    > > tells me that their line is free and clear and that the problem must be on
    > > my
    > > end. A new Pentium 100 Highspeed Network Adapter has been installed for
    > > two
    > > days. No effect. Would this seem to be my computer problem, or does
    > > anybody
    > > have another idea? I don't know where to turn next. Thanks much.

    Hi Clark, Thanks for your detailed input. I think that I have it figured
    out now. As it turns out, the Norton Firewall was triggering a security
    alert with the idea that it was an intruder. Since I switched the alert to a
    trusted zone everything has worked fine. I'm happy to know that there is an
    SBC forum--I should have known that sooner! Thanks again. Breadstick

    "Clark" wrote:

    > We really need more information. What is your exact setup, do you connect
    > directly to the modem, does the modem do the PPPoE?
    >
    > Is there any way you could bypass your house wiring to go directly to the
    > modem for testing? Which modem do you have?
    >
    > There are other groups with more specific information. Look for sbc to find
    > a help group and if you go to the address below and pick which Telco forum
    > you need to be in. If you post a question is the SBC forum, it might get
    > moved to the special SBC direct forum.
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all
    >
    > Clark
    >
    > "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > About two months ago I had SBC DSL installed. It was a troublesome
    > > installation due to outside telephone line problems. After three days of
    > > DSL
    > > problems (on their end) they considered it to be completely installed. I
    > > have a single private telephone line for this computer. My problem is
    > > that
    > > the DSL now disconnects--sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after
    > > several hours. Restarting the PC gets it going again. SBC Tech Support
    > > tells me that their line is free and clear and that the problem must be on
    > > my
    > > end. A new Pentium 100 Highspeed Network Adapter has been installed for
    > > two
    > > days. No effect. Would this seem to be my computer problem, or does
    > > anybody
    > > have another idea? I don't know where to turn next. Thanks much.

    Great. Thanks for the feedback.

    --

    > Hi Rick, Thanks for your well-thought-out reply. Your answer got me onto
    > the
    > right track. After checking the Norton Firewall I found that the DSL
    > circuit
    > was being held up as a possible intruder. I had to configure it as a
    > trusted
    > site. Now everything seems to be working as it should. Thanks again.
    > Breadstick
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It needs to be troubleshot from your end by a technician. Otherwise
    >> cancel
    >> the service as it will not get better until they locate where the problem
    >> is. While it could be on your end, it is just as likely not. Are you
    >> connected through a router, or just the DSL modem? Try pinging the
    >> gateway
    >> address when you go offline to see if you can talk to it (start/run
    >> ipconfig
    >> /all to see what the gateway address is). If you can talk to the gateway
    >> when you are offline, then the problem is from there on out, not on your
    >> system.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > About two months ago I had SBC DSL installed. It was a troublesome
    >> > installation due to outside telephone line problems. After three days
    >> > of
    >> > DSL
    >> > problems (on their end) they considered it to be completely installed.
    >> > have a single private telephone line for this computer. My problem is
    >> > that
    >> > the DSL now disconnects--sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after
    >> > several hours. Restarting the PC gets it going again. SBC Tech
    >> > Support
    >> > tells me that their line is free and clear and that the problem must be
    >> > on
    >> > my
    >> > end. A new Pentium 100 Highspeed Network Adapter has been installed
    >> > for
    >> > two
    >> > days. No effect. Would this seem to be my computer problem, or does
    >> > anybody
    >> > have another idea? I don't know where to turn next. Thanks much.

DSL Computers Microsoft Windows XP