Login name is not same as username

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hi Folks,

Here's my problem. The login name I use to to logon to vista sp2 is not the same name that is displayed when the 'user' tab is clicked when using task manager or even PE. I've tried to change this by using the'start' tab, 'computer' tab, 'system properties' tab. I managed to change the 'computer description name' , and somehow it let me change the 'computer name', but this has not solved my problem or I would not be here.... MS said to open up 'windows explorer' to see what folder opens (this is suppose to determine what user is actually logged on) , and it's my folder and not the folder of the previous owner/current user name that is being displayed by TM or PE userid. Does anyone have any ideas to help me??? Not much on the net that seem to pertain to my situation. Truely THANK-YOU in ADVANCE, this is driving me nuts.

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

HI Saga Lout,

I thought I'd replied a couple of days ago but something went awry and.... well that's all I can tell you. Again thank-you for your interest. In answer to your query, yes, that's exactly what happens. The vista logon/login name and the folder opened by Windows explorer are the same. But the User tab in PE and TM shows the name of the previous owner. Also the 'User Account' function of 'Control Panel' does not show the user name displayed by TM and PE.

This is what happens when an existing account is simply renamed. In some places Windows takes the name from the account, and in others gets the name from the profile.

The profile is what you see in "C:\Users\<username>", where <username> is the original account name. DO NOT rename anything in there. In fact, unless you know exactly what you are doing, you don't even belong in there.

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

HI,

Thanks for the explanation. What I've have seen is that both folders, (the folder name of the original owner C:\Users\<username> , and the folder named after the vista logon/login user) have the exact same contents. Why is there a need for duplicate data in different folders?

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Hi,

Take a look at my response to 'ex_bubblehead'. Even though it might be best to ignore it, it's like 'a pebble in my shoe' to quote some mob movie. I used to be a mainframe IBM MVS systems programmer and systems software manager for 17+ years. So it's kind of difficult to let go so easily. What's really funny is that I did not think much of PCs, but after looking at the Windows OS, it functions a lot like IBM's MVS and VM OS.

They have the same contents because they are not different folders. The, as you put it, "logon/login user" is a system generated and managed pointer that points to "C:\Users\<username>". Windows uses lots of these indirections.

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

HI,

Thanx 'Stealthinator', but I'm running Vista Home Basic and it doesn't seem that the above navigation is possible. Unless you know something I don't (in which case I would not be surprised).

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

:lol:

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Hi guys,

I tried the navigation you suggested. Here is what happened. START>CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>COMPUTER MGMT. But there is nothing about 'LOCAL USERS GROUP' or 'USERS' in the left hand pane. The only thing I've seen that comes close is START>CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS>USER ACCOUNTS. In the 'TASK' heading there are 'Configure Advanced User Profile Properties' and 'Change My Environment Variables'. I have not changed anything in either of the mentioned two task.

The Home versions of Windows are notoriously restricted. If you can't get to it in Safe Mode, it isn't available without a Registry tweak. Try tapping Function 8 as you power the machine up and select Safe Mode from the menu. The Administrator account isn't usually visible in Vista and later versions but it may show up in the Home Basic version.

I_WONDER_WHY

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Hi Sage Lout,

I was able to to get to the safe mode options and other task that are available via PF8. The safe mode options did not address anything concerning user name. I did select 'computer repair' option, and was taken to a screen where there was a drop down box for admin name. The only options were the previous owner's user name, and something called 'updatususer'. I selected the previous owner's user name, and on a hunch I entered the password that I use to logon to Vista via the 'password' screen. I was able to continue, but I cancelled out of it since there was nothing relevent. I think perhaps I should back off all of my changes and start from square 1. There has to be a recommended way of changing the username to a new owner. Thanx everyone. I going to close this out.