Sign in with
Your question

HD 4870 temprature, how serious?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 29, 2008 4:48:10 PM

Hello!

About to order my HD 4870 GPU. And after reading a lot of reviews its obvious the cooling is a problem or atleast not so good. But how serious is it? Should you immediatly change the fan or what?

And which manufacturer is to prefer(asus, powercolor, sapphire, HIS etc.) ?
Do they use different cooling/fans on this card?

Problem or just a bit hotter but nothing serious?

// Hansen

More about : 4870 temprature

June 29, 2008 4:54:30 PM

It's not going to melt your card or anything, it's just not nice to see load temperatures over 90C. All the manufacturers use the stock cooler right now, which is ok. The high temperatures are the result of drivers not running the fan properly, once the drivers are updated the temperatures should go down.

All the manufacturer's cards are identical right now, so it just comes down to which has the best warranty in your area.
Related resources
June 29, 2008 5:03:38 PM

its nothing that sum1 should lose sleep ova...
u could use rivatuner to max out the fan speed to improv stuff......or u could get one of those gr8 efficient aftermarket coolers used in 3870 n use it on the 4870.dey are identical......
howeva even if u don.....it wont turn ur pc into ash.....its all in the mind.....i wuld complain to...hell i complain wen ma amd 5600+ reaches 55*C on load...lol
June 29, 2008 5:06:39 PM

Definately tune the fan up. The almost 100C heat will rise up from the card to your cpu cooler just above it. You don't want to grill that cpu, it doesn't tolerate as much. :na: 
June 29, 2008 6:53:04 PM

sarwar_r87 said:
u could use rivatuner to max out the fan speed to improv stuff......or u could get one of those gr8 efficient aftermarket coolers used in 3870 n use it on the 4870.dey are identical......
howeva even if u don.....it wont turn ur pc into ash.....its all in the mind.....i wuld complain to...hell i complain wen ma amd 5600+ reaches 55*C on load...lol

word up homes
June 29, 2008 6:59:33 PM

sarwar_r87 said:

your post makes my brain hurt...

rivatuner on an ati card?
June 29, 2008 8:03:38 PM

I was wondering the same thing, I wonder how much of a difference reapplying some good thermal paste would make, since that cooler seems to be very good, the fan just wont kick in thanks to drivers.
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2008 11:55:32 PM

Awesome find erocker! That's just what I've been looking for! Now, if only my 4850 would come back from RMA :cry: 
June 30, 2008 12:58:21 AM

wow, that IS quite a find!
June 30, 2008 1:28:58 AM

Quote:
I'd love to take credit for this, but someone else came up with it. I wouldn't be surprised if the person worked for ATI either as it was his first post. Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. All you need to do is change just two values in the XML which is attached to an ATI Profile you created. I tried this and it worked perfectly, other than the noise generated by 65% fan speed as suggested. I'll experiment later. But it works and easy as anything. I edited his instruction just a hair. See below ....

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...69&postcount=8

Make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive and make sure clock and memory settings are correct.

For Vista

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Users\Your Windows ID\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

For XP

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

Now go down the page until you see the following lines in the XML file ...

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="23" />

Change the "Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value=" from "Automatic" to "Manual"

Then change "Property name="Want" value=" from "23" to your desired fan speed.
Save the file then reload the Profile you just edited in the CCC.

You will have to select the profile everytime you re-start the computer.

Edit:

After experimenting with my HIS HD4870 I found a fan-speed of 40% works best for me. My temps went from 79C at idle to 49C, and now 47C.

Backed off Fan to 35% like Runeman and still at only 48C. I'll take it.
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2008 2:01:01 AM

dagger said:
Definately tune the fan up. The almost 100C heat will rise up from the card to your cpu cooler just above it.

Very little of that heat will rise up, the HSF eject heat out the back on the HD4870.
June 30, 2008 2:08:10 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Very little of that heat will rise up, the HSF eject heat out the back on the HD4870.

At the speed that thing is spinning, it's not ejecting much... :p 
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2008 2:26:38 AM

dagger said:
At the speed that thing is spinning, it's not ejecting much... :p 

Which is irrelevant to your statement since while it may not be as effective or efficient as it can be its not like there's a vortex pulling the air backwards now is there? [:thegreatgrapeape:5]
June 30, 2008 2:39:56 AM

Does rivatuner support 4800s?
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2008 2:48:33 AM

To my knowledge it needs an update to do so, and I don't think it is out yet. I guess I'll just use this "hack" until I get a real program or ATI fixes it.
June 30, 2008 2:51:48 AM

Ah thanks ext. I just found the tech power up thread where crackerjack was having problems with it.
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2008 3:43:54 AM

Its not like my 8800gts which is pumping some of that heat back into my case. That sucks heheh or is that vortexes?
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2008 4:31:28 AM

Theres a CCC workaround you can use, just like when the 3xxx series came out. Some people are using it, and at 30+% fan at idle, theyre getting 40 to 50C and 60-70s load. Wait for the CCC update, itll really help these temps on both or all 4xxx series cards. Some have the fan at 60+% running 790 core and 4000 memory and are getting 70sC. So just wait, it wont hurt your card, and the 4870 dumps all the heat out the back, so your components are safe as well
June 30, 2008 5:56:32 AM

My HD4870 use stock cooler with temperature 76~78 degree Cel at idle status and Temperature around 86~90 degree cel at full load around 10 miniutes. I used the stock 4870 cooler for 4 days but I never alway power on my system on these 4 days. On the 5th day, I changed a Zalman VF1000 LED for my HD4870, the temperature is become 36~39 degree celisus at idle status and 44~46 degree celisus at Full Load for 30 minutes; the fan speed is around 1,500RPM. If you are going to use HD4870, let's change a better cooler because there was noisy for the stock cooler of speed close to 40%. I guess the temperature will be better control if I use Thermalright V2.
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2008 6:01:58 AM

Most of the modded CCC's using fan control on stock, people are keeping them at 30+% because of noise. But at 30% it seems to keep temps in good stride. Im waiting for all this to flush out, and maybe just going for a better fan solution, like on a HIS or something. I know that some are bypassing the bios and getting over 850 on core. Thats insane!!!
June 30, 2008 6:20:41 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Most of the modded CCC's using fan control on stock, people are keeping them at 30+% because of noise. But at 30% it seems to keep temps in good stride. Im waiting for all this to flush out, and maybe just going for a better fan solution, like on a HIS or something. I know that some are bypassing the bios and getting over 850 on core. Thats insane!!!

I was in the same frame of mind, as I might wait for HIS to produce a better cooling solution and pay extra as usual .... :kaola: 
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2008 6:29:21 AM

Yea, I just want a dual slot/out the back solution. One thats quiet and more efficient
June 30, 2008 1:02:26 PM

Hello I need you guy's help. I just added 1 more HD4870 tonight and I don't have time to buy additional cooler for 2nd HD4870.

I would like to know if I shall modify the "<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_1">" instead of "<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">?
If yes, I will modify the profile 1 as
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_1">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_1">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_1">
<Property name="Want" value="38" />
</Feature>
June 30, 2008 1:18:38 PM

That's great news! I was considering the Zalman vf1000 already for my imminent 4870's, I am pleased to hear that it had such a dramatic impact on your temps. Was there any problem with Crossfiring your new card in there due to space issues? Also how bright are those LEDs?

Thanks,
Pete
June 30, 2008 1:28:39 PM

Crazy-PC said:
My HD4870 use stock cooler with temperature 76~78 degree Cel at idle status and Temperature around 86~90 degree cel at full load around 10 miniutes. I used the stock 4870 cooler for 4 days but I never alway power on my system on these 4 days. On the 5th day, I changed a Zalman VF1000 LED for my HD4870, the temperature is become 36~39 degree celisus at idle status and 44~46 degree celisus at Full Load for 30 minutes; the fan speed is around 1,500RPM. If you are going to use HD4870, let's change a better cooler because there was noisy for the stock cooler of speed close to 40%. I guess the temperature will be better control if I use Thermalright V2.

looks like ati has made a very good gpu when you put an after market cooler on it it runs very cool, i just cant believe the temps that's way cool

JAYDEEJOHN said:

i wonder what the fps is like in games with it at that speed, plus diamond has one at 950 core and 1.200/4.8GHz efectivly now that's what i call insane, i bet it gives the 280 a run for its life, and maybe beat it
June 30, 2008 5:25:46 PM

Well I put in my HIS 4870 today. Apart from the driver CD being BLANK it works great. Idle temps were 71C, but after making a profile with fan speed set at 30% idle temp dropped to about 56C. My gaming profile is set to 45% and keeps load temperature under 65C. I'll pick up a new cooler at some point though, this one gets loud at anything over 40%.

3dmark06 score went from 5263 with my X1950 Pro to 13560 with this card, so I'm happy :D 
June 30, 2008 11:48:06 PM

copasetic said:
Well I put in my HIS 4870 today. Apart from the driver CD being BLANK it works great. Idle temps were 71C, but after making a profile with fan speed set at 30% idle temp dropped to about 56C. My gaming profile is set to 45% and keeps load temperature under 65C. I'll pick up a new cooler at some point though, this one gets loud at anything over 40%.

3dmark06 score went from 5263 with my X1950 Pro to 13560 with this card, so I'm happy :D 

Well, 4870, even with its fan running at 70%, still run at 97C full load during stress test.
http://en.expreview.com/2008/06/24/first-review-hd-4870...
Definately get that aftermarket cooler.

And isn't 13.5k 3dmark06 score way too low for 4870? Maybe you did something wrong. I get 15.5k on 8800gts, which 4870 is supposed to blow away. What are the graphics portion (sm2.0/sm3.0) scores?

a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2008 2:55:34 AM

I can throw post after post that the fan running anywheres near 70% they dont run that hot. That looks like the exception, not the rule. The heat issues will continue, and therell be rumors until is resolved. Id like to point out, ATI cards, as well as nVidia cards have run hot in the past. It just depends on which card, which gen. Until the fan fix is official, we dont even know what the intended temps are for these cards. The GT ran hot as hell also. Best bang for buck cards til the 4850s. Give em time
July 1, 2008 3:28:34 AM

copasetic said:

That is funny, I am jumping from an AGP 6800GT to the 4870. Hopefully I will see a small FPS boost like you did.... :heink: 

Once I confirm the card works, I am going to clean off that poo they use in place of thermal paste and apply some proper thermal paste to the HS in addition to the fan tweak. It is too bad there are no aftermarket VGA coolers that blow the air out of the back...I think those would sell quite well since the rear exhaust cooling solution is quite popular. I think JDJ is a big fan of it at least :sarcastic: 
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2008 3:53:13 AM

I hate the heat dumping on my components. Gpus are very hardy concerning heat, with the exception of GDDR. Other components arent so hardy, making them more susceptible to heat. Send it out the back, just like your fans in your case do for your other components. I dont want to have to worry about my temps, and we all know the most power hungry part is the gpu, thus the most heat producing as well. I want my gpu to be killer not A killer
July 1, 2008 4:38:56 AM

Im with you on that one. I want to get the stock cooling working as well as possible. The heatsink has heatpipes...it can't be all that bad. With a little TLC it should be a decent little stock cooler.

So far I hear that the fan adjustments are working great. People are saying 50% is just about as loud as they can take but gets the idle temps around 36 and low 60s for full load. If it is noisy or not....who knows....it is pretty subjective. Some are bothered by it others aren't. Hopefully rivatuner can and will be updated soon. This will be a fun little GPU to play around with :na: 
July 1, 2008 4:59:53 AM

dagger said:
Well, 4870, even with its fan running at 70%, still run at 97C full load during stress test.

And isn't 13.5k 3dmark06 score way too low for 4870? Maybe you did something wrong. I get 15.5k on 8800gts, which 4870 is supposed to blow away. What are the graphics portion (sm2.0/sm3.0) scores?
http://ourworld.cs.com/dagger9066/screenshot001.jpg

Maybe he doesn't have a quad core clocked @ 3.6ghz.

I have a dual core E8400 with the 4870 and I get 15.5k.
July 1, 2008 10:50:06 AM

Quote:

Well I'm running on XP with an E6850 and only 2 GB of RAM. That could have something to do with the lower score ;) 

Now that I've got a card that can keep up I'm starting to OC the processor. Up to 3.4ghz so far which improved my 3dMark06 score to 14.4k. SM2.0: 6205 SM3.0: 7419 CPU: 3046
July 1, 2008 6:32:27 PM

You guys really need to stop complaining about temps and noise. I have a vanilla 6800, and i have to run the fan at 100% to keep the temps at like 60 C idle. =O

I get over 100 C during load (something like furmark). And my fan sounds like a vaccum cleaner (almost).

Probably also helps that the fan is dinky =P.
July 1, 2008 7:07:37 PM

Well supposedly with just some cool air given to the cards and some decent thermal paste these things drop like 20degress.

And 3dmark aint nothing. Up until now ati won 3dmark and nvidia won games, thats opposite now though.
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2008 8:38:10 AM

Hatman said:
Well supposedly with just some cool air given to the cards and some decent thermal paste these things drop like 20degress.

And 3dmark aint nothing. Up until now ati won 3dmark and nvidia won games, thats opposite now though.

Just like the 1xxx series vs the 7xxx series. nVidia did great in bungholios, but got edged out in fps and AA
July 2, 2008 3:23:25 PM

petevsdrm said:
That's great news! I was considering the Zalman vf1000 already for my imminent 4870's, I am pleased to hear that it had such a dramatic impact on your temps. Was there any problem with Crossfiring your new card in there due to space issues? Also how bright are those LEDs?

Thanks,
Pete

The LED is not bright enough for disturbing you, at least it is fine for me.
July 2, 2008 3:34:06 PM

dagger said:

http://ourworld.cs.com/dagger9066/screenshot001.jpg

My point of view is that HD4870 only works better than 9800GTX and some area even better than GTX260 on high resolution and with 8xAA and 16xAF. HD4870 won't work much better than 9800GTX or 8800GTS at low resolution. When I used single 4870, it only scored 15,569 3DMark06 version 1.1.0 at 1280 x 1024.
July 2, 2008 8:48:15 PM

sarwar_r87 said:

dasfjkadghdsafewfeqf dafsjlkejwklrfejakw becuz lol ya hasfdlas fo shizzlay mah fadskld.

Please dude, you're on a hardware forum, please make an effort to make sense. Not asking you to make sure every word is spelled correctly, or not use acronyms at all, but at least post so it makes some kind of sense.

From what I've heard, part of it is a BIOS issue that makes it so the fan does not kick in correctly. This should be fixed very soon. No the heat issues won't be completely gone, but it should help a bit. Just turn the fan up to 60%+ and it should (assuming you have a decent case airflow), bring the temps down to at least 80ºC under load. I can't remember what site I read this on, otherwise I would give you a link.

Oh, and VisionTek is generally regarded as the best for ATi/AMD cards because of their lifetime warranty.

Didn't notice that link to the forum post that had a link to another forum post (my brain just fried.). Didn't think that turning the fan speed up to 50% would have that much effect :o . Nice find.
July 2, 2008 9:00:14 PM

If the fan fix doesn't help enough then a new coat of good quality thermal paste seems to do wonders for the 4800's. People have seen drops of 10C or more.
July 2, 2008 9:03:58 PM

copasetic said:
If the fan fix doesn't help enough then a new coat of good quality thermal paste seems to do wonders for the 4800's. People have seen drops of 10C or more.

Yeah that definitely helps. After having my 7900GS for a year and a half, i just replaced the thermal paste with some Arctic Silver 5.... dropped my idle and load temps by 10ºC. That's pretty significant seeing that thermal paste is cheap and silent :p 
July 2, 2008 9:26:43 PM

copasetic said:

I just did that with mine. Out of the box it idled around 78C. On the first boot up after the new thermal paste application it was idling at 56 or something like that and the fan went down to 0%. I was thinking....holy SH! and took a screen shot of GPUz since that was such a huge drop. After a couple more boots however, the idle temps started going back up and now I am back at ~68 for idle with a 16% fan speed. For how easy it is, swapping out the thermal paste for some better stuff is a nice little fix if you have it laying around.
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2008 11:06:32 PM

Even if you dont' have it lying around geting a small tube of Ceramique or AC MX2 is pretty cheap, and means no need for a 3rd party cooler, and you can keep the one that ejects the heat out the back, instead of trying to hunt one down that fits.
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2008 11:28:51 AM

I was pretty impressed with the stuff on my 4850. Stock it idled at 80C, with the fan at 55% (which I can't hear over the rest of my obnoxious fans) it dropped to 45C (with Aero running).
July 3, 2008 11:38:13 AM

EXT64 said:
I was pretty impressed with the stuff on my 4850. Stock it idled at 80C, with the fan at 55% (which I can't hear over the rest of my obnoxious fans) it dropped to 45C (with Aero running).

You must have some loud fans in that thing :ouch: 
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2008 2:00:02 PM

I do. I have several cheap case fans and a expansion slot fan (to suck the hot air out from the 4850). I guess I actually can hear the card fan, but it doesn't really bother me. Back when I had my 2900 I had to have the side off with a 8 inch desk fan blowing in. Just about anything is quieter than that, so I guess loud fans don't bother me any more.
July 3, 2008 7:20:28 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Even if you dont' have it lying around geting a small tube of Ceramique or AC MX2 is pretty cheap, and means no need for a 3rd party cooler, and you can keep the one that ejects the heat out the back, instead of trying to hunt one down that fits.

Very true. The rear exhaust is a splended solution to keeping your case cooler. I found one aftermarket rear exhaust cooler by thermal take but it only fits the x1900. If they make one to fit the 4800s they would probably sell them like hotcakes. This one looks really close to the cooler on the 4870 though...is the X1900 the same layout? I wonder how close of a fit it would be [:mousemonkey:2]

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1152&ID=15...
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2008 7:46:37 PM

I think they are similar, but it's a question of heat-sink to shim interface as well as memory placement.

IMO, expect AC to bring something out in a few weeks or so considering the hi demand. The Accelero is nice, but both models keep their heat in the cases.
!