Sign in with
Your question

First SB750 board released

Last response: in CPUs
July 28, 2008 7:19:10 PM

Yes, that's right. Our pals from Asus have released the M3A79-T Tweaker's edition. It's a 790FX with the new SB.

http://www.i4u.com/article19277.html

Also, some Taiwanese sites mentioned a Jetway HA-07 790GX board. Google AMD SB750 and check the news. I guess Newegg will see those this week sometime. Of course, I'll let everyone know when I see them. Now AMD will have a real spider platform. I would hope that reviewers will stop BSing and actually run benchmarks on OCd Phenoms. With 2 4870s or 2 9800GTXs. nVidia has released the 780a version of the CrossHair. That's testing I would like to see.

See which one OCs better, see which combo of single cards is better. nVidia mobo\ATi GPU, nVidia mobo\nVidia GPU, etc. I'm actually torn between an AMD or nVidia mobo. I'd really like to see the comparison use an ASUS M3A79-T against an ASUS CrossHair. That way, we can set aside most component and engineering differences and see which chipset is better. AMD should love it as they sell a chip either way.

More about : sb750 board released

a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 28, 2008 7:28:48 PM

I'm waiting to see a non site person get one and test it to see if it truly does allow a OC without a voltage increase. Well more than one person really to see if it is across the board the same or dependant per chip like it has been.

Of course in my opinion Asus will be the better mobo and should allow the best OC as long as they use the same quality caps and such as they do on all their mobos.
July 28, 2008 7:32:55 PM

BaronMatrix said:
I'm actually torn between an AMD or nVidia mobo. I'd really like to see the comparison use an ASUS M3A79-T against an ASUS CrossHair.

Sounds to me like you are more torn on the GPU's that you want. I am not sure at what you are lookin to get, but if you are goin dual card solution I feel 2x4870's would be your best bet, which would leave you with the AMD solution. I would also like to see the reviews though. For a change if nothing else lol

On another note...I recently got my first ATI card with the AMD logo printed on the PCB (it was interesting to see). I am sure that having that would give you a great feeling BM. lol jp

Best,

3Ball
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2008 7:41:56 PM

I would go with just one card of the 2GB Radeon 4870X2.Forget nVidia.
It's too early for me to upgrade with the system that I just built but that ASUS 790FX,SB750 board does look very VERY nice.I would choose that ASUS board if everything is O.K. which it probably is.
Maybe I'll get a AM3 Deneb system next year.
Thanks for the link BaronMatrix.

a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 28, 2008 8:03:45 PM

I'm a little sad about the AMD logo being printed on the PCBs for the GPUs. ATI was my GPU love and now it says AMD. Feels weird cuz I always liked what ATI stood for (Advanced Technologies Inc). Oh well. Change is good I guess.
July 28, 2008 8:32:09 PM

jimmysmitty said:
I'm a little sad about the AMD logo being printed on the PCBs for the GPUs. ATI was my GPU love and now it says AMD. Feels weird cuz I always liked what ATI stood for (Advanced Technologies Inc). Oh well. Change is good I guess.

Yea I must say that I feel the same. Though my 4870 resembles very much so that of the old "original" ATI red PCB with the ATI Radeon printed across the Cooler in Red and Black. I was glad to see it when I pulled the card out of the box. lol

Best,

3Ball
a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 28, 2008 8:43:50 PM

^lol. Yea. I remember my 9700Pro. Then my Sapphire 9800XT which was a ATI 9800XT with Sapphires sticker over ATIs.

Well I hope your 4870 is good cuz I am going to get one someday.
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2008 8:48:24 PM

I had a ATI All in Wonder 9700 Pro back in 2003.That was a great card.
The ATI Rage II C's of the late 1990's sucked though(poor framerates).
I went with 3DFX cards back then.
July 28, 2008 8:54:05 PM

BaronMatrix said:
Yes, that's right. Our pals from Asus have released the M3A79-T Tweaker's edition. It's a 790FX with the new SB.

http://www.i4u.com/article19277.html

Actually, M3A79-T is based on 790GX.
July 28, 2008 8:56:22 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Well I hope your 4870 is good cuz I am going to get one someday.

Yea man it is great. I tested it all weekend. The card turned out as expected and the cooler does much better than I expected. I was going to change it, but I like the fix so much and how it is performing that I think I am goin to leave it how it is. (Plus the way it looks lol)

A couple of numbers for ya from the sytem in sig (winXP Pro):

~14k in 3Dmark06 @ stock CCC settings (other than the settings you see in sig obviously) and stock basic 3Dmark06 settings.

Crysis on all high @ 1680x1050 with no AA GPU benchmark: min 29 FPS, average 44 FPS, max 52 FPS. With the average gameplay FPS being ~40.

Maxed Counter Strike Source video stress test with 4x AA: 265 FPS

Maxed CoD 4 with 4x AA: Fraps shows around 70 - 80 FPS on average. Max is around 90 or so and min around 60.

Temps at 32% Fan speed:

Idle 45 - 50c depending on room temp conditions and load 75 - 85c depending on room temp conditions and load.

Not bad for $264.99 flat imo. lol

Best,

3Ball
July 28, 2008 8:59:34 PM

I am about to order that motherboard for my friend with a 9750 X4. I can't help it, I was able to hit 3.0 for him on a SB600 mobo, I can't wait to see whats possible. I always loved AMD, if I can hit 3.4 on that 9750 I might just build a Phenom system for the fun of it for myself. With some DDR2 1200 RAM, and the SB750 it should be a great option, and I wont have to buy a new CPU cooler for an Intel build, my after market 4800+ cooler still kicks. That said my E6750 will still be my gaming monster... and when the 4870 X2 comes out!
a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 28, 2008 9:15:55 PM

Yo 8Ball, do you have Vista? If so test Crysis with everything @ Very High with water and shadows on medium. Thats my settings (except I am at 1280x1024 which is a bit CPU limited) and I get average of 30-32FPS depending on if its the first maps or the frozen (frozen is a bit worse).
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2008 9:16:44 PM

yomamafor1 said:
Actually, M3A79-T is based on 790GX.

I went to the ASUS website.It does say 790FX.
July 28, 2008 9:22:05 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Yo 8Ball, do you have Vista? If so test Crysis with everything @ Very High with water and shadows on medium. Thats my settings (except I am at 1280x1024 which is a bit CPU limited) and I get average of 30-32FPS depending on if its the first maps or the frozen (frozen is a bit worse).

When I get home from work I will install vista onto a 2nd partition and let you know how it goes at that res/setting and let you know by tonight or tomorrow.

Best,

3Ball
a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 28, 2008 11:17:24 PM

^Sweet. Thanks man. Cuz I know I want a HD4870 and although I mainly play TF2 its nice to see how it may handle future games. I wish they would release either the 4870 1GB or the OCed ones soon.
July 29, 2008 1:07:28 AM

jj463rd said:
I went to the ASUS website.It does say 790FX.

I thought I could read.
July 29, 2008 1:15:18 AM

3Ball said:
Sounds to me like you are more torn on the GPU's that you want. I am not sure at what you are lookin to get, but if you are goin dual card solution I feel 2x4870's would be your best bet, which would leave you with the AMD solution. I would also like to see the reviews though. For a change if nothing else lol

On another note...I recently got my first ATI card with the AMD logo printed on the PCB (it was interesting to see). I am sure that having that would give you a great feeling BM. lol jp

Best,

3Ball

No, I have a 4850 in my plans. I just want to see the comparison. I actually don't care what the PCB says. AMDs engineers didn't make the chip and the logos still say ATi.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 29, 2008 1:19:52 AM

^Thats only b/c ATI designed up to the R900 before being bought out. Of course during that time things get changed.
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2008 1:29:42 AM

yomamafor1 said:
So either the ASUS website is incorrect, or the ASUSworld magazine I have in front of me is wrong.

EDIT: looks like ASUS website is wrong. I went there, and none of the mentioned M3A78-T
http://product.pcpop.com/000115169/Index.html

http://www.xfastest.com/viewthread.php?tid=11939&extra=...

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Ah but the board BaronMatrix has shown is the M3A79-T with the 790FX the M3A78-T looks like the GX version.
July 29, 2008 4:22:45 AM

Eh who cares about motherboards really? What AMD needs is a competitive cpu. Right now it just doesn't have one. Sux really, I like AMD but I was better off going with Intel this time around for my cpu.
July 29, 2008 4:34:44 AM

mossberg said:
Eh who cares about motherboards really? What AMD needs is a competitive cpu. Right now it just doesn't have one. Sux really, I like AMD but I was better off going with Intel this time around for my cpu.

In a way these motherboards will make AMD's current Phenoms more competitive if the boards perform as advertised. Remember that at stock speeds the 9750 and the Q6600 aren't very far apart and that the most frequently cited reason for choosing a Q6600 over a 9750 is that the Q6600 overclocks better. If these boards do allow better overclocking on Phenoms as advertised then this will make AMD processors more competitive in the $200 segment.
July 29, 2008 4:59:53 AM

That is a big IF. Thing is though in most things, if not all, an E8400 can beat a phenom. I was an AMD user for a long time but right now nothing they have out other than graphics cards even remotely interest me anymore. Even if these motherboards do close the gap and allow for better overclocking they still will not reach the speeds of a Q6600. An X3210 with its 8x multi would most likely clock higher even.
July 29, 2008 6:39:53 AM

I can't wait for the full Tom's and Anandtech reviews of these boards. Actually, I'm mostly looking forward to the Anandtech article. They get so much more in-depth and their technical explanations answer many questions I have from Tom's articles and help me to understand the tech that I constantly am talking about on these forums (otherwise, it'd be more dangerous for me to talk about the tech I don't own ;)  ).
July 29, 2008 11:32:55 AM

jimmysmitty said:
^Sweet. Thanks man. Cuz I know I want a HD4870 and although I mainly play TF2 its nice to see how it may handle future games. I wish they would release either the 4870 1GB or the OCed ones soon.

Hey man, I have some vista numbers for ya:

Crysis:

Your settings average is around 34 - 36 FPS. I find it takes a longer time for vista to load things into the cache initially and get things going than XP does, but after it does, it smoothens out fine. I bet that if you changed your shaders, shadows, objects and volumetric effects quality to high then left everything else on vary high your image quality would be the same or marginally better as well as your frames. Can test later when I get back home if you would like.

I also ran these settings @ 1680x1050 with no AA: High (Shaders, Shadow Quality, Object Quality, Volumetric Effects Quality, and Water Quality) everything else was on very high. The shaders, shadows and object quality are the biggest hits in Crysis performance.

Average FPS for my second setting was between 35 - 40 FPS. Max FPS on both settings were around 45 - 50 FPS. I didnt take the minimum frames because of the frame buffer loading into the cache time difference that I talked about vista having. The frames were very low for the minimum FPS range, but it doesnt represent the actual gameplay after a few seconds of letting things load up.

3Dmark06: ~13,750 (down ~250 from XP)

CS Source video stress test (maxed with 4xAA): ~285fps (up ~20 from XP)

Those were all the benchmarks I had time to run and vista still needs alittle tweaking, but the numbers will most likely turn out very similar after it is done. I will try and get some more when I get home later if I can manage to find some time. lol

Best,

3Ball

a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 29, 2008 1:31:45 PM

^Nice. Good to see it should PWN my current games. CS Source stress test on my HD2900Pro 1GB is 150FPS so I will just about double the FPS for it and more than likely in game as well.

I will have to wait though and save up. Hopefully they have a OC version for around $200 bucks in the next month or so so that I can get a new one and let my current GPU rest.

BTW have you tried to OC your memory yet? I have seen a MSI OC 4870 with the GPU @ 780MHz and the memory @ 4GHz (1000MHz) without a problem. Try that and see if it boost your FPS a bit in some games.
July 29, 2008 2:02:40 PM

jimmysmitty said:
^Nice. Good to see it should PWN my current games. CS Source stress test on my HD2900Pro 1GB is 150FPS so I will just about double the FPS for it and more than likely in game as well.

I will have to wait though and save up. Hopefully they have a OC version for around $200 bucks in the next month or so so that I can get a new one and let my current GPU rest.

BTW have you tried to OC your memory yet? I have seen a MSI OC 4870 with the GPU @ 780MHz and the memory @ 4GHz (1000MHz) without a problem. Try that and see if it boost your FPS a bit in some games.

Yea I can bump it up to 785mhz/1000mhz with stability. It is currently at 765mhz/950mhz w/ 32% fan speed (up from 750/900). I just left it at 765/950/32% for assurance. It actually made it for 4+ hours error free on artifact scanner with ATI tool. Settings were 30% fan speed running at 785/1000. I will post the difference once I get home and re-run the tests.

Quote:
You need a 4870 for CS:S, what res do you run :D 

lol, its just an easily accessible benchmark.

Best,

3Ball
a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 29, 2008 2:44:15 PM

Quote:
You need a 4870 for CS:S, what res do you run :D 

Don't diss Source. Its still a very powerful engine capable of some amazing effects, especially with TF2 and the facial animation & particle effects to list a few.

Only down side is the stress test and in game are very different. In TF2 I can hit 150FPS but thats because of my CPU. I have seen people with better GPUs than me fall short because their CPU was not as fast.

I think you will be able to OC it quite well without artifacts. The OCX editions will hit almost 950MHz and 1200MHz. I have heard of a air cooled version (but a lower OC of 850MHz for the GPU but still 1200MHz for memory) and a water cooled version. I just can't wait really.....
July 29, 2008 2:50:39 PM

jimmysmitty said:
I think you will be able to OC it quite well without artifacts. The OCX editions will hit almost 950MHz and 1200MHz. I have heard of a air cooled version (but a lower OC of 850MHz for the GPU but still 1200MHz for memory) and a water cooled version. I just can't wait really.....

lol, you to talk about not being able to wait. I was trying so hard to wait for the IceQ version, but when I saw the chance to get the visiontek for $264.99 with free shipping I just couldnt resist and had to order it. I cant say that I am dissappointed. lol

Best,

3Ball
July 29, 2008 2:53:21 PM

You guys are hijacking poor Baron's thread. ;)  I'll be interested to see what kinds of overclocks people can get with the new SB. It may make things somewhat interesting in the sub $200 range.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 29, 2008 2:53:31 PM

^Who would be? You are doubling my CS:S stress test results and since you have a decent CPU (damn nice OC BTW) you should also double your FPS in game and in TF2.

And from what I can see this GPU will probably be worthy enough to run HL2: EP3.

I wish I was rich and could just buy new stuff as it comes out.

As for the hijack, since its still about AMD its not that much of a hijack so :kaola: 
July 29, 2008 2:56:35 PM

A possible explanation of how AMD increased Phenom's overclock on SB750 by Ed from overclockers.com

http://www.overclockers.com/tips01369/

Quote:

Taken all together, saying that ACC is just another way of saying "clock skew" is at least a plausible explanation for what ACC actually is. It is an established overclocking tweak, and it would tend to help poor processors more than fast ones. Calling an established tweak something new is definitely embarrassing enough for AMD to obscure, and less obviously, the implication that some Phenoms need a little remedial help isn't something to brag about.

But even assuming all this is 100% true, this is hardly very bad from a technical standpoint, and you couldn't say it compromises the integrity of the CPU. What's happening here? Some timings are being relaxed by some miniscule amount. That's hardly a mortal sin in overclocking; it's more like a requirement.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 29, 2008 3:03:28 PM

^I just want to see if this will be a true OC ability for all Phenoms or still better for some and not that good for others.
July 29, 2008 3:16:02 PM

jimmysmitty said:
^Who would be? You are doubling my CS:S stress test results and since you have a decent CPU (damn nice OC BTW) you should also double your FPS in game and in TF2.

And from what I can see this GPU will probably be worthy enough to run HL2: EP3.

I wish I was rich and could just buy new stuff as it comes out.

As for the hijack, since its still about AMD its not that much of a hijack so :kaola: 

Thx, the 6420 is a great CPU. I have been debating whether or not to go with a Q6600 to drop into my AB9 Pro, but I dont want to change my cooler out, so I just dont know if it would be worth in since I dont think I could manage the same raw speed.

Yea, I expect this GPU to last me though the rest of my college career (1 - 1.5 yr's or so). I actually am not rich, but I was lucky enough to land a good internship in Ernst and Youngs IT department making $16 an hour for a full 40 hour work week this summer. My only bill is gas, though not a small bill, still leaves me with some extra scratch to spend on some parts.

I recently got an Antec 300 Case, Corsair TX650w PSU, 320gb Western Digital AAKS HDD, the memory you see in the sig and my 4870. The only real performance upgrade was the 4870, but the other parts were all nearly 3 years old and needed to be replaced.

So I am in fact a non-rich college student, but I will admit that I am not the average poor college student either, which I am thankfull for since this hobby is quite expensive lol.

uguv said:
You guys are hijacking poor Baron's thread. ;) 

lol, yea...oops! Sry BM.

yomamafor1 said:
A possible explanation of how AMD increased Phenom's overclock on SB750 by Ed from overclockers.com

http://www.overclockers.com/tips01369/

Interesting find.

Best,

3Ball
a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 29, 2008 3:21:39 PM

^I know you are not rich. As for getting the Q6600, I would suggest it as a 3.4GHz OC is not that hard. The Zalman 9500 will not be the best bet if it was a 9700 might be better. That or a Ultra 120 has been shown to allow up to 4GHz OC although I would not attempt much past 3.4GHz on air.
July 29, 2008 3:56:54 PM

jimmysmitty said:
^I know you are not rich. As for getting the Q6600, I would suggest it as a 3.4GHz OC is not that hard. The Zalman 9500 will not be the best bet if it was a 9700 might be better. That or a Ultra 120 has been shown to allow up to 4GHz OC although I would not attempt much past 3.4GHz on air.

I didnt mean it as an acusation, but more of an agreeance (just poorly worded lol)...as we all would love to just be able to get new stuff right when it comes out. lol, atleast....I assume so!

Yea I have been been borderlined on the CPU for quite a while now. At some point...something will push me over the edge I am sure lol. If that thing hits $150 then it will b in my computer within a week lol.

Best,

3Ball
a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 29, 2008 4:53:22 PM

^LMAO!!! I would do the same if I ever found a Q9650 that cheap. 3GHz stock and ability to probably OC to 4GHz on air all for sub $200? Hell yea!!!1
July 29, 2008 11:57:10 PM

Well Jim, I bumped up the speeds to what you see in the sig. There some change, but not much.

Crysis is getting a 1 - 2 FPS increase on both mine and your settings.

3Dmark06 got back up to ~14k (From the 13,750 earlier)

CS: Source is up similar to crysis, about 1 - 2 FPS from earlier

CoD 4 is sittin very similar to XP as far as the frames go with everything maxed @ 1680x1050 w/ 4xAA average is around 70 - 80 FPS with max at 90 and min ~60 or so. It looks to me like CoD 4 is actually capped at ~90 because it is constant once it reaches that high. Not that it matters, but just thought I would mention it.

Temps are all staying pretty much the same as well. With the increase in speed I saw a 1c increase at idle and 2c increase at load on average.

Best,

3Ball
a c 126 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
July 30, 2008 1:47:34 AM

^not bad at all. Thansk for the info. You should publish your own artilce for THG. Its much better than theirs as it runs the games that most ppl play where as they tend to run Supremme Commander for a GPU when its vastly CPU dependant.....
July 30, 2008 2:54:18 AM

jimmysmitty said:
^not bad at all. Thansk for the info. You should publish your own artilce for THG. Its much better than theirs as it runs the games that most ppl play where as they tend to run Supremme Commander for a GPU when its vastly CPU dependant.....

Anytime, thx!

Well ya know...I do what I can! lol jp

Best,

3Ball
!