Memory possibly bad but not sure

Kedoch

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
This is sort of a boarder line memory/WinXP question, so hopefully this is the proper section.

Recently upon trying to install a new WinXP SP2 Home Edition onto a brand new machine towards the very start of the install before I could even partition or format for the first time (If I recall directly after it finished loading all it's drivers or such) it would BSOD returning a Session 3 Initialization Failed message. (STOP: 6F for those interested)

At any rate, that is the background. The fix I found to work was removing a stick of this Crucial Memory (an 2x 1GB Kit, confirmed to be compatible with the mobo).

Upon removing that memory stick I managed a successful install (Which was later ruined by crappy drivers on the mobo install disk, again for those interested nvgts.sys causing an IRQL not less or equal error).

So I reformat again, and try with both memory sticks in the board, failure. Tried with just the previously removed stick in the board and it failed. So I went back to the working configuration and installed and got everything working just dandy.

Grabbed memtest, shut down, unplugged, stuck the 2nd ram stick back in, and started memtest86+ (newest version available). It completed 2 passes, zero errors reported.

Tried installing with these setups for the winxp install.
Stick A in Slot 1, Success!
Stick A in Slot 1, Stick B in Slot 2, Failed
Stick A in Slot 1, Stick B in Slot 2, Failed
Stick B in Slot 1, Failed1

For the mem86 test I did:
Stick A in Slot 1, Stick B in Slot 3, Zero Errors in 2 Passes.

So my question is: Do I still possibly have a bad stick of ram just waiting to muck up the works? Currently both sticks are in the system, and it has been working nicely for around 6 hours, but I'm headed home soon so need to get any RMA's (and the rebate) cleared up before I leave.

Faulty stick or just faulty software (or a different piece of hardware I haven't consiered).

System:
MSI P7N SLI Plat.
2x 1gb Crucial Ballistix.
500GB Seagate SATA HDD
LiteOn SATA DVD+RW
SilverStone 400W PSU
Radeon 3870
E7200

Thanks Ahead of time. And apologies for any errors above (will correct them if I find them), it is much too late for me to be typing up an issue like this.

Have you set the RAM voltage, speed and timings in BIOS? You say you have "2x 1gb Crucial Ballistix"? If the RAM is PC26400 it will require 2.0-2.1v as specified by the Mfg. to run at advertised specs. Your BIOs may be defaulting to 1.8v and causing the problem;. I would go in BIOS and be sure to set the RAM voltage to 2.1v, timings to 5-5-5-15, and set the transfer rate to 800MHz. if PC6400. If the DIMM(s) still fail with memtest, RMA it.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
LOL! for dual channel RAM to work, any good motherboard designed by a 10 year old will have the RAM sticks in slot 1 and 3 for dual channel so that 1:less heat and 2:more room if the sticks have massive heatsinks on them aka OCZ ReaperX)

had something else to say too but now i forgot :( anyway thats the gist of it, lol.