Administrator w/ out rights

TexasOne

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Hello,
Hi, i am trying to fix my computer. The built in NIC card stopped working so i recently installed a new one, and when i went into Msconfig to shutdown some programs it said "i did not have administrative right/priviliges" so the changes that i made did not take effect. My computer is Running windows xp home edition. It is a pentium4 2.93 w/ a front side bus of 533. It is also an HP compaq computer. I reformated the computer and reinstalled XP using the hp recovery prompt when you first startup the computer. Then i ran the windows updates and service packs on it and installed norton and adaware. Now after doing all of this stuff i am no longer able to make changes through "msconfig" I checked the administrator account and it said that i was indeed the administrator with no limits, yet i could not make any changes. So i created another administrator account and i had the same problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There's a difference between the system Administrator account and a Computer Administrator User Account. Restart and tap the Function 8 key and select Safe Mode then log in there as Administrator. That should give you the rights to make the changes you want.[/#000ff]