Sign in with
Your question
Closed

RJ45-shaped ADSL Line port? N+ Wireless Modem Router

Last response: in Networking
January 19, 2009 2:05:19 AM

So I've just bought a N+ Wireless Modem Router, which has ADSL Modem built-in.
All the previous modem routers I've had used to have 4 RJ45 Ethernet ports and 1 RJ11 ADSL port. However this particular modem router seems to have 5 RJ45 ports, but 4 of them (LAN) have 8 pins and the 5th (ADSL Line) has 4 pins.

The manual indicates me to "unplug ADSL Line cable from your old modem and plug it into the ADSL Line port in the N+".

But it's strange since my ADSL cable is a small RJ11 plug, so why is the ADSL Line port is shaped like an RJ45?
Is it safe to plug it anyway? It is indeed different from the 8-pin RJ45 ports, as it has only 4-pins, like in the RJ11 ports.

Is it actually an RJ11 port, but shaped like an RJ45? Why such shape though? I've tested plugging a RJ45 cable into it and it fits perfectly... but it's odd why it should be able to since the port only has 4 pins.

Thanks
January 21, 2009 2:43:49 AM

It's just a combo port - it can take either RJ11 or RJ45. It's perfectly safe. The only difference between a 45 and 11 is that the 45 is bigger in order to handle 4 pairs instead of 2. If you wanted, you could cut the RJ11 off the silver satin and pop on a RJ45, keeping the copper in the center 4 pins. It'll work the exact same.

Now, if you plug in the RJ11, but it doesn't stay, then it's not a combo port, and that's just odd.
January 21, 2009 2:47:01 AM

Yeah I tried it, it plugs fine and stays fit. Thanks for clarifying it for me :) 
June 13, 2009 12:47:36 PM

seboj said:
It's just a combo port - it can take either RJ11 or RJ45. It's perfectly safe. The only difference between a 45 and 11 is that the 45 is bigger in order to handle 4 pairs instead of 2. If you wanted, you could cut the RJ11 off the silver satin and pop on a RJ45, keeping the copper in the center 4 pins. It'll work the exact same.

Now, if you plug in the RJ11, but it doesn't stay, then it's not a combo port, and that's just odd.

Hi, I have just bought Linksys N Ultra Range Plus ADSL2 + Router:

Right now I have a WiMax Connection in which a direct Cat5 Cable comes and goes to a Box and another Cat5 with RJ 45 goes to Ethernet Card.

Now do you think the same RJ45 can go as an Input line to the above said ADSL2+ router or I need to have converter from RJ45 to ADSL2+

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance
Related resources
!