Help! No graphics card signal???

erekp

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Help!

I'm stumped... I rebuilt my system with a PSU and new mobo, with a fresh install of WinXP Pro on the main drive.

The system will not give any signal to the monitor! Besides getting a new graphics card, what other things can I try to fix this? I'm using an old Gigabyte dual 6600GT graphics card (single slot dual GPU) that USED to work in a previous build... the most likely culprit. But I'm also using the same RAM, as well as the same drives...

Is there any possibility that the RAM could have "gone bad" or some such? Is it even worth it to try to boot with only the new drive, considering I can't even see a BIOS screen?

HELP! Any help is greatly appreciated.

--Erekp

What exactly is your computer doing now?
Any beep codes? Fans spining up? Hd's sound like they are working?

I would start by removing and reinstalling everything, cleaning where neccessary. Also to make sure your PSU is plugged in everywhere it is needed.

Try this and come back with more information including your componet list.

erekp

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"I would start by removing and reinstalling everything, cleaning where neccessary. Also to make sure your PSU is plugged in everywhere it is needed. "

Already done... No beep codes, all fans spinning (and blinking or lighting, depending...) Opticals did boot check when they were installed (now unplugged). HDD's spinning... It seems like everything is working but graphics but I can't see BIOS screen to be sure... Gigabyte card has 6 pin input that I never needed to plug in on previous board... Don't know what goes to 6 pin connector, unless it's the 6 pin that detaches from the main mobo power connector (where the entire power connector plugged into previous SLI mobo, only the primary portion plugs into this mobo, with a 6-pin separating.) Also, mobo is Crossfire Xpress 200 chipset.

The 6 pin power connector provides suplilmetal power to your GPU. This is expecially important considering you are sharing the 75W pcie provides across 2 GPU's. Dose your new PSU have a 6 pin GPU connector? If not, trade it in for a better one. If it dose, plug it in and try again. Most likley your new Mb is not pumping enough power to the 6600GT X2.

erekp

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"Yes it exists but it is prety rare I think."

Yip... bought it because it was the first SLI single card solution; saved me about $50-75 over 2 individual 6600GT's.

Ok, so what does this 6 pin GPU connector look like? Is it the extra 6 pin running with the mobo power cable? Or is it a seperate cable altogether that I lost? (I keep all cables, I thought, but cant find a 6 pin...)

Also the "new" PSU is actually my old Antec 500 Watt Trupower modular. Has main cable for mobo and fans with a 6 pin left over that previously plugged INTO the mobo I had before (extended mobo power connection) plus 4 modular 6 pin from PSU to SATA and 4 pin power...

Again, main question is what OTHER than the card could be the problem, or is the graphics card the only thing that would fail the monitor signal when everything looks like it is operating?

Thanks for the help.
-Erekp

This is a what the connector should look like.

BTE1740.jpg

Could also be a bad motherboard, ram, PSU among other things. My $$ is still on the quick easy fix of providing your GPU with enough power. What are your full system specs?