DVD Player Causes System Reboot

kspector

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
HI,
I just rebuilt on of my systems, putting in a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard and an AMD Sempron 140 processor. I have 2 GB of RAM (2 x 1GB) and a 320w power supply.

There is an LG GSA-H54L DVD writer that seemed to be working well before the rebuild (I had a Biostar MOB and Duron processor) but now, when I put a DVD into the writer the system reboots.

Sometimes the reboot occurs right when I put the disk in and it starts reading...sometimes the reboot occurs when the disk is in the process of loading software off of it.

I have changed the IDE cable with no change.

Can any one suggest anything? It is driving me crazy.

Could it be the power supply being inadequate?

Thanks for any help I can get.

kspector

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008

Forgot to mention I am running XP SP3.

Snow_Prak

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I really hope you can get this problem fixed... i am having a similar problem. I have changed my drive, and the ide cable, but the problem still happens.
I even reinstalled windows, and have now gone as far as to wipe windows and migrate to Ubuntu, but even if i just try to acess the drive from a freaking dos boot it still reboots when i acess the drive... My next option is to try a bigger PSU, since i'm wondering if the damn thing isn't what's causing the reboot. if that doesn't work i'm gonn try aand install a new SATA DVD writer...

kspector

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I feel your pain....I have gone through EVERYTHING you have gone through. Changed IDE cables, reloaded windows, everything....

One an up note, I have resolved my problem. There is hope for you too.

Here is what I did.

Like you, I thought two things could be at the core of the issue....either the DVD writer was bad, or from what others online told me, the power supply could be on the way our, of just underpowered (it is a mongrel brand).

I bought a new SATA DVD writer and a new Thermaltake power supply (430w)to try.
When I plugged in the new DVD writer, the system no longer rebooted and I thought I had resolved the problem.

Then I tried the new power supply with my old DVD writer in the system and the system worked perfectly. So I figured the PS was that bad, or the old DVD writer drew too much power for it.

In any event, I wanted the bigger PS in so that I could also "unlock" the second core of my Sempron proscessor which I was able to do with the larger power supply. Now the Sempron has turned into an Athlon dual core processor!!

I kept the new power supply and returned the DVD writer. And the system is AWESOME now. I bet your problem is your power supply needs to be upgraded....

Good luck...let me know how it works out.