HD 4870 temprature, how serious?

Hansen

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Hello!

About to order my HD 4870 GPU. And after reading a lot of reviews its obvious the cooling is a problem or atleast not so good. But how serious is it? Should you immediatly change the fan or what?

And which manufacturer is to prefer(asus, powercolor, sapphire, HIS etc.) ?
Do they use different cooling/fans on this card?

Problem or just a bit hotter but nothing serious?

// Hansen

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
It's not going to melt your card or anything, it's just not nice to see load temperatures over 90C. All the manufacturers use the stock cooler right now, which is ok. The high temperatures are the result of drivers not running the fan properly, once the drivers are updated the temperatures should go down.

All the manufacturer's cards are identical right now, so it just comes down to which has the best warranty in your area.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
For 4870, the highest under stress is 97C. You can see it's not much worse than 4850. The dual slot cooler helped a lot.
http://en.expreview.com/2008/06/24/first-review-hd-4870-and-hd-4850/6/

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
its nothing that sum1 should lose sleep ova...
u could use rivatuner to max out the fan speed to improv stuff......or u could get one of those gr8 efficient aftermarket coolers used in 3870 n use it on the 4870.dey are identical......
howeva even if u don.....it wont turn ur pc into ash.....its all in the mind.....i wuld complain to...hell i complain wen ma amd 5600+ reaches 55*C on load...lol

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Definately tune the fan up. The almost 100C heat will rise up from the card to your cpu cooler just above it. You don't want to grill that cpu, it doesn't tolerate as much. :na:

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008

word up homes

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

your post makes my brain hurt...

rivatuner on an ati card?

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I was wondering the same thing, I wonder how much of a difference reapplying some good thermal paste would make, since that cooler seems to be very good, the fan just wont kick in thanks to drivers.

Dominator_10

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1183676&postcount=207
I'd love to take credit for this, but someone else came up with it. I wouldn't be surprised if the person worked for ATI either as it was his first post. Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. All you need to do is change just two values in the XML which is attached to an ATI Profile you created. I tried this and it worked perfectly, other than the noise generated by 65% fan speed as suggested. I'll experiment later. But it works and easy as anything. I edited his instruction just a hair. See below ....

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...69&postcount=8

Make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive and make sure clock and memory settings are correct.

For Vista

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Users\Your Windows ID\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

For XP

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

Now go down the page until you see the following lines in the XML file ...

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="23" />

Change the "Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value=" from "Automatic" to "Manual"

Then change "Property name="Want" value=" from "23" to your desired fan speed.
Save the file then reload the Profile you just edited in the CCC.

You will have to select the profile everytime you re-start the computer.

Edit:

After experimenting with my HIS HD4870 I found a fan-speed of 40% works best for me. My temps went from 79C at idle to 49C, and now 47C.

Backed off Fan to 35% like Runeman and still at only 48C. I'll take it.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3100889#post3100889
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2751569&postcount=8

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

At the speed that thing is spinning, it's not ejecting much... :p

Which is irrelevant to your statement since while it may not be as effective or efficient as it can be its not like there's a vortex pulling the air backwards now is there? [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

Theres a CCC workaround you can use, just like when the 3xxx series came out. Some people are using it, and at 30+% fan at idle, theyre getting 40 to 50C and 60-70s load. Wait for the CCC update, itll really help these temps on both or all 4xxx series cards. Some have the fan at 60+% running 790 core and 4000 memory and are getting 70sC. So just wait, it wont hurt your card, and the 4870 dumps all the heat out the back, so your components are safe as well

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
My HD4870 use stock cooler with temperature 76~78 degree Cel at idle status and Temperature around 86~90 degree cel at full load around 10 miniutes. I used the stock 4870 cooler for 4 days but I never alway power on my system on these 4 days. On the 5th day, I changed a Zalman VF1000 LED for my HD4870, the temperature is become 36~39 degree celisus at idle status and 44~46 degree celisus at Full Load for 30 minutes; the fan speed is around 1,500RPM. If you are going to use HD4870, let's change a better cooler because there was noisy for the stock cooler of speed close to 40%. I guess the temperature will be better control if I use Thermalright V2.

Most of the modded CCC's using fan control on stock, people are keeping them at 30+% because of noise. But at 30% it seems to keep temps in good stride. Im waiting for all this to flush out, and maybe just going for a better fan solution, like on a HIS or something. I know that some are bypassing the bios and getting over 850 on core. Thats insane!!!

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005

I was in the same frame of mind, as I might wait for HIS to produce a better cooling solution and pay extra as usual .... :kaola:

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Hello I need you guy's help. I just added 1 more HD4870 tonight and I don't have time to buy additional cooler for 2nd HD4870.

I would like to know if I shall modify the "<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_1">" instead of "<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">?
If yes, I will modify the profile 1 as
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_1">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_1">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_1">
<Property name="Want" value="38" />
</Feature>