Windows XP Built-in Backup Utility

How can I preset backup utility so I don't have to choose what to backup to
what location every single time? I want to be able to just open backup
utility & press start without having to choose the data & the location to
store the data.
7 answers Last reply
More about windows built backup utility

    G2000 wrote:
    > How can I preset backup utility so I don't have to choose what to backup to
    > what location every single time? I want to be able to just open backup
    > utility & press start without having to choose the data & the location to
    > store the data.

    In the screen where you make your selections go to jobs > then
    save selection as and give your backup set a name. Next time you
    backup just go to job > load selections and pick the backup set
    you want.. You could have several different ones. One for a full
    backup, one to backup user data etc.

    gls858

    Where is XP backup please?

    ">
    In the screen where you make your selections go to jobs > then
    save selection as and give your backup set a name. Next time you
    backup just go to job > load selections and pick the backup set
    you want.. You could have several different ones. One for a full
    backup, one to backup user data etc.

    gls858

    Is this a new question? Please start a new thread.

    It should be under "Accessories" in the start menu. If not, then install it
    through Add/Remove programs - Windows Components.

    I don't think it's installed by default.

    "Andrew Murray" <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > Is this a new question? Please start a new thread.
    >
    > It should be under "Accessories" in the start menu. If not, then install
    > it through Add/Remove programs - Windows Components.
    >
    > I don't think it's installed by default.
    It is installed on XP Pro.
    Jim

    "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > "Andrew Murray" <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> wrote in message
    >> Is this a new question? Please start a new thread.
    >>
    >> It should be under "Accessories" in the start menu. If not, then
    >> install it through Add/Remove programs - Windows Components.
    >>
    >> I don't think it's installed by default.
    > It is installed on XP Pro.
    > Jim

    in All Programs | Accessories | System Tools

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    If your version of XP Is the Home version then chances are it is not
    installed. See this link
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "MRCUSA" <mrcusa@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Where is XP backup please?
    >
    > ">
    > In the screen where you make your selections go to jobs > then
    > save selection as and give your backup set a name. Next time you
    > backup just go to job > load selections and pick the backup set
    > you want.. You could have several different ones. One for a full
    > backup, one to backup user data etc.
    >
    > gls858

    Hi,

    I know that you can create a bks file after you select the files that
    you want to backup and use it inside a .bat file with this information.You
    can use the task scheduler to run your bat files or run the .bat files. Look
    at this page
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs
    /en-us/ntbackup_command.mspx

    To do a test try this command: ntbackup backup "@C:\swd.bks" /J "backup job
    number 1" /F "C:\backup.bkf"

    "@C:\swd.bks" => file name saved with the information about the files that
    you will backup. to edit this file, after the creation, look at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237310/

    Jonatas

    --
    Regards,
    Jonatas G. Silva

    "G2000" wrote:

    > How can I preset backup utility so I don't have to choose what to backup to
    > what location every single time? I want to be able to just open backup
    > utility & press start without having to choose the data & the location to
    > store the data.

Backup Microsoft Windows XP