[General Homebuilt] / need some troubleshooting.

G

to cut the long story short, the motherboard and the gfx card on my dads workstation, so i get New motherboard (DFI make) new graphics card, and some new DDR2 RAM. oh and the motherboard is compatible with the CPU (i checked)
so i hook them all up once the parts arrive and it boots up fine but when it gets to windows, it simply doesnt want to boot, i got a BSOD with 0x0000007B i think it was ( cant remember) and so i look it up and its because windows cant find the table or something on the drive, whatever, we needed to reinstall windows anyway, thats not the point. The SECOND time i booted it up, it never should me the screen (i.e. the monitor was in standby, and it never turned on, giving me a POST code of C1 (on this model you can see the POST in a LED display on the motherboard itself) ive checked it works fine w/ my macbook) so i did some research and some guys on a IRC channel working for Leo Laporte (famous radio talkshow host/tech guy) told me it was faulty Motherboard ( >_< ) so i got an RMA, and the new motherboard is all shiny, what not, but now i turn it on, and nothing happens at all, no post no boot no beep.
and im not rocket psychist, but you get me, im sure if i got no post no beeb no boot its not good :/

any suggestions what it may be? ram is out of the question, i tested the old and new one.

Specs:

(OS on HD is windows XP)

250 GB 7200 RPM seagate i think it is.
2.66 Ghz Pentium 4, HT (its a older cpu yet still supported)
Motherboard is a DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel
RAM is CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Gfx card is MSI N9600GT 512M OC GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

anybody have a clue what is going on?

im so stumped.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Did you replace the MB with the exact same kind?

I think the boot device(HDD) is confused, you mentioned you need to reinstall windows... did you?
0x0000007B "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE "

akhilles

Splendid
Assuming your parts are compatible and supported, I might be able to help. I should know cuz my LT is from RMA.

So your new board doesn't post, clear cmos & try each stick of ram in each of the slots. 2 sticks = 8 combos. Once the pc posts, go to bios, load optimized defaults, hold on, go to Genie > Voltage, up DRAM volt to 2.1v or specs, press F10 to save & exit. If the pc posts again, time to install the other stick of ram.

Once you get your pc up & running, there's one more thing to do in bios. Go to bios > Integrated Peripherals > OnChip IDE Device, set this page up like so:

RAID
DISABLED
ENABLED
RAID+IDE

This should get you boot Windows, but I found that installing XP on DFI X38 needs 2 different bios settings. Yup, that's why I switched to Vista 32 which runs EVERYTHING XP does except the drivers. If the above settings don't boot CD/DVD, change them to:

IDE
DISABLED
ENABLED
Native IDE

These will boot the cd, but not XP. You'll see "NTLDR is missing" or something like that. You might wanna try ACHI if you're installing XP. By the way, tapping <ESC> key will bring up a boot menu that lets you choose which drive to boot.

Long story short, the default bios settings don't work. You don't wanna know how many times I installed XP/Vista/Linux to find this out.