Sign in with
Your question

Radeon CROSSFIRE bridge, Please help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 29, 2008 7:17:14 AM

After searching the web for hours, reading ati's site and manuals I still need help with this:
What is the correct way to link 2x hd 4850 ati cards? Do you use 2 bridge connectors like shown in my motherboard manual photo? Or 1 connector as shown in many online pics. Does it matter which way the connector faces? The bridge has the words: DIP -> pointing to one of the nodes, does this node have to land on a specific card? My crossfire compliant motherboard(MSI K9A2 Platinum) manual mentions a "crossfire edition" card as being the "main" card while the second card is referred to as the "crossfire ready" card. Even with these distinctions made there is no explanation of how to "set" these identical cards in these modes nor any instructions on which card the DIP node of the bridge connector should face? I am guessing that all this just does'nt matter and I can plug it in anyway I want but can anyone shed light on this as I want to take full advantage for the crossfire. Thanks in advance!
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2008 10:19:44 AM

So you have 2 connectors, why are you not putting them both on?
Saving one for later?

Put them both on if you have them (some don't come with them, that's why 'crossfire ready'), and then go into the control panel after reboot and then you can set the Xfire mode.
June 29, 2008 11:26:48 AM

Yes I have 2 connectors but there are conflicting posts about using 1 or 2 and even in what position that 1 should be in, I am looking for answers from people who have experience with these cards. I've seen benchmark tests done with both in place vs 1 in place and there was a very small difference so it doesn't seem to matter. My new problem now is that vista wont even recognize either card even after I installed the catalyst drivers from the cd. Do you have these cards and working in crossfire mode? If so does the placement of the node matter? ie the node marked dip? do you have 2 identical cards? are they set in master/slave mode somehow?
Related resources
June 29, 2008 11:15:05 PM

The answer is to use both bridges.
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2008 2:22:54 AM

Don't read reviews, RTFM page 2-21 !!

And use the Xfire cable that came with your MoBo if you didn't throw it out or lose it already.

Seriously why did you both with Xfire, it doesn't sound like the solution for you? Return thm and get a single HD4870/GTX260/GTX280 or wait for an HD4870X2, because this sounds like something you're not ready for.
September 15, 2009 1:19:05 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Don't read reviews, RTFM page 2-21 !! http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9283/rtfmtv5.gif

And use the Xfire cable that came with your MoBo if you didn't throw it out or lose it already.

Seriously why did you both with Xfire, it doesn't sound like the solution for you? Return thm and get a single HD4870/GTX260/GTX280 or wait for an HD4870X2, because this sounds like something you're not ready for.

And so this is supposed to be a help & advice site, huh?

Well, those answers were extremely helpful, what can I say (?!)... :sarcastic: 

As to your very erudite "RTFM", did you happen to miss IN THE VERY FIRST LINE of ms2040's initial post the part that reads:

Quote:
"...reading ati's site and manuals..."

Lots of things escape your valuable attention, don't they ? :heink: 

To give you a similarly helpful answer:

looks like great apes are not ready to provide technical help just yet...
(Or read a post properly and in its entirety, for that matter...)

My advice to you, then:

...find a leafy tree... and climb back onto it...

P.S.:

...still, it's wonderful that someone managed to train you to read and type to

the limited extent you've shown yourself capable !!!

Convey my congratulations to your trainer.

Though perhaps your social and communication skills need some fine-tuning... :whistle: 

P.P.S.:

...are "great grape apes" a sub-species of orang-utans ? :lol: 

To quote a certain gun-toting "nutjob"...:

..."damn' apes!"... :lol: 

Here are some REAL suggestions though:

Respond only to questions to which you KNOW the answer.

Learn the words: "I don't know" - and use them when & where appropriate.

( There is no shame in aknowledging being unaware of certain aspects and details of any given problem.

However: refusing to face our own limits can be, in many cases, a sign of stupidity. )

Posing ( being a "poser"/"poseur" ) IS generally stupid, foolish... and useless.

( "Posers" are found out sooner or later. )

If you DO KNOW the answer, but are unwilling to share it with the readers of these threads...

( for that would simply be beneath you, as you quite obviously consider ms2040's intellect to be beneath yours and not worthy of serious consideration... )

...you NEED NOT post. You're not obliged or forced in any way whatsoever.

( Remain isolated in your "omniscient cocoon", continuing to hoard your limitless knowledge.

If it's what you wish, we're fine with that... )

Cheers from the community of higher hominids,

and best wishes to all you apes out there:

may your evolutionary endeavors meet with continued success ! :hello:  :lol: 
!