Sign in with
Your question

External harddrive - slow recognition, slow bootup, annoying autoplay

Last response: in Storage
October 3, 2009 11:29:55 AM

hi,

I have a 300GB Western Digital 3200JB External USB Device. My OS is Windows 7 Professional.
Windows says the "Type" is Local Disk and the "File system" is fat32.

I use fat32 because I store music on the drive that I also want to access from a Macintosh Computer.

I performed error checking and defragmentation.
The removal policy is set to "Quick Removal".
I use the standard driver that Windows automatically installed.

now to the problems:

1. From plugging the drive in it takes 1 minute and 15 seconds till I can access the files / till the auto-play appears.
2. If the drive is plugged in the boot-up process waits 1 minute and 15 seconds till it loads the login screen.
3. If I wake the PC from sleep mode the auto-play windows appears after 1 minute and 15 seconds so I guess Windows loses the device when it goes to sleep.

does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Is there a problem or is this normal?

do you need any additional information?

thx, G-Z

a b G Storage
October 5, 2009 1:58:23 PM

Welcome to the forums!

The behavior is normal.
a b G Storage
October 5, 2009 2:23:29 PM

Depends on how full the drive is.
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
October 5, 2009 2:50:14 PM

Quote:
The removal policy is set to "Quick Removal".

It shouldn't, this is a setting for external harddrives (USB/eSATA). It shouldnt be used on any internal harddrives let alone the system disk, as it lowers performance drastically by disabling writeback mode. This will limit the 'damage' whenever the connection is interrupted or cable is plugged before the system could securely disconnect the drive first by fishing any outbound I/O.

Did i understand you correctly if you said you installed windows on that external drive? You don't have any internal harddrive?
October 5, 2009 7:19:21 PM

first of all thanks for the answers ...

@evongugg: to me it seems like quite a long time to recognize an external hard-drive and it seems a strange decision that windows waits till the external hard drive is recognized till it shows the login screen. The Hard Drive is more or less 50 percent full.

@sub mesa: No I don't have windows installed on this external hard drive. Windows is installed on an internal hard drive. But Windows says that the external hard drive is an internal hard drive (local drive) which is strange. All my settings are the windows default settings, I didn't change anything.
a c 127 G Storage
October 6, 2009 4:39:38 AM

Could you download HDTune and post a screenshot of a completed benchmark on the external drive?
October 6, 2009 7:20:55 AM

sure, I didn't know about that tool.

I also don't know how to upload photos the this forum so I just post the numbers:

Transfer Rate: Minimum 18.8 MB/sec / Maximum 27.0 MB/sec / Average: 24.8 MB/sec.

Access Time: 14.5 ms
Burst Rate: 19.7 MB/sec
CPU Usage: 18.2%

I don't know if this numbers have anything to do with the time it takes windows to recognize the external drive.
!