onboard sound problems, hdmi works but analog doesnt

adamryer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I have an asus m2n-sli deluxe mobo and a sapphire radeon hd 2600xt video card. I use the ati dvi-hdmi adapter to watch blu-ray on my lcd tv. the adapter has 5.1ch audio passthrough built in, so I can output digital audio from my video card to my tv. It works great but now I can't get sound to come out of my speakers hooked to my comp with analog cables. I went into audio settings and windows and changed the default playback device from hdmi back to analog and they still dont work. any ideas?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Vista or XP?
Changed the drivers lately?

So your trying to run sound/vid to the TV speakers through the HDMI adapter AND also get comp speakers to work at same time?

LCL3030

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I also have this problem.
ABIT KN8 SLI, Radeon 4870. I don't use HDMI at all, but it overrides my onboard sound. There appears to be no stopping it.

I've tried disabling it - disables my onboard too. Ive tried installing the newest realtek drivers and board drivers to no avail. I've checked all volume controls, all connections, all default audio devices -- everything.

A friend of mine had the same problem and he eventually gave up and bought another sound card and stop using onboard. It solved the problem.