Sign in with
Your question

Hot 8800GT artifacting/freezing - cooler or RMA?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 29, 2008 5:20:27 PM

Hey all,

My Point of View 8800GT runs like a seriously angry little monkey:

Runs 63 degrees at idle, goes up to 91 on load (when playing Oblivion for example).

So I tried to get it cooler - I set up rivatuner profiles so that it runs the fan @ 100 % when it gets hot... however, my Oblivion still crashed (froze for 10 seconds, then resumed but with artifacts instead of graphics - really weird - ie the text boxes were unreadable, ... it has also blue screened and used to go black screen (monitor off) before I got a new 750W power supply...

I don't know what I should do - should I just return the card (to ebuyer in the UK) and get another one? What do people do - I'll be without a computer for 2 weeks surely? This would really suck for me as I need my computer daily for work / stress release with gaming!!!

OR - I haven't done this because I don't want to lose the warranty if I have to give it back - I could get a cooler like the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 (http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/Arctic-Cooling-Accel...) to make it cooler... but how do I know this will definitely work? My card is way hotter than other 8800GTs...

Maybe I could try to redo the thermal paste - some people have had success with this???

Please tell me your experience of this problem and what is the best to do...

If I return to ebuyer do I have to buy another one or can I get a refund? If I am guaranteed a refund I can just buy another card, then return the other one later! If they say it isn't broken, they really are lying... (I think - but do I need to prove it?)

Thanks for your help!
June 29, 2008 5:24:05 PM

If you ran the fan at 100% and temperature is still that high, rma it. Consider getting a refund and buying a dual slot card if you can.
June 29, 2008 7:20:17 PM

Yep - only when I play Oblivion on 1600x1200 though - if I turn down the settings (which looks much less nice sadly) to 1024 then it only runs at about 74 degrees...

I think I'm going to have to return it - but it's SUCH a hassle... wish they'd just have released decent products in the first place! :-S
Related resources
June 29, 2008 8:58:43 PM

are you overclocking the video card?
June 29, 2008 9:19:33 PM

An aftermarket cooler will work.
Arctic Cooling Accelero
DuOrb
Zalman VF 900 or 1000

Other good choices also, I use a VF900
Most important, how is your case airflow?
You need to get the heat out of your case.
I run a 8800GT at the clocks in my sig w/VF900 and an extra 80mm case fan in the lower rear of my Sonata case set to exhaust with temps of 42c idle, 58c load.
June 29, 2008 11:53:48 PM

I use an eVGA 8800GT.

- 50 C : idle in the winter
- 57 C : idle in the summer
- 65 C : UT3
- 70 C : COD4
- 80 C : Crysis

The card is very dependent on the ambient temperature. I put a book-sized block of ice in front of my 120 mm intake fan and the card's temp dropped 3 C. Your temps don't seem that much higher than mine and I have no problem running everything maxed out. Invest in more fans or better cooling.
June 30, 2008 4:32:57 PM

ovaltineplease said:
are you overclocking the video card?

Nope - stock speeds! If I were O/C ing I'd be more tolerant to it being a small furnace! ;-)
June 30, 2008 4:34:47 PM

kpo6969 said:
An aftermarket cooler will work.
Arctic Cooling Accelero
DuOrb
Zalman VF 900 or 1000

Other good choices also, I use a VF900
Most important, how is your case airflow?
You need to get the heat out of your case.
I run a 8800GT at the clocks in my sig w/VF900 and an extra 80mm case fan in the lower rear of my Sonata case set to exhaust with temps of 42c idle, 58c load.

I have an Antec Sonata (the first one - not III or anything) case too - I have an extra exhaust fan too! Mine is at the bottom hanging over one of the PCI slots and using a PCI exit hole to get the air out...

Not sure what else I can do with that case to improve air flow... any ideas welcome! ???
July 2, 2008 10:51:17 AM

I put another fan in the box - one onto the HDDs - and now it works fine!!! Thanks for the suggestions :-)
July 2, 2008 9:09:39 PM

Your welcome.
!